Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Rhyd6,johnstevens77,Anonymous,MyNameIsUrl,6Tricia, for Donating to support the site

Bi-fold doors

Does what it says on the tin
jtr63
Lemon Pip
Posts: 53
Joined: November 4th, 2016, 11:43 am
Has thanked: 7 times
Been thanked: 1 time

Bi-fold doors

#438199

Postby jtr63 » August 29th, 2021, 1:04 pm

We are looking at replacing a set of french doors and expanding an existing window down to floor level to fit bi-fold doors. The reasoning is to let more light in. Does anyone have good, or bad, experience of such project ? Also, good or bad experiences with suppliers would be much appreciated.
TIA
John

fisher
Lemon Slice
Posts: 299
Joined: November 4th, 2016, 12:18 pm
Has thanked: 244 times
Been thanked: 149 times

Re: Bi-fold doors

#438207

Postby fisher » August 29th, 2021, 1:52 pm

We have bifold doors covering over 3 metres with three hinged sections. They were fitted 10 years ago and they've been no problem. We got them from a local firm (in North Yorkshire). Ours are grey aluminium and we got to choose from hundreds of potential colours.

They work fine but I sometimes think I may have been happier with sliding doors. Our architect warned us off uPVC bifolds as he says they swell too much in summer so we got aluminium.

DrFfybes
Lemon Quarter
Posts: 1162
Joined: November 6th, 2016, 10:25 pm
Has thanked: 163 times
Been thanked: 542 times

Re: Bi-fold doors

#438349

Postby DrFfybes » August 30th, 2021, 9:52 am

Triple rail sliding doors will hide behind each other quite well, whereas bifold (or any folding) doors need somewhere to fold to.

The sliding option might not get quite the same opening width, but it is a lot easier if you want to put a table and chair next to them or a planter outside.

You can also use vertical blinds easier, and they don't bang in the wind.

Paul

Howard
Lemon Quarter
Posts: 1766
Joined: November 4th, 2016, 8:26 pm
Has thanked: 622 times
Been thanked: 761 times

Re: Bi-fold doors

#438373

Postby Howard » August 30th, 2021, 11:07 am

Maybe this is just me, but when I watch Grand Designs and see this type of window I'm always concerned that if left unattended they will let mice and rats into the house. We live in the country and have floor to ceiling french windows and side panes which have a step up. Years ago I watched with horror as a big rat trotted across our patio under the doors and it put me off considering ground level flush opening windows. Whilst we have mice in the garage in winter, so far over 15 years since the french windows were fitted mice haven't got into the house. We leave the windows open in hot weather but this year haven't needed to do this too often.

The UPVC french windows replaced a large "builders" sliding window. We are bounded on two sides by trees and the slider always became a bit graunchy every year in autumn as leaves etc collected in the lower channel.

Worth considering?

regards

Howard

sg31
Lemon Quarter
Posts: 1473
Joined: November 4th, 2016, 11:35 am
Has thanked: 902 times
Been thanked: 672 times

Re: Bi-fold doors

#438378

Postby sg31 » August 30th, 2021, 11:28 am

Howard wrote: Whilst we have mice in the garage in winter,

regards

Howard


I had the same problem in a previous house. I storred the problem by fitting a 50x50 piece of timber tight up against the back of the garage doosacroos the full width. Gripfill adhesive it to the floor and mastic any gaps. I've not had any mice in the garage since. I did the same at this house, no mice in the garage.
Like you I live in a rural property surrounded by trees. Plenty of farms and riding stables nearby.

In theory they can get in up the side of the garage doors but they don't seem to bother. Obviosly check round the outside of the garage at low level to ensure there aren't any other possible access routes. Under side door thresholds is a favourite, door fitters rarely fill under the threshold with mortar. Around pipes is another although unlikely in a garage. Plumbers often forget to seal round pipes.

