Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77, for Donating to support the site

Boiler problem - no heat

Does what it says on the tin
Newroad
Lemon Quarter

Re: Boiler problem - no heat

Postby Newroad » January 8th, 2022, 6:01 pm

Hi Clariman.

I've never thought about it before, i.e.

Megaflow (presumably Immersion) heats water*, as opposed to
    Boiler heats water*

I suppose it's plausible, but definitely not how ours works (and also, would appear to mean you have no redundancy for water heating).

Sorry if I've misunderstood.

Regards, Newroad

* presumably consumable water as to radiator or similar water?

Clariman
Lemon Quarter

Postby Clariman » January 8th, 2022, 6:16 pm

Newroad wrote:Hi Clariman.

I've never thought about it before, i.e.

Megaflow (presumably Immersion) heats water*, as opposed to
    Boiler heats water*

I suppose it's plausible, but definitely not how ours works (and also, would appear to mean you have no redundancy for water heating).

Sorry if I've misunderstood.

Regards, Newroad

* presumably consumable water as to radiator or similar water?

The engineer said boiler does heating and megaflo does water. I'm not 100% convinced. I've just had a nice bath, so if you never hear from me again you'll know that my wife didn't get hot water tomorrow morning for a shower :? :x

Mike4
Lemon Half

Postby Mike4 » January 8th, 2022, 8:04 pm

Clariman wrote:Well we've had 2 engineers out today: the first was a young lad who was very helpful but not very experienced. His backup came half an hour ago and says the boiler is fine but PCB is knackered. Unfortunately the company doesn't carry high value parts as standard because they are worried their guys will do homers. So it will be ordered first thing Monday.

Beware, this is going ever so slightly off piste. The PCB will normally be on the shelf to buy over the counter at any boiler spares merchant, so needing to order it doesn't quite ring true. It should have been "I'll pick one up for you first thing Monday morning". But I grant if you live out in the sticks and not near a major town it might not be so easy.

Secondly starting with the PCB is the same path I've unsuccessfully trodden several times with this boiler. The chap may well be right but I suggest clarifying with them what happens if the fault persists after fitting the new PCB, before they fit it. Just so both of you know if said PCB still has to be paid for, along with the labour charge, or not, or what. I guess I'm more fussy than most technicians about accurate diagnosis as I work on a "no-fix, no-fee" basis. So if my supposed fix turns out not to be a fix I don't bill the customer. I meet a constant trickle of people who've been charged hundreds of quid for no fix before I got involved which I think is grossly unfair, and I suggest you head this one off in advance, just in case.

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » January 8th, 2022, 8:10 pm

Clariman wrote:The engineer said boiler does heating and megaflo does water. I'm not 100% convinced. I've just had a nice bath, so if you never hear from me again you'll know that my wife didn't get hot water tomorrow morning for a shower :? :x

Bracing cold shower'll do her good :twisted:

I'm reminded of a year ago when my boiler was on life-support and my showers were rarely hot.

Clariman
Lemon Quarter

Postby Clariman » January 8th, 2022, 8:42 pm

Mike4 wrote:
Clariman wrote:Well we've had 2 engineers out today: the first was a young lad who was very helpful but not very experienced. His backup came half an hour ago and says the boiler is fine but PCB is knackered. Unfortunately the company doesn't carry high value parts as standard because they are worried their guys will do homers. So it will be ordered first thing Monday.

Beware, this is going ever so slightly off piste. The PCB will normally be on the shelf to buy over the counter at any boiler spares merchant, so needing to order it doesn't quite ring true. It should have been "I'll pick one up for you first thing Monday morning". But I grant if you live out in the sticks and not near a major town it might not be so easy.

Secondly starting with the PCB is the same path I've unsuccessfully trodden several times with this boiler. The chap may well be right but I suggest clarifying with them what happens if the fault persists after fitting the new PCB, before they fit it. Just so both of you know if said PCB still has to be paid for, along with the labour charge, or not, or what. I guess I'm more fussy than most technicians about accurate diagnosis as I work on a "no-fix, no-fee" basis. So if my supposed fix turns out not to be a fix I don't bill the customer. I meet a constant trickle of people who've been charged hundreds of quid for no fix before I got involved which I think is grossly unfair, and I suggest you head this one off in advance, just in case.

Thanks Mike
It is covered by the household emergency part of our Home Buildings and Contents so won't cost us. I agree about engineers not doing proper problem diagnosis but I think they have ruled out the other dry fire potential issues.

Clariman
Lemon Quarter

Postby Clariman » January 9th, 2022, 3:09 pm

Well this morning's experience suggests that our Megaflo does NOT heat the water. Mrs C had a shower but had to turn it up a setting. I then tried to run a bath but soon realised it wasn't going to fill out but I didanage to get a quick shower.

