Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Wasron,jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly, for Donating to support the site

60s built block

Does what it says on the tin
Sunnypad
Lemon Slice

60s built block

Postby Sunnypad » November 4th, 2021, 8:54 pm

Thought I'd ask here as the Property investment forum is v quiet.

Viewing a few flats this weekend...including one in a 60s built block. Is there a general view on blocks built in this period, esp for soundproofing? Anything building wise I should look out for?

Thank you.

MrFoolish
Lemon Quarter

Re: 60s built block

Postby MrFoolish » November 4th, 2021, 9:19 pm

My impression is that decent soundproofing is virtually impossible unless the builders have gone to great lengths.

I would not want another flat above me. And I'd be checking out the neighbours very carefully.

Sunnypad
Lemon Slice

Postby Sunnypad » November 4th, 2021, 9:31 pm

MrFoolish wrote:My impression is that decent soundproofing is virtually impossible unless the builders have gone to great lengths.

I would not want another flat above me. And I'd be checking out the neighbours very carefully.

Thanks
Do you mean that about soundproofing specifically in such an old block?

MrFoolish
Lemon Quarter

Postby MrFoolish » November 4th, 2021, 9:44 pm

I mean blocks of any age, really.

Soundproofing is really tricky, involving lots of material layers and blocking every conceivable gap. Nothing built to a typical price will have this. And back in the 60s, people probably had nothing louder than a little mono record player.

I don't wish to alarm you, but back in my days of living in flats I had numerous problems with noisy neighbours. Don't rush your decision is all I'm saying.

Sunnypad
Lemon Slice

Postby Sunnypad » November 4th, 2021, 9:54 pm

Oh I see
I was thinking of 60s in particular

As an adult, I have only lived in flats. The current one has excellent soundproofing between floors, less so between walls! I don't know when soundproofing standards became a thing, or if I am just lucky here.

I never think about neighbours. They change all the time anyway.

What I do check is the layout so there's always an option to sleep in a room with an external wall - either the bedroom the lounge. My worry is someone with a baby next door.

Obviously if there was a saxophone player next door that would be a problem too, but baby seems the likeliest problem!

MrFoolish
Lemon Quarter

Postby MrFoolish » November 4th, 2021, 10:07 pm

You probably won't want young flatsharers as neighbours who might have loud late night parties. I'd be looking for older, established people who seem sensible. Quite how you go about meeting them though, I'm not sure.

Good luck, anyway. I'm a bit paranoid about this sort of thing, so perhaps you shouldn't pay too much attention to my worries!

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » November 4th, 2021, 10:12 pm

You also need to check that cladding is fireproof but I guess that goes without saying these days.

Dod

Sunnypad
Lemon Slice

Postby Sunnypad » November 4th, 2021, 10:21 pm

MrFoolish wrote:You probably won't want young flatsharers as neighbours who might have loud late night parties. I'd be looking for older, established people who seem sensible. Quite how you go about meeting them though, I'm not sure.

Good luck, anyway. I'm a bit paranoid about this sort of thing, so perhaps you shouldn't pay too much attention to my worries!

There is no way to police this stuff unless you live in a staffed block.

The last party person I had issues with was 40 something anyway. I think my age group does more partying than young uns?

She was literally having parties twice a week so the mgnt co got on top of it quickly and the landlord didn't renew her contract.
If she had owned, I don't know what would have happened.

I would choose a top floor but I'm not in a position to be that picky. Again, people letting their kids jump up and down is much more of a concern.

Hence why I wondered about soundproofing in older blocks, was it even a thing? I started my search thinking I'd only look at 21st century, but the price of everything is just argh!
Last edited by Sunnypad on November 4th, 2021, 10:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sunnypad
Lemon Slice

Postby Sunnypad » November 4th, 2021, 10:23 pm

Dod101 wrote:You also need to check that cladding is fireproof but I guess that goes without saying these days.

Dod

Yes, I'm not worried about that but the remedial costs...
I am considering sticking with the lower end of my budget based on the "you never know" factor.

I've got a few to see within streets of each other this Saturday so hopefully that will give me an idea of what's realistic for me.

servodude
Lemon Half

Postby servodude » November 4th, 2021, 11:00 pm

Sunnypad wrote:
Dod101 wrote:You also need to check that cladding is fireproof but I guess that goes without saying these days.

Dod

Yes, I'm not worried about that but the remedial costs...
I am considering sticking with the lower end of my budget based on the "you never know" factor.

I've got a few to see within streets of each other this Saturday so hopefully that will give me an idea of what's realistic for me.

Try and have a careful listen when you are there

I remember viewing a place in Edinburgh once that had picked its viewing times to avoid the intercity trains that went past the end of the garden every few hours

- sd

Mike4
Lemon Half

Postby Mike4 » November 5th, 2021, 12:21 am

servodude wrote:Try and have a careful listen when you are there

I remember viewing a place in Edinburgh once that had picked its viewing times to avoid the intercity trains that went past the end of the garden every few hours

- sd

That would have made the place more attractive to me, having a fast rail line that close to watch.

I would hope the InterCity trains were every few minutes, not hours!

