Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

Boiler making grinding noise

Does what it says on the tin
paulnumbers
Lemon Slice

Boiler making grinding noise

Postby paulnumbers » July 2nd, 2021, 6:10 am

Wonder if one can help.

Combi Boiler, Vokera 29e

it’s making a grinding noise :-

a) intermittently when the central heating is on

b) intermittently when it fires up during the day when no central heating is on for approx 1 minute

c) NOT when used for hot water, that I notice

The noise is quite noticeable right through the house from the pipe work

I’ve assumed it’s the pump, and have bought one ready for heating engineer to fit, but after a little more googling wonder if it might be the fan

Any thoughts from anyone please?

Mike4
Lemon Half

Re: Boiler making grinding noise

Postby Mike4 » July 2nd, 2021, 10:34 am

paulnumbers wrote:Wonder if one can help.

Combi Boiler, Vokera 29e

I don't know much about Vokèra boilers, they are a scottish thing really. Trouble is with any boiler problem the first hurdle is identifying exactly which boiler it is and Vokèra made a LOT of models over the years. Annoyingly none appears to be called "29e" so I can't look up the manual and virtually peer inside yours. Vokèras usually have a name as well as a number. The nearest I can find is the "Vokèra Mynute 29 EHE". Or do you have a G.C. number for it perhaps?

Generically however, about the only thing inside an 'ordinary' combi that makes a grinding noise is the flue fan. New fans are getting expensive nowadays so you might find it worth sending yours to a firm such as cetltd.com to have it reconditioned.

(Speeling edit.)

paulnumbers
Lemon Slice

Postby paulnumbers » July 3rd, 2021, 3:08 pm

Mike4 wrote:
paulnumbers wrote:Wonder if one can help.

Combi Boiler, Vokera 29e

I don't know much about Vokèra boilers, they are a scottish thing really. Trouble is with any boiler problem the first hurdle is identifying exactly which boiler it is and Vokèra made a LOT of models over the years. Annoyingly none appears to be called "29e" so I can't look up the manual and virtually peer inside yours. Vokèras usually have a name as well as a number. The nearest I can find is the "Vokèra Mynute 29 EHE". Or do you have a G.C. number for it perhaps?

Generically however, about the only thing inside an 'ordinary' combi that makes a grinding noise is the flue fan. New fans are getting expensive nowadays so you might find it worth sending yours to a firm such as cetltd.com to have it reconditioned.

(Speeling edit.)

Thanks as ever Mike.

I believe this is the one. https://www.vokera.co.uk/wp-content/upl ... manual.pdf

It has the part number for the fan, which i've since ordered from ebay, so I'll get the chap to fit it next week.

Follow up question. ;-) Eventually I'll replace with a more modern boiler. Is it always the case you need a new flu fitted when that happens?

Paul

tacpot12
2 Lemon pips

Postby tacpot12 » July 3rd, 2021, 6:45 pm

It is usually the case that a new flue is required, sometimes because the position of the flue on the new boiler, sometimes because of how the flue connects to the boiler, and sometimes because the old flue is corroded or damaged.

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » July 3rd, 2021, 11:32 pm

The big boiler installers all seem to include it as standard, and in my recent thread our Foolish boilerman indicated it's what he'd expect.

Return to “Building and DIY”