Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

Storage heater replacement in holiday let

Does what it says on the tin
Clariman
Lemon Quarter

Storage heater replacement in holiday let

Postby Clariman » July 29th, 2021, 8:27 am

A couple of years ago I asked about options to replace the old storage heaters (now 18 years old) in a holiday let. It prompted a very interesting discussion about options. Ultimately the business case wasn't there so we left them. Thread here viewtopic.php?f=40&t=19855&p=256829&hilit=Storage+heaters#p256829

With them getting more rusty and more old fashioned by the day, we are going to replace them. Given their cost effectiveness and simplicity we will probably install modern equivalents but if other technologies have moved on we would be interested to hear about them.

I'd also be interested to hear of any experiences of operating them remotely via the Internet, so I could switch them off when unoccupied. Dimplex Quantum have this capability. Do they work? Are they worth the money?

Also any recommendations for models and manufacturers? Replacing the old Creda ones with Dimplex Quantum would be around £2200, new Creda ones only £1500.

Thanks
Clariman

Clariman
Lemon Quarter

Re: Storage heater replacement in holiday let

Postby Clariman » July 29th, 2021, 11:06 am

Just had a chat with a local electrician (local to the property) who said that most people in the area have been replacing their storage heaters with thermostatically controlled electric radiators on a standard tariff as opposed economy-7 overnight. The more expensive ones come with remote access to control them.

He said that storage heaters were no longer available. Do the latest environmental directives and the negative reviews of the Dimplex Quantum 'storage heaters' effectively mean that they are no longer a sensible consideration? When I asked him about the new Creda ranges and the Dimplex Quantum he said he'd need to check them out.

So I'm not sure whether that conversation reflects on the unpopularity/impracticality of modern storage heaters or on the knowledge of the electrician :?

Hmm

csearle
Lemon Quarter

Postby csearle » July 29th, 2021, 8:15 pm

I can't help thinking that an air-source heat pump blowing air into the main area would be a cheaper option. Not sure whether they do internet active ones. C.

richlist
Lemon Quarter

Postby richlist » July 29th, 2021, 8:46 pm

I 've posted about the air sourced heat pump I have in Spain, before, on other threads. In Spain they are called inverter air conditioning units. It does get cold in Spain during the winter, -5C is not uncommon. The unit works fine, it pumps out hot air with no problems.
The indoor unit is fairly quiet, the outside unit is a bit louder.

Howard
Lemon Quarter

Postby Howard » July 29th, 2021, 9:17 pm

I had air conditioning installed a few years ago and use it for occasional heating if I don't want to heat the whole house. I've been surprised at the low cost of running it as a heating source. As a modern system it is incredibly quiet both inside and outside the house. Neighbours recently have had more powerful systems installed. I have walked next to their houses late at night and have strained to hear any noise. And this is in the country with no traffic or other noise, perhaps just the hoot of an owl.

So I'd suggest listening to a modern air source unit both inside and outside to decide if you can hear it. I did this in a showroom and outside it before buying. In my experience they are very quiet.

I'm not sure whether this type of unit is suitable for a holiday let. However, it was aircon in holiday homes in France and Spain which persuaded me it was a good idea. Certainly my system can be controlled from the internet. (An extra module is required).

regards

Howard

see viewtopic.php?p=217990#p217990 for details of the aircon

Return to “Building and DIY”