Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

LED or Fluorescent battens?

Does what it says on the tin
richlist
Lemon Quarter

Re: LED or Fluorescent battens?

Postby richlist » September 21st, 2021, 7:05 am

This thread is now way above my pay grade......you experts lost me a while back. I'm just a guy with a small ladder who changes light bulbs that don't work in my house. I'm not really very interested in attaining a technical qualification in electrical distribution but I'm very impressed by the knowledge of some of the contributers. The world needs experts......but I'm not ever gonna be one of em.

DrFfybes
Lemon Quarter

Postby DrFfybes » September 21st, 2021, 9:41 am

jfgw wrote:If you use 24V GLS lamps, You can wire, say, 9, 10, 11 or whatever in series depending upon your desired balance of efficiency and lifespan.

Julian F. G. W.

But if one goes you have to rattle them all to find the failure :)

Like the old Xmas tree lights, where as they failed dad would shove some tinfoil in the holder to bypass the duff one(s), gradually increasing the voltage to the rest, until their number dropped so much the remainders overheated and melted the holders and might well have set fire to the tree had we not smelt them.

It did mean I narrowly missed the sight of a man dressed in red on Xmas morning, rolling his hose out of the fire engine....

Paul

jfgw
Lemon Quarter

Postby jfgw » September 21st, 2021, 10:36 am

DrFfybes wrote:But if one goes you have to rattle them all to find the failure

Just wire a neon lamp and resistor across each lampholder. The one that blows will be the one that glows.

Julian F. G. W.

88V8
Lemon Half

Postby 88V8 » September 23rd, 2021, 4:10 pm

9873210 wrote:The performance of incandescent bulbs depends strongly on the applied voltage....
Fortunately this is mostly of historical interest if you are not using incandescent bulbs.

We still use some. Excellent brightness as our incoming voltage is always better than 240V - our local transformer is on a pole just over the fence.
In the attic I have hundreds of them bought in an 'I'll-eat-bent-bananas-if-I-want-to' moment when the EU decided that incandescents would be banned. Unfortunately, most of them were to fit the antique fittings in our previous house and do not fit the antique fittings in our cottage.

So... I've been buying LEDs. I only buy them with all-round glass, as those with a cap give a poor light pattern in antique fittings especially standard lamps.
I've been buying from LED Hut, so far hardly any failures in five + years.
This sort of BC bulb, but usually amber
https://ledhut.co.uk/collections/b22-led-bulbs-bayonet/products/9w-b22-gls-fil-led-2700k-1060lm-c-d

V8

DrFfybes
Lemon Quarter

Postby DrFfybes » September 23rd, 2021, 5:57 pm

88V8 wrote:We still use some. Excellent brightness as our incoming voltage is always better than 240V - our local transformer is on a pole just over the fence.
In the attic I have hundreds of them bought in an 'I'll-eat-bent-bananas-if-I-want-to' moment when the EU decided that incandescents would be banned.

V8

Same here - If you want some Bayonet cap 100W incadescents I have a dozen I bought for the inlaws when they were being banned as the alterntives at the time weren't bright enough.

Paul

richlist
Lemon Quarter

Postby richlist » September 23rd, 2021, 7:15 pm

My other half had a family member who worked for a local Lord at his manor house.

He was so posh he didn't know how to change/replace a lightbulb when it failed. He just rang down for one of his maintenance guys to go fix it and it wasnt a case of him being to lazy to do it himself, he really didn't know how.

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » September 24th, 2021, 9:17 am

richlist wrote:My other half had a family member who worked for a local Lord at his manor house.

He was so posh he didn't know how to change/replace a lightbulb when it failed. He just rang down for one of his maintenance guys to go fix it and it wasnt a case of him being to lazy to do it himself, he really didn't know how.

Lightbulb may be unusual, but don't we all have our weaknesses? The technophobe for whom nothing works - from the 'net to the TV remote. Men of a certain generation who can't cook and are too old to learn.

And have you never worked at a company where you'd be expected to ring for maintenance to replace a light bulb, and it would be frowned upon if you did it yourself? "What, you stood on your desk to reach it? Our insurance doesn't cover that ..."

Return to “Building and DIY”