Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77, for Donating to support the site

Another tap query

Does what it says on the tin
bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Re: Another tap query

Postby bungeejumper » August 24th, 2021, 8:49 am

9873210 wrote:Also can be worth stretching an elastic band over the part. Gives better grip and protects the finish. I often use a length of an old bicycle inner tube.

I like the inner tube idea. :) I must stash that one away in my memory bank. Thanks!

Don't know how I'd get on with two strap wrenches at once. So let's see, they'd have to be mounted in opposite directions, with one going clockwise and t'other contrariwise, and I'd have to figure out how to get them both pointing the right ways, and then do the turning action with just my two bare hands instead of the optimal three. At this time of the morning, that lot would fry my poor old brain. :lol:

And all the while, my trusty chain wrench lies idle in the garage, pleading silently for a chance to show what it can do. "Oh come on, ya wimp, you haven't used me in anger since that gearbox job in 2005. it must be my turn some time?" :twisted:

BJ

stewamax
Lemon Quarter

Postby stewamax » August 24th, 2021, 1:52 pm

I wrap a layer of insulating tape and then use a Stillson wrench (or if stuck for space, a pipe wrench)

staffordian
Lemon Quarter

Postby staffordian » August 24th, 2021, 3:39 pm

stewamax wrote:I wrap a layer of insulating tape and then use a Stillson wrench (or if stuck for space, a pipe wrench)

My plan B was going to be insulating tape with a layer of masking tape over it (possibly grippier but less strong than insulating tape?) then a wrench.

Luckily, plan A worked :)

Return to “Building and DIY”