Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Filling damaged chipboard

Does what it says on the tin
mc2fool
Lemon Half

Filling damaged chipboard

Postby mc2fool » August 5th, 2021, 4:25 pm

I've got some corridor "service duct" cupboards with some damaged veneered chipboard that I'm looking to repair. (Don't be fooled by the edge veneer; it is chipboard inside!)

Copyright me!

I'm not interested in replacing the board, and visuals aren't important as that edge becomes covered once the access hatch is put back on, and the hatch is usually only opened when needed by plumbers or OpenReach anyway.

I'm thinking of either trying to brush in some PVA adhesive* or filling it with Ronseal Wood Filler** (the one with the hardener that sets rock hard), and in both cases putting a couple of bits of wood either side and squeezing it together with a G clamp until set.

Any thoughts on PVA vs Wood Filler? Or any other ideas/methods/whatever? :D

* I've got some of the Wickes PVA adhesive in the garage. ** and some of the Ronseal Wood Filler too.

fisher
Lemon Slice

Re: Filling damaged chipboard

Postby fisher » August 5th, 2021, 5:03 pm

Perhaps some PU expanding adhesive like this if you're going to clamp it. https://www.toolstation.com/5-minute-po ... lsrc=aw.ds

There's a 30 minute setting one available too if the 5 minutes is too quick setting for you.

Alternatively some solvent based gripfill squirted in with a mastic gun and clamped.

I'd probably not use pva, as the chipboard would soak it up and leave less on the surface to adhere, whereas the PU would expand to fill the rough chipboard surface.

I'd probably go with the PU glue myself. Wear gloves if you go this route and don't get any on your clothes. It's messy stuff.

mc2fool
Lemon Half

Postby mc2fool » August 5th, 2021, 7:57 pm

fisher wrote:Perhaps some PU expanding adhesive like this if you're going to clamp it. https://www.toolstation.com/5-minute-po ... lsrc=aw.ds

There's a 30 minute setting one available too if the 5 minutes is too quick setting for you.

Interesting ... does it set hard enough to screw into?

fisher
Lemon Slice

Postby fisher » August 5th, 2021, 10:04 pm

mc2fool wrote:
fisher wrote:Perhaps some PU expanding adhesive like this if you're going to clamp it. https://www.toolstation.com/5-minute-po ... lsrc=aw.ds

Interesting ... does it set hard enough to screw into?

No, I think maybe I've misunderstood. The PU would be good if you're going to clamp the two sides of the split tight to each other. It would expand into any small gap. It sets hard as it expands itself against tight surfaces which constrain its capacity to expand. If the gap is to remain large it would be more of a honeycomb and would not be hard enough, nor as strong a bond.

If the gap is to remain and needs filling then certainly Gripfill would be good for the job. Your ronseal wood filler may also work, but gripfill also has the advantage that it is applied by mastic gun which helps if the gap is deep.

I dont think PVA is a good solution in either case.

mc2fool
Lemon Half

Postby mc2fool » August 5th, 2021, 10:34 pm

fisher wrote:
mc2fool wrote:Interesting ... does it set hard enough to screw into?

No, I think maybe I've misunderstood. The PU would be good if you're going to clamp the two sides of the split tight to each other. It would expand into any small gap. It sets hard as it expands itself against tight surfaces which constrain its capacity to expand. If the gap is to remain large it would be more of a honeycomb and would not be hard enough, nor as strong a bond.

If the gap is to remain and needs filling then certainly Gripfill would be good for the job. Your ronseal wood filler may also work, but gripfill also has the advantage that it is applied by mastic gun which helps if the gap is deep.

I dont think PVA is a good solution in either case.

No, you didn't misunderstand, I just didn't mention the idea of screwing into it before. ;)

There are also other boards where there is more of a loss of material rather than just a plain split, so even with clamping the two sides together some fill will be needed. The Ronseal filler is great in that once it's set it's very wood like: you can sand it, drill into it, screw into it, etc. The only thing I'm not sure about is it's adhesive qualities, so if I fill the gaps (a putty knife job) and then clamp it, when I unclamp will it stay stuck together or not?

Can Gripfill be sanded, drilled into, screwed into, etc, when set?

fisher
Lemon Slice

Postby fisher » August 6th, 2021, 12:09 am

Gripfill will dry hard like tough plastic. You can't really sand it, you'd have to get it smooth before it sets and it can be messy stuff. You could screw into it but I'm not sure how well it would hold, it might be ok. You can drill through it and screw through it.

Where the surfaces can be clamped tight together the PU would be a good option IMHO. Where there is material missing filler would be more appropriate. It might be possible to use the PU glue behind the missing material to glue the split together, then rake it back with a metal implement like a small filling knife and use filler to give a nicer finish to the wider split at the front. This is presuming the wider splits do narrow as you go deeper.

I don't think the filler will be ideal as a glue but I've not used it. It's probably better to use PU glue or Gripfill and keep it below the surface, then fill the visible section on the surface. With the PU this will probably require raking out the surface after it has set, with Gripfill you'd apply it leaving it below the surface by not over filling which would be easier with the wider cracks with material missing where you can get the nozzle in the wide bit.

The PU glue will also run down the crack as it is quite viscous and that might make it hard to apply, Gripfill is thicker and will not run very much.

servodude
Lemon Half

Postby servodude » August 6th, 2021, 12:38 am

mc2fool
Lemon Half

Postby mc2fool » August 6th, 2021, 1:52 pm

fisher wrote:I don't think the filler will be ideal as a glue but I've not used it. It's probably better to use PU glue or Gripfill and keep it below the surface, then fill the visible section on the surface. With the PU this will probably require raking out the surface after it has set, with Gripfill you'd apply it leaving it below the surface by not over filling which would be easier with the wider cracks with material missing where you can get the nozzle in the wide bit.

Ok, well I think I'll pick up some Gripfill Xtra from Toolstation and give that a go and see how it works out....

servodude wrote:can you get your hands on "turbo bog"? https://www.construction.co.uk/c/492521/painters-choice-builders-bog

On a quick search, only on ebay from Australia it seems!

johnstevens77
Lemon Slice

Postby johnstevens77 » August 7th, 2021, 4:23 pm

Mix PVA with sawdust. Can be drilled or nailed as if new.

john

Return to “Building and DIY”