Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

Light Switches not Earthed

Does what it says on the tin
csearle
Lemon Quarter

Re: Light Switches not Earthed

Postby csearle » November 7th, 2021, 12:48 pm

9873210 wrote:If the switching function were integrated with the LED power supply as a mass market standard the cost could be less than £1 per circuit, at which point the wire savings alone makes it a huge win.
People don't want them because they (at the moment) are not available in any other style other than, well how should I describe it, an unusually modern style.

If you want to use the same style as the rest of your wiring accessories then it costs about £111 per switch (plus labour). I know this because I bought the parts to do this for a customer just this week, and that's what I'm charging him.

I think if they could make an energy harvesting switch module to fit onto a "standard" grid system then we could be on to something.

Chris

PhaseThree

Postby PhaseThree » November 7th, 2021, 1:07 pm

csearle wrote:
9873210 wrote:If the switching function were integrated with the LED power supply as a mass market standard the cost could be less than £1 per circuit, at which point the wire savings alone makes it a huge win.
People don't want them because they (at the moment) are not available in any other style other than, well how should I describe it, an unusually modern style.

If you want to use the same style as the rest of your wiring accessories then it costs about £111 per switch (plus labour). I know this because I bought the parts to do this for a customer just this week, and that's what I'm charging him.

I think if they could make an energy harvesting switch module to fit onto a "standard" grid system then we could be on to something.

Chris

The Quinetic system includes grid switches that are compatible with the MK logic grid system (It's what I've used).
https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/QUGDMK.html

csearle
Lemon Quarter

Postby csearle » November 7th, 2021, 1:13 pm

PhaseThree wrote:The Quinetic system includes grid switches that are compatible with the MK logic grid system (It's what I've used).
Excellent! I didn't know that. Thank you. Using grid is still a bit expensive but is a major step.

Chris

Lemon Quarter

Postby 9873210 » November 7th, 2021, 1:30 pm

csearle wrote:
PhaseThree wrote:The Quinetic system includes grid switches that are compatible with the MK logic grid system (It's what I've used).
Excellent! I didn't know that. Thank you. Using grid is still a bit expensive but is a major step.

Chris

Using a grid is good for retro-fits when people care about the decor, but it misses two of the advantages:

• You don't need to cut holes in the walls.
  • You can position switches for the convenience of the user, not the installer, and they don't need to be in another room for safety. Work lights can be switched in the work area, even in a wet area like a sink the switch can right next to the sink, or in the sink if that works for you.

csearle
Lemon Quarter

Postby csearle » November 7th, 2021, 1:34 pm

9873210 wrote:Using a grid is good for retro-fits when people care about the decor, but it misses two of the advantages:...
Well I shall certainly bear it in mind from now on! C.

Return to “Building and DIY”