Howard
Lemon Quarter
Posts: 1766
Joined: November 4th, 2016, 8:26 pm
Has thanked: 622 times
Been thanked: 761 times

Re: Bi-fold doors

#438419

Postby Howard » August 30th, 2021, 1:25 pm

sg31 wrote:
Howard wrote: Whilst we have mice in the garage in winter,

regards

Howard


I had the same problem in a previous house. I storred the problem by fitting a 50x50 piece of timber tight up against the back of the garage doosacroos the full width. Gripfill adhesive it to the floor and mastic any gaps. I've not had any mice in the garage since. I did the same at this house, no mice in the garage.
Like you I live in a rural property surrounded by trees. Plenty of farms and riding stables nearby.

In theory they can get in up the side of the garage doors but they don't seem to bother. Obviosly check round the outside of the garage at low level to ensure there aren't any other possible access routes. Under side door thresholds is a favourite, door fitters rarely fill under the threshold with mortar. Around pipes is another although unlikely in a garage. Plumbers often forget to seal round pipes.


Sounds an interesting idea. But I'm not sure if the timber would dislodge as we drove the cars over it? One car is electric so heavyweight! The garage is detached and whilst I have sealed all the holes I can see, I understand mice can get through a pencil sized hole. Also its a gravel drive so I'd have to keep clearing up to the timber or the doors won't shut properly.

I'm afraid I use poison after mice chewed the cables to the fuel injectors in Mrs H's car a few years ago. This solves the garage problem.

Going back to the OP, I know one or two neighbours have had mice in their houses indicating that the mice are persistent little rodents! And they are encouraged by feeding the birds and letting the food drop on the ground. Some people don't mind the odd mice infestation but I prefer to keep them out and wouldn't leave outside doors open, however attractive the prospect.

regards

Howard

sg31
Lemon Quarter
Posts: 1473
Joined: November 4th, 2016, 11:35 am
Has thanked: 902 times
Been thanked: 672 times

Re: Bi-fold doors

#438426

Postby sg31 » August 30th, 2021, 1:51 pm

Howard wrote:
Sounds an interesting idea. But I'm not sure if the timber would dislodge as we drove the cars over it? One car is electric so heavyweight! The garage is detached and whilst I have sealed all the holes I can see, I understand mice can get through a pencil sized hole. Also its a gravel drive so I'd have to keep clearing up to the timber or the doors won't shut properly.

I'm afraid I use poison after mice chewed the cables to the fuel injectors in Mrs H's car a few years ago. This solves the garage problem.

Going back to the OP, I know one or two neighbours have had mice in their houses indicating that the mice are persistent little rodents! And they are encouraged by feeding the birds and letting the food drop on the ground. Some people don't mind the odd mice infestation but I prefer to keep them out and wouldn't leave outside doors open, however attractive the prospect.

regards

Howard


Whilst I don't have an electric vehicle I do have a 4X4 and the timber hasn't moved at this property in 6 years. I don't garage the car in summer but usually do from around October to May. You could use Stixall which is much stronger.

https://www.toolstation.com/stixall-adh ... lsrc=aw.ds

Like you I don't like mice in the house. They do a lot of damage to electrical wiring amongst othe things, I'd put up with them if they paid rent but they don't so they aren't allowed entry. Some time ago I did a detailed post about stopping mice getting entry. It should be on here somewhere I think. One easy entry point for them is airbricks. I always fit mousegaurds over them.

TonyB
Posts: 39
Joined: November 8th, 2016, 10:38 am
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 7 times

Re: Bi-fold doors

#440154

Postby TonyB » September 6th, 2021, 7:37 pm

Have had bi-folds for 5 years and very happy with them. As mentioned they do take up some external space when being opened and when opened so any patio or outside area needs to be designed to take account. Ours are triple glazed and we don't seem to have any problems with cold or hot weather. Bought locally in the NE.

Mike88
Lemon Slice
Posts: 799
Joined: November 4th, 2016, 6:17 pm
Has thanked: 94 times
Been thanked: 195 times

Re: Bi-fold doors

#440158

Postby Mike88 » September 6th, 2021, 8:03 pm

There is far too much frame in bi-fold doors to my liking. Virtually frameless sliders are far better. If the window setting is wide enough you can have 3 doors sliding into the middle.

