Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

60s built block

Does what it says on the tin
Sunnypad
Lemon Slice

Re: 60s built block

Postby Sunnypad » November 5th, 2021, 6:06 pm

To those saying "buy a top floor if possible"

I am horrified by the property market. Things that look like crazy prices are actually going for above asking in many cases.

I'm in an excellent position and my choices are very limited. I've actually opted to go to the lower end of my budget because the money seems like it could be put to much better use.

I don't see any chat on the investing board so will say it here...sadly even I have come to a point where I cannot see prices coming down. It's now perfectly normal for nice flats to be built in mad places, like supermarket car parks!

It's no longer a case of "what are your deal breakers" but more "will it do?"

I've got few more to see this weekend, one is a top floor but I think the EA has got the floor plan wrong and it's probably smaller than my current one. The photos and the floor plan don't add up. I enquired and they are adamant the floor plan is right...

I really want to get out of London and looking to be an easy journey to mum so waiting for a top floor seems a bad plan. That could be a very long wait.

I could sell this and get in a longer chain, or I could move again after this is sold. It is a position of great privilege so it's not a moan, just an observation that waiting for the right thing could take forever and lead to more shocking prices!

I nearly didn't view my current place and have been happy here for 12 years. I think if you are looking for a house, or a forever home etc it's a lot different than looking at flats where you're pleased to get more than 500 sq ft.

I have told mum to gird herself for some of my furniture arriving in her garage!

MrFoolish
Lemon Quarter

Postby MrFoolish » November 6th, 2021, 8:38 am

You say you've been happy in your current flat. And you also say you want to move out of London. I don't understand why you want to make this intermediate move (with all the attendant risks and costs) rather than just wait a bit.

Sunnypad
Lemon Slice

Postby Sunnypad » November 6th, 2021, 7:23 pm

MrFoolish wrote:You say you've been happy in your current flat. And you also say you want to move out of London. I don't understand why you want to make this intermediate move (with all the attendant risks and costs) rather than just wait a bit.

Do you mean wait as in - put mine on the market and get involved in a chain?

Or do you think prices will calm down?

Interested in all views.

MrFoolish
Lemon Quarter

Postby MrFoolish » November 7th, 2021, 8:03 am

I was just wondering why you don't stay in your current flat until you find that place outside of London that you want. (I've long since given up on guessing the direction of house prices, so I've no view on that.)

Sunnypad
Lemon Slice

Postby Sunnypad » November 7th, 2021, 10:39 am

MrFoolish wrote:I was just wondering why you don't stay in your current flat until you find that place outside of London that you want. (I've long since given up on guessing the direction of house prices, so I've no view on that.)

Unless I go in a chain, "the place I want" is a unicorn in my budget

The hurry - I'm partly moving because London gives me the rage every time I leave my home - but also partly because of my elderly mother, who sadly is declining. It's a four hour round trip to see her. I really struggle with that.

I do worry about prices going up. Yesterday I looked at the lower end of my budget and it was shocking, but some of those tiny flats are going for over asking price. The one offer I made a couple of weeks ago, went to sealed bids. I don't know the final figure, I wasn't going to pay over asking, but I can guess they got about £20k more.

Yesterday I saw a couple of places that aren't on the market yet. If they aren't snapped up by tomorrow - many EAs working Sundays now - I think they will go on the market at higher prices than discussed.

The investment flat I sold for mum never made it on the market. gave the EA keys on Friday. Offer accepted by Saturday. The photos were booked for Wednesday but were cancelled. Also out in Essex.

Return to “Building and DIY”