Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

Wood floor restoration before or after other works?

Does what it says on the tin
Jopo1
Lemon Pip

Wood floor restoration before or after other works?

Postby Jopo1 » June 29th, 2021, 2:35 pm

Hi, Can anyone advise.....?
We're having our living room wood floor restored (sand/fill/stain/finish) but also having a some messy electrical works, small messy building works and a large joinery job (custom alcove shelves and cupboards) in the same room. And of course a decorator at the end to finish it off.

The Joiner reckons he should do his work before the floor as he'll be bringing large sheets of MDF and heavy tools into the room.

The electrician will be pulling off skirting boards in the first fix, so I think she should be first.

The builder is doing some messy jobs, but small stuff that the floor can be protected from. He'll also be plastering any channels the electrician has had to gauge in the plasterwork.

The floor restorer says he can come in first no problem.... but then of course he doesn't care if the joiner damages it afterwards, it's not his problem. I've read it can take 4 days for the floor finish to cure before heavy furniture can be moved back in.

So I'm thinking, electrician closely followed by builder, then joiner, then floor. Then the floor can cure for a week before the decorator comes in.

Would that be the best order to do things?

Thanks
Jopo

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Re: Wood floor restoration before or after other works?

Postby bungeejumper » June 29th, 2021, 3:11 pm

That sounds about right to me. Always assuming that your builder doesn't discover any nasties, and that your joiner doesnt.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v1dvAxA9ib0 :D

BJ

88V8
Lemon Half

Re: Wood floor restoration before or after other works?

Postby 88V8 » June 29th, 2021, 6:17 pm

I've always done this sort of stuff myself rather than paying people, but if I were sequencing, I'd do any messy work on the floor - repairing, sanding - during the 'messy' stage, then protect it to the necessary degree, and leave the varnishing or whatever finish until the very end after the decorating.

That way, anything dropped on the floor can be cleared up. The final coat on the floor may not be walkable for a day if it's a two-pack, or a week or more if it's some sort of stain and doesn't dry as expected, so that would be the very last job.

V8

Return to “Building and DIY”