Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77, for Donating to support the site

Oil filled radiator, fixed

Does what it says on the tin
bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Oil filled radiator, fixed

Postby bungeejumper » December 28th, 2021, 9:32 am

One small step for man, one less dead appliance on the corporation scrapheap. The electric oil filled radiator in my wife's playroom office died without warning the other day. No LED light showing when it was on, but a faint one when it was switched off. And no heat, dammit. :evil:

Normally I'd have thought, well, it's done fifteen years and it'll only cost forty quid to replace it. But since it was Christmas my inner Scrooge got the better of me and I took a screwdriver to it. Everything seemed to be fine. There was no discolouration in there, no loose connectors, nothing at all. And the fact that the LED glimmered (but not when it was on) was proof enough that the power cable wasn't down.

Eventually I found it. There's a pendulum switch in these heaters that turns them off if they get knocked over, and mine had got very slightly sticky with dust and general stiction. Cleaned it up, gave it a bit of exercise, problem solved. I'm generally allergic to messing with high-wattage stuff like heaters, but this one was worth it. Next time an oil filled rad goes dicky, the first thing I shall do is pick it up and shake it. :lol:

BJ

Return to “Building and DIY”