Edit to add: My boat mooring is perhaps 50ft from the fast line down to Penzance. If the trains in the night stop for any reason, it wakes me up!

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » November 5th, 2021, 6:43 am

MrFoolish wrote:My impression is that decent soundproofing is virtually impossible unless the builders have gone to great lengths.

It's perfectly possible.

Flats I've lived in in Sweden and Germany have had excellent soundproofing. Italy less so, but still clearly better than I've been accustomed to in Blighty.

csearle
Lemon Quarter

Postby csearle » November 5th, 2021, 8:27 am

I live in a 60's built apartment block with ground, first and second floors. My rental flat is on the first floor.

Neighbour upstairs has carpet and is hardly ever heard. I have carpet, even in the bathroom (uggh) and I creep around at night not flushing the loo. etc so as not to disturb anyone.

Once in a blue moon a neighbour on the same floor will have music on of an evening, which can be heard in my flat vaguely, so I am aware that the through-wall sound proofing isn't wonderful, but happily all my neighbours for the last five years have been quiet.

Mine is not a trendy area for the permanently partying set anyway.

Chris

csearle
Lemon Quarter

Postby csearle » November 5th, 2021, 8:39 am

PS In the 80s, in Germany, I observed a new-build block during construction. I later moved in and the soundproofing between floors was excellent. In that case the floor was pre-fabricated, incredible dense concrete with engineered wooden floor above and simply plastered below.

These days for noise protection (I often work in the construction industry) they often batten out the ceiling of the flats and attach strips of metal with springy parts that slope down slightly. Plasterboard is then attached to these springy things so the whole plastered ceiling is suspended about a centimetre below the bottom of the battens.

Chris

Sunnypad
Lemon Slice

Postby Sunnypad » November 5th, 2021, 8:57 am

Chris "Mine is not a trendy area for the permanently partying set anyway."

I've never lived anywhere trendy. Partying isn't really linked to that, surely.

I'm a late person so I never creep round at night. It's interesting to know people's definition of night as well.

I suppose this time I can put soundproofing in myself if I have to.

csearle
Lemon Quarter

Postby csearle » November 5th, 2021, 11:19 am

Sunnypad wrote:Chris "Mine is not a trendy area for the permanently partying set anyway."

I'm a late person so I never creep round at night. It's interesting to know people's definition of night as well.

Well maybe I worded it wrongly. I meant that my area is dominated by retired people and the flats aren't really sexy enough or near enough to town to attract partying younger people.

Yes "night" must vary from person to person. I rarely hit the sack before 0030 but a fellow electrician friend of mine considers 2300 late. He wakes up regularly at 0430 I'm told whereas I struggle to get my head into gear before 0700 and then find myself futzing around whilst I try to wake up.

Chris

Mike88
Lemon Slice

Postby Mike88 » November 5th, 2021, 12:12 pm

I owned 90's built flat which I let out. The soundproofing between floors was good but between walls poor. However, the flat next door was occupied by Canadians who were members of a leading hockey team. Partying, loud music and drinking seemed to be the order of the day (or night) but in fairness the managing agents (Peverel) did manage to sort them out with threats of eviction for failing to comply with the terms of the lease which contained a clause restricting noise after around 9pm.

Perhaps an advance copy of the lease might help you decide whether to go through with the purchase. In general modern purpose built flats do seem to be better noise insulated than conversions but I would always go for a top floor flat if possible.

Good luck with your search.

88V8
Lemon Half

Postby 88V8 » November 5th, 2021, 2:43 pm

Sunnypad wrote:I suppose this time I can put soundproofing in myself if I have to.

Not so easy. Acoustic plasterboard perhaps.

You could carpet the walls of course.
And if you have a problem from above you could always carpet the ceiling.
Call the local carpet fitter, tell him you want shag pile carpet, and when he arrives to look at the job and asks you where it's going, you just point upwards :)

V8

bluedonkey
Lemon Quarter

Postby bluedonkey » November 5th, 2021, 3:24 pm

Interesting comments about neighbours. Elderly neighbours can cause noise, at least my elderly parents did. The TV volume had to be up really loud for them to hear anything!

AsleepInYorkshire
Lemon Half

Postby AsleepInYorkshire » November 5th, 2021, 4:34 pm

Sunnypad wrote:Chris "Mine is not a trendy area for the permanently partying set anyway."

Sound travels in two ways through a building

1. Airborne
  2. Structure
Modern standards for prevention of sound transmission are reasonably robust. However, that's quite a recent development within the last 10-15 years. Before which sound transmission wasn't considered a huge issue by the building industry.

It may be possible to sound proof an apartment after construction but I'd be surprised if the costs were minimal. Indeed I'd suggest very much the opposite. Speaking quite generally the lower costs are associated with the prevention of airborne sound. However, they too can still be expensive. The far greater expense is the prevention of sound travelling through the structure. Flanking sound.

Imagine you jump up and down on a timber/concrete floor. This creates airborne sound both below and above. This can be reduced by acoustic insulations. However, the other sound that's created is flanking sound. Dealing with that in an existing building is technically very difficult and as such expensive.

AiY
Quantity Surveyor :)

Return to “Building and DIY”