Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Attic flats

Does what it says on the tin
Sunnypad
Lemon Slice

Attic flats

Postby Sunnypad » September 10th, 2021, 1:16 pm

Hi all

I am going to move next year and I'm just keeping an eye on the market

The area I'm looking in, I've seen a couple of attic flats that would suit. I wondered what pitfalls I should look out for and if there's a standard building certificate type thing that such a flat should have.

My current flat is a boiling new build so the first thing that strikes me is that venting the air con unit will be hard. Not impossible, but hard.

I'd be interested to know what Fools think on attic flats generally. There seem to be a few purpose built ones, guessing about 20 years old, in the area I'm looking at.

Thank you.

AleisterCrowley
Lemon Half

Re: Attic flats

Postby AleisterCrowley » September 10th, 2021, 1:25 pm

My last place was a 1980s conversion of a Victorian block - not an attic flat but my bedroom had a sloping external roof (if you see what i mean)
I don't think they had insulated the roof section and it was absolutely freezing in winter, practically impossible to keep warm , and inevitably an oven during our short summer!
Temperature management would be top of my list of concerns. Followed by means of escape in case of fire ....

AsleepInYorkshire
Lemon Half

Postby AsleepInYorkshire » September 10th, 2021, 1:53 pm

Sunnypad wrote:Hi all

I am going to move next year and I'm just keeping an eye on the market

The area I'm looking in, I've seen a couple of attic flats that would suit. I wondered what pitfalls I should look out for and if there's a standard building certificate type thing that such a flat should have.

My current flat is a boiling new build so the first thing that strikes me is that venting the air con unit will be hard. Not impossible, but hard.

I'd be interested to know what Fools think on attic flats generally. There seem to be a few purpose built ones, guessing about 20 years old, in the area I'm looking at.

Thank you.

1. Thermal insulations need to be high - ensure that the "dew point" sits outside of the habitable space, not inside
  2. Sound insulations need to be high - floors in particular - you don't want to have to tippy toe to avoid upsetting neighbours below you
  3. The roof tiling and structure needs to be robust
  4. Fire escape means needs to be robust as well as the correct fire rating doors throughout the structure
I'd strongly suggest you put your hand in your pocket and pay a building surveyor to once over any property before purchase. It will be money well spent.

AiY

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » September 10th, 2021, 2:39 pm

And ask searching questions about exactly who is responsible for maintaining the roof, and any dormer windows etc. I once considered an 18th century top-floor flat where the person responsible would have been me! :? No, I didn't make an offer.....

BJ

Sunnypad
Lemon Slice

Postby Sunnypad » September 10th, 2021, 2:51 pm

Thanks for the replies

Normally I'd not consider an attic flat, my main concern is water ingress.

They're definitely no more than 20 years old as a build, and for a flat, I wouldn't look for anything older. In that type of set up, they are usually leasehold but I will certainly check about roof costs.

I wouldn't consider anything other than purpose built so that's why I was thinking there might be a named certification I should look for.

I had thought heating wouldn't be the problem as everyone I know living in newish builds has the same problem I do, too hot in summer but fine in winter. I appreciate there's no insulation above my head though, which will make a difference. Also wonder if rain sounds will be annoying.

AleisterCrowley
Lemon Half

Postby AleisterCrowley » September 10th, 2021, 2:59 pm

rain no, pigeons yes :-)
I find rain sounds relaxing
I had a leak 'round the side' of my roof due to a build up of pigeon guano...

Sunnypad
Lemon Slice

Postby Sunnypad » September 10th, 2021, 3:37 pm

AleisterCrowley wrote:rain no, pigeons yes :-)

Another point for the list. I've had a pigeon wander into my flat early AM when I was asleep, though I suppose that's just life.

AleisterCrowley
Lemon Half

Postby AleisterCrowley » September 10th, 2021, 3:49 pm

On the plus side - better security (you can leave the windows open) and better views. If you are living somewhere with a worthwhile view...
My old view was a hospital and the Slough skyline. The other side of the building had Eton College and Windsor Castle

CliffEdge
Lemon Quarter

Postby CliffEdge » September 10th, 2021, 4:57 pm

I'm sure you know about the cladding issue which applies to many more flats than you'd imagine

DrFfybes
Lemon Quarter

Postby DrFfybes » September 10th, 2021, 7:07 pm

Sunnypad wrote:
AleisterCrowley wrote:rain no, pigeons yes :-)

Another point for the list. I've had a pigeon wander into my flat early AM when I was asleep, though I suppose that's just life.

Better than waking to find a squirrel drinking from the glass of water by your bed. I wonder how often it had done it and not woke me.

However, 80s conversions will be very cold, anything pre 2000 will likely be very cold in winter, as insulation regs weren't great. 2010 was when they got a lot tougher.

https://www.ecomerchant.co.uk/news/a-br ... -examples/

Pretty much anything will be very hot in summer with the sun beating on the roof all day

Paul

Sunnypad
Lemon Slice

Postby Sunnypad » September 10th, 2021, 10:44 pm

Cliff - yes, thanks, luckily my current place seems to pass, I still find that a bit too good to be true..

Paul - that is brilliant about the squirrel! :lol: I didn't mind the pigeon coming in, he just gazed out of the window, cooing happily at the view.
But when I asked him to leave, he panicked and pooped! And couldn't figure out how to leave. :roll: i was late for work but luckily I had photos to show there really was a pigeon who was having trouble leaving.

Yes, I still think the portable air con being able to be used is very important.

Aleister - wonder what the price difference was in views.

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » September 11th, 2021, 2:18 am

I've lived much of my life in quite a few attic flats, partly because the nightmare of noisy neighbours is far worse when those neighbours are above me!

Generally not a problem. I've never had trouble with a roof. One had the wind whistling through any time it blew, but I don't think that was particularly connected with being in the attic.

The main thing to watch out for is summer heat: that's when the quality of insulation, the layout and ventilation matter most. But unless you're particularly sensitive, you won't have more than a couple of weeks in a year when it's a real issue. A well-ventilated north-facing bolthole (or east-facing - away from the afternoon sun) can help. As can shading: in my current attic I have an outdoor awning blind on the south-facing Velux window. It's surprisingly unobtrusive, and having it down in the hot season (about May-October, when the risk of uncomfortably-hot is greater than that of cold) really helps.

Sunnypad
Lemon Slice

Postby Sunnypad » September 11th, 2021, 12:44 pm

Thanks UncleEbenezer

Window dressing cost would be a big factor, so that's something to note.

Return to “Building and DIY”