Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77, for Donating to support the site

USB charging cable

Does what it says on the tin
88V8
Lemon Half

USB charging cable

Postby 88V8 » November 29th, 2021, 11:14 am

Looking for a new workshop light. My existing light came with a mains charger, as do all my rechargeable devices.
I see that many new lights apparently come with a USB charging cable, and no charger.
Why??
How is that supposed to work?

V8

swill453
Lemon Half

Re: USB charging cable

Postby swill453 » November 29th, 2021, 11:19 am

88V8 wrote:Looking for a new workshop light. My existing light came with a mains charger, as do all my rechargeable devices.
I see that many new lights apparently come with a USB charging cable, and no charger.
Why??
How is that supposed to work?

Because everybody has multiple USB outlets in their home. I know I have tens of them.

(Not literally true but it's the assumption.)

Scott.

GrahamPlatt
Lemon Quarter

Postby GrahamPlatt » November 29th, 2021, 11:20 am

Most people now have an excess of USB chargers. Not providing one is a good thing; less “stuff”, saving the planet. If they provide one, it’d be in the price. If you need another, buy one.

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » November 29th, 2021, 11:43 am

Stupid question, possibly, but I've always understood that a properly smart charger 'knows' when the device that it's supplying has eaten its fill, so that it's time to stop charging for the benefit of the batteries?

How do you do that when your plugged-in devices have different requirements? Or isn't overcharging really an issue with 5.5 volts?

BJ

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » November 29th, 2021, 11:52 am

Can't speak for others, but neither of our home-office desks could manage without one of those socket towers that have ten or twelve mains sockets. And very often they come with an integral USB slot or two. Easier than changing the wall socket. ;)

Incidentally, Pompeygazza, you can generally shorten a long link by deleting everything after the initial question mark. So your link works as https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/BG822U3.html.

[Edit: It's also a good way of ensuring that your link doesn't include your postcode or other personal information.]

BJ

GrahamPlatt
Lemon Quarter

Postby GrahamPlatt » November 29th, 2021, 1:09 pm

These wall sockets though, I imagine they're "always on" and whilst a fairly miniscule amount, I understand that this still consumes electricity. So I'd prefer one with at least an on/off switch, or simply a separate, unpluggable charger.

Urbandreamer
Lemon Quarter

Postby Urbandreamer » November 29th, 2021, 1:47 pm

bungeejumper wrote:Stupid question, possibly, but I've always understood that a properly smart charger 'knows' when the device that it's supplying has eaten its fill, so that it's time to stop charging for the benefit of the batteries?

How do you do that when your plugged-in devices have different requirements? Or isn't overcharging really an issue with 5.5 volts?

BJ

It's a misunderstanding. USB chargers, are not in fact responsible for charging any battery. Instead they supply "power" that is used by a charging circuit in the device that charges the battery.

A USB charger could provide a nominal 5V or 20V. The new PD system, older Quick Charge system or Moto's fast charger allow the device to negotiate with the "charger" to use higher voltages on the USB wires, Which allows for more power to be delivered over the same wires.

Even if you use a dumb charger that simply provides 5V, the device is responsible for stopping charging when the battery is full.

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » November 29th, 2021, 1:51 pm

Urbandreamer wrote:A USB charger could provide a nominal 5V or 20V. The new PD system, older Quick Charge system or Moto's fast charger allow the device to negotiate with the "charger" to use higher voltages on the USB wires, Which allows for more power to be delivered over the same wires.

Even if you use a dumb charger that simply provides 5V, the device is responsible for stopping charging when the battery is full.

Thanks, UD. Very helpful. :)

BJ

Return to “Building and DIY”