Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

Boiler troubles...

Does what it says on the tin
RedSnapper
2 Lemon pips

Boiler troubles...

Postby RedSnapper » July 7th, 2021, 9:30 am

We have an Ideal Logic+ combi boiler, about 9 years old. It has started taking ages to produce hot water (about 3 minutes). If we run the hot water tap (when there is no demand from the heating) the boiler appears to start, stop,start, stop about 3 or 4 times before settling in to actually heat the water (from which point it continues to work absolutely fine). Either that or it goes to ignition lockout with a generic message about low gas pressure/contact installer/reset. In this instance 'reset' Always works. Our gas pressure is fine (it was checked at the last service). It also seems to spend a lot of time in 'Pump Overun' mode, even when hot water taps have only just been turned on.

Any thoughts gratefully recieved so we can work out how best to proceed.

"Get a boiler man out to look at it!" - Absolutely, tried that. Three have not had a clue. We're finding it very difficult to get anyone out. New boiler, new bathroom, completely broken boiler - easy to get someone. Unknown issue causing irritating problem - not interested. Had another one cancel this morning for the second time half an hour before they were due to be here.

Mike4
Lemon Half

Re: Boiler troubles...

Postby Mike4 » July 7th, 2021, 9:42 am

RedSnapper wrote:We have an Ideal Logic+ combi boiler, about 9 years old. It has started taking ages to produce hot water (about 3 minutes). If we run the hot water tap (when there is no demand from the heating) the boiler appears to start, stop,start, stop about 3 or 4 times before settling in to actually heat the water (from which point it continues to work absolutely fine). Either that or it goes to ignition lockout with a generic message about low gas pressure/contact installer/reset. In this instance 'reset' Always works. Our gas pressure is fine (it was checked at the last service). It also seems to spend a lot of time in 'Pump Overun' mode, even when hot water taps have only just been turned on.

Any thoughts gratefully recieved so we can work out how best to proceed.

"Get a boiler man out to look at it!" - Absolutely, tried that. Three have not had a clue. We're finding it very difficult to get anyone out. New boiler, new bathroom, completely broken boiler - easy to get someone. Unknown issue causing irritating problem - not interested. Had another one cancel this morning for the second time half an hour before they were due to be here.

Firstly, this is not a boiler I'm familiar with but Ideal have sold an absolute ton of them and they are all beginning to go wrong so it's probably time I got to know them.

Having said that, this sounds like the behaviour of a boiler that has never been properly serviced. Has any service technician actually taken it to pieces during a service or do they just do a 'poke and go', i.e. use a gas analyser to declare it is fine and no dismantling is required?

I'd also suggest of the three you've have out who had not a clue, none was a proper boiler man or they'd have made some serious effort to fix this. It can't be that difficult! Or at least, a fault that consistently presents itself on testing is rarely that hard to fix. If the boiler worked fine for each of these three bods when they tried it, that is much more difficult to deal with.

I'll do a bit of reading up on this boiler and come back to you. Another idea is call Ideal and see if they will offer you a 'fixed price repair' by one of their in-house technicians. Some of the Ideal bods are very good.

Mike4
Lemon Half

Postby Mike4 » July 7th, 2021, 9:59 am

RedSnapper wrote:Either that or it goes to ignition lockout with a generic message about low gas pressure/contact installer/reset. In this instance 'reset' Always works. Our gas pressure is fine (it was checked at the last service).

Can you quote the exact error message please?

Reading the manual for the "Logic+ Combi 24, 30, 35", there is no such generic message listed so I'd like to raise this with Ideal.

Or do I have the wrong boiler model perhaps? I see there is also a "Logic+ Combi C24, C30, C35". Is this yours perhaps? Your boiler will have a data plate on it somewhere with a "G.C. Number" which positively identifies your exact boiler. In the format XX XXX XX, e.g. 47.348.65. What does yours say please?

RedSnapper
2 Lemon pips

Postby RedSnapper » July 7th, 2021, 10:21 am

Mike4 wrote:
RedSnapper wrote:Either that or it goes to ignition lockout with a generic message about low gas pressure/contact installer/reset. In this instance 'reset' Always works. Our gas pressure is fine (it was checked at the last service).

Reading the manual for the "Logic+ Combi 24, 30, 35", there is no such generic message listed so I'd like to raise this with Ideal.

Or do I have the wrong boiler model perhaps? I see there is also a "Logic+ Combi C24, C30, C35". Is this yours perhaps? Your boiler will have a data plate on it somewhere with a "G.C. Number" which positively identifies your exact boiler. In the format XX XXX XX, e.g. 47.348.65. What does yours say please?

Hi,thanks for this. You are spot on with the level of servicing I fear. The exact model is a Logic + Combi 30 47-348-66

The precise error quoted is 'Ignition Lockout - 1 Check other gas appliances 2. Reset Boiler 3. Contact Installer'

Mike4
Lemon Half

Postby Mike4 » July 7th, 2021, 10:31 am

RedSnapper wrote:
Mike4 wrote:

Hi,thanks for this. You are spot on with the level of servicing I fear. The exact model is a Logic + Combi 30 47-348-66

The precise error quoted is 'Ignition Lockout - 1 Check other gas appliances 2. Reset Boiler 3. Contact Installer'

Ok thanks!

Frame 79 on page 57 of the manual deals with this. Possibly the cause is a blocked condensate trap, something that should have been cleaned during a service but is often skipped. If the trap is clear then the flame detection electrode needs cleaning but IIRC, this boiler suffers from spark generator failure and a new spark module is likely to fix it. But most likely fix is a new gas valve. Every busted Logic I ever fixed needed a new gas valve. Both of them!

RedSnapper
2 Lemon pips

Postby RedSnapper » July 7th, 2021, 11:02 am

Mike4 wrote:
Ok thanks!

Frame 79 on page 57 of the manual deals with this. Possibly the cause is a blocked condensate trap, something that should have been cleaned during a service but is often skipped. If the trap is clear then the flame detection electrode needs cleaning but IIRC, this boiler suffers from spark generator failure and a new spark module is likely to fix it. But most likely fix is a new gas valve. Every busted Logic I ever fixed needed a new gas valve. Both of them!

Thank you, that's really immensely helpful. It's not the condensate trap (we've had issues with that before due to shoddy installation so I check it regularly, gurgling is usually a giveaway). I think we'll try the Ideal solution, at least we get some certainty of success that way (just so long as they don't send the oiks that installed it in the first place....).

Return to “Building and DIY”