Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34,Anonymous, for Donating to support the site

Acoustic glass windows

Does what it says on the tin
brightncheerful
Lemon Quarter

Acoustic glass windows

Postby brightncheerful » November 29th, 2021, 12:49 pm

DAK please whether acoustic glass minimises noise originating from inside a house when heard outside the property?

tia
Bnc

AsleepInYorkshire
Lemon Half

Re: Acoustic glass windows

Postby AsleepInYorkshire » November 29th, 2021, 12:59 pm

brightncheerful wrote:DAK please whether acoustic glass minimises noise originating from inside a house when heard outside the property?

tia
Bnc

Can you clarify what you mean by acoustic glass please?

Thank you

AiY

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » November 29th, 2021, 1:09 pm

No personal experience, but a neighbour who runs a recording studio tells me that acoustic glass is much in demand from drummers. :D And that triple glazed is better than double. But that it's all a waste of time unless you soundproof the walls and floors as well. (For drummers, at least....)

Anyway, a good line of enquiry might be to find out what professional musicians do about keeping the peace with their neighbours?

BJ

AsleepInYorkshire
Lemon Half

Postby AsleepInYorkshire » November 29th, 2021, 1:31 pm

bungeejumper wrote:No personal experience, but a neighbour who runs a recording studio tells me that acoustic glass is much in demand from drummers. :D And that triple glazed is better than double. But that it's all a waste of time unless you soundproof the walls and floors as well. (For drummers, at least....)

Anyway, a good line of enquiry might be to find out what professional musicians do about keeping the peace with their neighbours?

BJ

Yes. Triple glazing reduces sound transmission. However, the reduction in sound occurs due to the distance between the glass. For insulation purposes double glazing is set 25mm apart. When the need is to reduce sound then the gap increases to approx 275mm. They are rough figures to demonstrate the concept. And yes - for drummers you need substantial sound insulation to the rest of the structure too.

AiY

mc2fool
Lemon Half

Postby mc2fool » November 29th, 2021, 1:58 pm

AsleepInYorkshire wrote:
bungeejumper wrote:No personal experience, but a neighbour who runs a recording studio tells me that acoustic glass is much in demand from drummers. :D And that triple glazed is better than double. But that it's all a waste of time unless you soundproof the walls and floors as well. (For drummers, at least....)

BJ

Yes. Triple glazing reduces sound transmission. However, the reduction in sound occurs due to the distance between the glass. For insulation purposes double glazing is set 25mm apart. When the need is to reduce sound then the gap increases to approx 275mm. They are rough figures to demonstrate the concept. And yes - for drummers you need substantial sound insulation to the rest of the structure too.

AiY

The OP is not talking about regular double/triple glazing but acoustic glass (which may then be double/triple glazed).

A quick google clarifies what is meant by acoustic glass ... ;)

"Acoustic glass consists of two or more sheets of glass, bonded together with one or more acoustic interlayers: Each pane of glass in a noise reduction window or door is laminated with a layer of polyvinyl butyral (PVB), forming a strong hydrocarbon bond with the glazing unit, this improves acoustic attenuation by reducing the elasticity of the glass and providing an extra layer of noise reduction and dampening, weakening the sound as it travels through the glass. "
https://www.evolutionwindows.com/windows/window-design-features/acoustic-glass

Stompa
Lemon Slice

Postby Stompa » November 29th, 2021, 2:06 pm

Not sure if this is of any use:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6FZbe7DEAyc

brightncheerful
Lemon Quarter

Postby brightncheerful » November 29th, 2021, 5:51 pm

Stompa wrote:Not sure if this is of any use:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6FZbe7DEAyc

Thx. the last second or so of the video (person blowing a trumpet) is the helpful answer.

Peace and quiet outside is a feature of our neighbourhood: the only background noise of note is a combination of the nearby industrial estate, people chatting as they walk by, police helicopters hovering from time to time and ''boy racers' on the by-pass at night and weekends. It's our puppy barking on the inside (and if puppy lets me my playing the piano), that we want to minimise for anyone on the outside. It would be cheaper if we could find a way to dissuade the barking but the existing double-glazing could do with replacing so may as well go the whole hog and boost the EPC rating currently at C to the upper levels. I'm awaiting an estimate from the supplier/installer for 7 windows.