AF62
Lemon Quarter
Posts: 1872
Joined: November 27th, 2016, 8:45 am
Has thanked: 34 times
Been thanked: 576 times

Re: Bi-fold doors

#440159

Postby AF62 » September 6th, 2021, 8:10 pm

Howard wrote:
sg31 wrote:
Howard wrote: Whilst we have mice in the garage in winter,

regards

Howard


I had the same problem in a previous house. I storred the problem by fitting a 50x50 piece of timber tight up against the back of the garage doosacroos the full width. Gripfill adhesive it to the floor and mastic any gaps. I've not had any mice in the garage since. I did the same at this house, no mice in the garage.
Like you I live in a rural property surrounded by trees. Plenty of farms and riding stables nearby.

In theory they can get in up the side of the garage doors but they don't seem to bother. Obviosly check round the outside of the garage at low level to ensure there aren't any other possible access routes. Under side door thresholds is a favourite, door fitters rarely fill under the threshold with mortar. Around pipes is another although unlikely in a garage. Plumbers often forget to seal round pipes.


Sounds an interesting idea. But I'm not sure if the timber would dislodge as we drove the cars over it? One car is electric so heavyweight! The garage is detached and whilst I have sealed all the holes I can see, I understand mice can get through a pencil sized hole. Also its a gravel drive so I'd have to keep clearing up to the timber or the doors won't shut properly.

Howard


An alternative which I used after an issue with mice in the garage is this - https://www.screwfix.com/p/stormguard-g ... 2-5m/37019

It is a heavy duty rubber seal which is glued to the floor and the door closes tightly against it. No issue with either mice or the car driving over it.

Howard
Lemon Quarter
Posts: 1766
Joined: November 4th, 2016, 8:26 pm
Has thanked: 622 times
Been thanked: 761 times

Re: Bi-fold doors

#441546

Postby Howard » September 12th, 2021, 12:25 am

AF62 wrote:
Howard wrote:
sg31 wrote:
I had the same problem in a previous house. I storred the problem by fitting a 50x50 piece of timber tight up against the back of the garage doosacroos the full width. Gripfill adhesive it to the floor and mastic any gaps. I've not had any mice in the garage since. I did the same at this house, no mice in the garage.
Like you I live in a rural property surrounded by trees. Plenty of farms and riding stables nearby.

In theory they can get in up the side of the garage doors but they don't seem to bother. Obviosly check round the outside of the garage at low level to ensure there aren't any other possible access routes. Under side door thresholds is a favourite, door fitters rarely fill under the threshold with mortar. Around pipes is another although unlikely in a garage. Plumbers often forget to seal round pipes.


Sounds an interesting idea. But I'm not sure if the timber would dislodge as we drove the cars over it? One car is electric so heavyweight! The garage is detached and whilst I have sealed all the holes I can see, I understand mice can get through a pencil sized hole. Also its a gravel drive so I'd have to keep clearing up to the timber or the doors won't shut properly.

Howard


An alternative which I used after an issue with mice in the garage is this - https://www.screwfix.com/p/stormguard-g ... 2-5m/37019

It is a heavy duty rubber seal which is glued to the floor and the door closes tightly against it. No issue with either mice or the car driving over it.


AF62 and sg31, thank you both for your suggestions.

I decided to go for Stormguards from Screwfix because our garage floor is uneven and I was concerned that the daily pounding by a heavy BEV often with wet tyres would wear or dislodge timber battens. It’s surprising how over the 25 year life of the garage the cars have worn wide shallow grooves in the floor by picking up pea shingle from the drive in the tyre treads and abrading the concrete.

So I glued the second strip down yesterday and the door seals look good.

However, having spent £60 on the strips, it may just be my vivid imagination, but as the job was finished, I could swear I heard squeaky laughter through some tiny gaps in the tiled pitched roof. :(

Time will tell.

regards

Howard


Return to “Building and DIY”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest