Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Ceiling Lights & Table Lights

Does what it says on the tin
AsleepInYorkshire
Lemon Half

Ceiling Lights & Table Lights

Postby AsleepInYorkshire » October 3rd, 2021, 10:03 pm

We've decorated the lounge and dining room and had a new carpet fitted. The overall theme for the colours has been good old boring creams and browns. The wallpaper is a very plain anaglypta with a dull white background and very faint touch of cream on the raised embossed. It's all very neutral and very calming. The furniture is all oak but not Oak Furniture Land or the like. There are three ceiling lights, two in the lounge and one in the dining room. The rooms are linked through an archway 1.2m wide.

Everything so far looks good. But we're having trouble finding some ceiling lights and table lights. We will need 5 table lights and 3 ceiling lights. We think some simple LED lights will work well on the ceiling but then we're struggling with the table lights. These will sit on top of four sideboards and one next of tables.

I think our concern is that the ceiling lights;

Source: https://www.next.co.uk/shop/department- ... 1406250002

or

Will not match the table lights - we are considering these

Source: https://www.next.co.uk/style/st254182/526902#526902

Does anyone have any experience in the particular area please?

We can't have low ceiling lights as the ceiling in only 2.4m high.

We aren't sure LED table lamps to match the ceiling lights will look right

AiY

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Re: Ceiling Lights & Table Lights

Postby UncleEbenezer » October 3rd, 2021, 10:28 pm

2.4m isn't a high ceiling, but neither is it so low as to make lighting a big problem!

A simple option that can't go wrong and fits your neutral-decor theme is basic paper globes such as https://www.wilko.com/en-uk/wilko-white ... /p/0006745 . At 2.4m you can accommodate small but perfectly decent globes like the example linked.

richlist
Lemon Quarter

Postby richlist » October 4th, 2021, 9:22 am

As they say....beauty is in the eye of the beholder.....well this one sees no beauty in a £2 paper lampshade. I bought a property to let once that had these shades. I considered them to awful and to cheap to even leave in a spare room for the tenant.

Go to a proper lighting stockist.....depends on your budget what you go for.

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » October 4th, 2021, 10:32 am

richlist wrote:As they say....beauty is in the eye of the beholder.....well this one sees no beauty in a £2 paper lampshade. I bought a property to let once that had these shades. I considered them to awful and to cheap to even leave in a spare room for the tenant.

Go to a proper lighting stockist.....depends on your budget what you go for.

Agree on all counts. I have ceilings about the same height and I inherited downlighters which I very seldom use but do not take up any room. I think as far as table lamps are concerned you need biggish ones to make a splash but of course it depends how much light you want. Make sure they are LED though and the running costs are then very low. Nowadays they probably all are anyway.

Dod

88V8
Lemon Half

Postby 88V8 » October 10th, 2021, 10:50 am

I would head for eBay and look for antique light fittings... they don't have to match...

The downstairs ceilings here are just over 6ft. I have some fabric shades on pendant cords, when we collide neither shade nor head is harmed :)

V8

csearle
Lemon Quarter

Postby csearle » October 11th, 2021, 9:14 pm

AsleepInYorkshire wrote:We've decorated the lounge and dining room and had a new carpet fitted. The overall theme for the colours has been good old boring creams and browns. The wallpaper is a very plain anaglypta with a dull white background and very faint touch of cream on the raised embossed. It's all very neutral and very calming. The furniture is all oak but not Oak Furniture Land or the like. There are three ceiling lights, two in the lounge and one in the dining room. The rooms are linked through an archway 1.2m wide.

Everything so far looks good. But we're having trouble finding some ceiling lights and table lights. We will need 5 table lights and 3 ceiling lights. We think some simple LED lights will work well on the ceiling but then we're struggling with the table lights. These will sit on top of four sideboards and one next of tables.

I think our concern is that the ceiling lights;

or

We aren't sure LED table lamps to match the ceiling lights will look right

AiY

How about these two table lights for each of your ceiling-light options?

AF62
Lemon Quarter

Postby AF62 » October 11th, 2021, 11:35 pm

Funnily enough I am doing similar at home at the moment, completely revamping the lounge and dining room with completely new furniture (when it eventually arrives in six months time!!!, new carpet, decoration, etc.).

The question I asked was - do we actually use the ceiling lights - to which the answer was - no, not really.

They might get turned on very occasionally, but 99% of the time it is just the table lights and other decorative or task lighting on. That then changed our view of the type of ceiling lights away from being lights to being decorative things that fitted with the rest of the room.

As for the table lights and other decorative lights, what was important there was for them to be capable of taking ‘smart’ bulbs (Hive, Hue, etc.) to be able to quickly set the ‘feel’ and use of the room from a spoken command to Google/Alexa.

Return to “Building and DIY”