Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Sediment in loft header tank

Does what it says on the tin
MyNameIsUrl
Lemon Slice

Sediment in loft header tank

Postby MyNameIsUrl » October 18th, 2021, 1:20 pm

The loft header tank (for hot water system, not central heating) is clear water but has a bit of sediment on the bottom which I suspect is the remnants of ancient perished pipe insulation which has fallen into the water. (The tank has a lid but the expansion pipe goes through a hole and this is where I think the debris has got in.)

It’s not caused any problems. Should I drain down and clean it out or leave well alone?

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Re: Sediment in loft header tank

Postby bungeejumper » October 18th, 2021, 3:47 pm

Is the sediment loose or hard? Or is it just a stain on the bottom of the tank?

Since you don't drink your hot water (I presume?), the main concern would be if the sediment blocked your hot taps or a pumped shower. I de-gunged my header tank a few years ago by plugging the out pipe (with a cork, since you ask) and then bailing the tank out with a plastic jug, followed by a sponge to clean up with. Took no more than half an hour. To this day, I have no idea whether it was worth doing. :lol:

BJ

ten0rman
Lemon Slice

Postby ten0rman » October 18th, 2021, 9:20 pm

Disclaimer: I am not a plumber, but I have had some dealings with water systems in my houses, including moving and raising a steel, probably galvanised, tank to increase the head for a shower, and installing a new plastic tank in my present house.

I believe that the sediment is actually dirt carried therein from the mains supply.

As far as I can remember, the outlet pipe(s) from the cold water tank are meant to be two or three inches above the floor of the tank in order to allow the sediment to settle without entering the pipes. If so, then I would leave well alone as it is going to take a long time before it builds up to the outlet pipe level.

If you decide to remove some of it, I think I would use a garden hose and set up some sort of syphon arrangement and simply suck the sediment out. Filling the pipe prior to getting the syphon working might be a bit long-winded. I would also use a length, perhaps 600mm, of 15mm copper pipe fastened to the end of the hosepipe which could then be manipulated in the water to select where you want to suck from.

Good luck,

ten0rman

Mike4
Lemon Half

Postby Mike4 » October 18th, 2021, 9:29 pm

MyNameIsUrl wrote:
It’s not caused any problems. Should I drain down and clean it out or leave well alone?

I think you've answered your own question here!

All tanks around here more than a few years old have minor white/greyish sediment in the bottom, which does no harm.

mc2fool
Lemon Half

Postby mc2fool » October 18th, 2021, 10:00 pm

bungeejumper wrote:Since you don't drink your hot water (I presume?)...

Fair chance the header tank feeds not only the water heater but also the cold water taps in the bathroom ... it avoids the problems from the shower mixer etc having potentially several times the pressure on the cold supply (if it were fed from the mains) vs the hot supply.

But if the OP doesn't have a gritty toothbrush, it's obviously not an issue .... :D

Return to “Building and DIY”