Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Is it safe to put an MDF cover over a storage heater?

Does what it says on the tin
Clariman
Lemon Quarter

Is it safe to put an MDF cover over a storage heater?

Postby Clariman » August 11th, 2021, 6:13 pm

I've posted a few times over the years about replacing the storage heaters in our holiday let, but each time I look into it I think it is not worth it. They are old but they work fine and our very cost effective in a holiday let. However, the covers are rusting in some places. Joiner has offered to build an MDF cover for them with a grate on the front to let the heat out. Is that safe? Is it wise?

Thanks
C

monabri
Lemon Half

Re: Is it safe to put an MDF cover over a storage heater?

Postby monabri » August 11th, 2021, 6:24 pm

https://www.idealhome.co.uk/diy-and-dec ... eap-158714

"Can I use a radiator cover with a storage heater?
No, you should never use radiator cabinets with storage heaters – their high heat output makes them a fire hazard."

Then you have this company supplying them!

http://www.salixonline.co.uk/rads/storage.html

If you install them and there is a fire, good luck with the insurance claim.

Clariman
Lemon Quarter

Postby Clariman » August 11th, 2021, 6:55 pm

Thanks. I think that's a definite no for us then. We won't take any risks with our guests safety. Maybe we'll replace them with modern equivalents although it seems such a missed opportunity to go for something better.

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » August 11th, 2021, 7:09 pm

I'm going back a bit, but there used to be some worries about the chemicals used in MDF - I think MDF was completely banned in Austria, because of concerns about carcinogens. I imagine they've sorted that one nowadays? But agree with others that it doesn't seem sensible to box in a source of fairly high heat. Mesh might be a different matter?

t'Interweb says you can paint storage heaters, as long as you use heat resistant paints.

BJ

Lemon Slice

Postby 9873210 » August 11th, 2021, 9:07 pm

ReallyVeryFoolish wrote:I am guessing the main risk here is from a malfunction leading to the heating elements not switching off.
RVF

That would not be my main concern.

During normal operation the bricks can reach temperatures of 400-600C. If you surround the unit with perfect air tight insulation the entire unit would reach that temperature, or it would if something did not break first.

A cover is going to be a good deal less than perfect air tight insulation, but things will get hotter than designed. I have no idea if they will get enough hotter to cause problems.

Have you considered stove paint?

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Postby Itsallaguess » August 12th, 2021, 7:22 am

ReallyVeryFoolish wrote:
Indeed, an open question.

As an engineer, thermostats sticking are the exact kind of issue we look to design out or build in multiple layers of protection so that when (not if) the heating elements don't switch off, there isn't a fire.

Given the millions of operating hours accrued around the world the hazard must be low enough that we never hear about houses burning down due to faulty storage heaters (do we?).

I wouldn't imagine thermostats to be a primary safety component with electrical storage heaters, and looking at the very first circuit diagram I can find online, it clearly shows a separate 'Thermal Safety Cut-out' being used to help prevent dangerous over-heat situations -

Source - https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Technical/DataSheets/Dimplex/XLN_XLSN_Installation_Instructions.pdf

I agree with previous thoughts though, that additional covers over these things are a baaaad idea...

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

Lemon Slice

Postby 9873210 » August 12th, 2021, 4:26 pm

ReallyVeryFoolish wrote:Probably a fusible link. It's there precisely because thermostats are notoriously unreliable. I have seen several (industrial) fires caused by them malfunctioning.

RVF

But where is it? And what temperature is it set to?

If it's in the bricks it has to be set over the working temperature of 400-600C. It is unlikely to help the worst case situation of excess insulation.

If it's on the case pushing heat into the bricks will not trip it until heat goes into the bricks and starts diffusing out. By the time the fuse blows there may be a lot of energy stored. This will continue to diffuse towards the case. If it can't go further, because of excess insulation, the case and similarly situated components will continue to heat up, even with no electric input. At least a fuse would mean you could only do this once, while a resetting device would let you do this many times.

If you do the FMEA a thermal fuse may not protect against this type of user error. OTOH people probably have done this, there are probably enough margin that most of them get away with it. Not something I would do though.

88V8
Lemon Half

Postby 88V8 » August 13th, 2021, 8:35 pm

One could line the MDF with tinfoil or aluminium to reject the heat.
Ample vents top and bottom.....
But it auto-ignites at 200C upwards.

If one has the time, take the case off, derust with sandpaper followed by a rust converter such as Jenolite Rust Converter spray, then as has been said, stove paint.

V8

Return to “Building and DIY”