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » December 1st, 2021, 8:54 am

Non dog owner here, so I have no real idea what I'm talking about. But might it be cheaper to find a way of reducing the sound at source? Several of our neighbours have consulted doggy trainers and other such experts for hyper-barkers - remedies have ranged from relaxing music to the doggy equivalent of camomile cushions, and no-one has had to get the canine psychiatrist in. Yet. :D

Well done for taking the problem seriously, though. I once lived in a (well-built) modern terraced house where my neighbours were out to work in a factory all day, every day. And their labrador barked incessantly from 8 am to 6 pm, and they never appreciated the problem because it always stopped as soon as they came home and opened the door. :|

It was driving everybody crazy, but this couple seemed impervious to all hints and suggestions. Eventually the wife became pregnant and stopped work, and the barking ceased. The poor thing had just been lonely. :(

I moved house before the sprog was old enough to allow her to go back to work! :lol:

BJ

pompeygazza
Lemon Pip

Postby pompeygazza » December 1st, 2021, 3:19 pm

It's all very well installing acoustic glass but it'll only be as good as the frame and the surround it sits in. We replaced our double glazing as we could hear everything going on outside with triple glazing and it made not a jot of difference as they used wood for the subframe and expanding foam to fill in any voids.

tjh290633
Lemon Half

Postby tjh290633 » December 2nd, 2021, 11:43 am

mc2fool wrote:The OP is not talking about regular double/triple glazing but acoustic glass (which may then be double/triple glazed).

A quick google clarifies what is meant by acoustic glass ... ;)

"Acoustic glass consists of two or more sheets of glass, bonded together with one or more acoustic interlayers: Each pane of glass in a noise reduction window or door is laminated with a layer of polyvinyl butyral (PVB), forming a strong hydrocarbon bond with the glazing unit, this improves acoustic attenuation by reducing the elasticity of the glass and providing an extra layer of noise reduction and dampening, weakening the sound as it travels through the glass. "

https://www.evolutionwindows.com/window ... stic-glass

I suspect that an air gap between thick layers of glass is far more effective. The weight of glass is what matters. This acoustic glass has two sheets, and if those had an air gap of rather more than the insulating or acoustic layer thickness, then the sound reduction would be more. If the panes of glass were also thicker, that would enhance the noise reduction.

I have just had a look at my copy of "Flat Glass Technology" by R Persson, Butterworth & Co, 1969, in which Chapter 7 deals with acoustical properties of glass in various thicknesses, up to 8mm, single, double and triple glazed, and the dimensions of the air gap, up to 150mm between the two outer glass panes.

One valuable quote is:
It is possible to get a lower insulation value in a double-glazed window, when using thick glass, than it does when using thinner glass. The reason for this is that the glass, which is itself vibrating, may create sound waves which increase the solund level (effect of coincidence). A somewhat higher sound reduction value may be obtained by using panes of different thicknesses in a double-glazed window. This will preclude the possibility of resonant vibration. If a triple-glazed and a double-glazed window have similar total thicknesses, their sound insulatin values will be almost identical. There is thus no advantage in having a third pane of glaass unless the total thickness of the window is increased.

Some advantage may be ontained by having a sound-absorbing material; at the edges between the glass pains.In properly designed sound-insulating windows it is possible to get insulating values higher than 40dB.

It's an old book, but I doubt that the physics has changed much in 52 years. Still available: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Flat-Glass-Tec ... 1489958762

TJH

bruncher
Lemon Quarter

Postby bruncher » December 2nd, 2021, 1:51 pm

brightncheerful wrote:DAK please whether acoustic glass minimises noise originating from inside a house when heard outside the property?

tia
Bnc

Why would it not be good for noise reduction both ways?

We're in a conservation area, so double glazing is discouraged but permitted within traditional timber frames which means the space between the panes is not optimum for noise or heat. One of my neighbours went for acoustic glass instead and it worked well for noise reduction.

csearle
Lemon Quarter

Postby csearle » January 24th, 2022, 6:46 pm

ReaganGmail wrote:They are very helpful in the living room. If we use them they help in reducing noise. They are bonded with one or two layers of acoustic glass.
Hi, just like to wish you a warm welcome to The Lemon Fool!

Chris

jaizan
Lemon Slice

Postby jaizan » March 27th, 2022, 11:32 am

The glass will reduce noise to the same extent in both directions.

In principle, you are looking for:
1 Thick heavy glass
2 Laminated glass
3 A very large air gap
4 Strictly no gaps and very good sealing

The most impressive acoustic glass I ever noticed was in a hotel at CDG airport. The gas was very thick and tapping it was like tapping concrete. I'd imagine it was also laminated.

Return to “Building and DIY”