So we have gone to stay in our holiday let for a few days until we can get it fixed. Lucky to have the option.

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » January 9th, 2022, 3:17 pm

Clariman wrote:Well this morning's experience suggests that our Megaflo does NOT heat the water. Mrs C had a shower but had to turn it up a setting. I then tried to run a bath but soon realised it wasn't going to fill out but I didanage to get a quick shower.

So we have gone to stay in our holiday let for a few days until we can get it fixed. Lucky to have the option.

I am not very up on these matters but I did not see how the megaflow could heat the water when you mentioned it yesterday. It is simply a big tank which holds the hot water (however it is heated) with the ability to regularise the pressure by being unvented so that if several taps are open at the same time no matter as you will always get good mmains pressure. That is why they have immersion heaters.

Dod

Clariman
Lemon Quarter

Postby Clariman » January 9th, 2022, 4:09 pm

Dod101 wrote:
Clariman wrote:Well this morning's experience suggests that our Megaflo does NOT heat the water. Mrs C had a shower but had to turn it up a setting. I then tried to run a bath but soon realised it wasn't going to fill out but I didanage to get a quick shower.

I am not very up on these matters but I did not see how the megaflow could heat the water when you mentioned it yesterday. It is simply a big tank which holds the hot water (however it is heated) with the ability to regularise the pressure by being unvented so that if several taps are open at the same time no matter as you will always get good mmains pressure. That is why they have immersion heaters.

Dod

Some models are standalone ones that do have immersions. As Mike said (think it was Mike) the boiler-attached ones have a backup immersion. In fact the engineer showed me it, but looks like it is either not switched on or is set for a low temperature.

Lemon Quarter

Postby 9873210 » January 9th, 2022, 5:46 pm

Clariman wrote:Some models are standalone ones that do have immersions. As Mike said (think it was Mike) the boiler-attached ones have a backup immersion. In fact the engineer showed me it, but looks like it is either not switched on or is set for a low temperature.

Sorry to hear that, but it should serve as a reminder to everybody to CHECK YOUR BACKUPS.

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » January 9th, 2022, 9:05 pm

9873210 wrote:
Clariman wrote:Some models are standalone ones that do have immersions. As Mike said (think it was Mike) the boiler-attached ones have a backup immersion. In fact the engineer showed me it, but looks like it is either not switched on or is set for a low temperature.

Sorry to hear that, but it should serve as a reminder to everybody to CHECK YOUR BACKUPS.

I used to think my backup was to go to the public baths and pay a few squid for a hot shower.

Then came lockdown. :(

Clariman - sounds like a good time to test-drive whatever things you provide for your paying guests. Not just their hot water ;)

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » January 9th, 2022, 9:24 pm

Clariman wrote:
Dod101 wrote:

Dod

Some models are standalone ones that do have immersions. As Mike said (think it was Mike) the boiler-attached ones have a backup immersion. In fact the engineer showed me it, but looks like it is either not switched on or is set for a low temperature.

Mine has a little plate on the Megflo which you can unscrew and it reveals the thermostat. I was told it ought to be around 60/65C. You do not want it too high or the safety valve may cut in nor too low so as to avoid legionnaires and all that. Worth either checking it yourself or get the guy who comes to look at the boiler to check it out for you.

Dod

Clariman
Lemon Quarter

Postby Clariman » January 13th, 2022, 10:02 am

I have created a new topic to ask about replacement boilers but would like to continue to discuss the Megaflo water tank here.

Although our now defunct boiler normally provides our hot water, the Megaflo does have an immersion/thermostat - I can see it. Our neighbours have a similar setup with an power switch for the backup Megaflo immerson. So they normally have it off, but put it on if they have a boiler problem and they continue to get hot water. We have a similar switch which was already switched on. The thermostat on the Megaflo is set at 4 on a scale of 1 to 5 which I think means 55 degrees C (if google can be trusted). But we have no water.

With a setup like this, does the immersion only kick on as backup when our Hive calls for the water to be heated and the boiler cannot provide it? Or would it have separate controls? The house originally had a hot water control panel inside the house which was replaced by the hot water function on the Hive. Is it likely that the British Gas engineer took the Megaflo immersion out of the loop by mistake or would he go nowhere near that?

If we end up replacing the boiler (see other post) I would really like to get the hot water back on with the Megaflo.

Any ideas? Setup/wiring issue or burned out immersion?? How would I know and/or which tradeperson if the best to look into it?

Thanks
C

BullDog
Lemon Quarter

Postby BullDog » January 13th, 2022, 11:46 am

Clariman wrote:I have created a new topic to ask about replacement boilers but would like to continue to discuss the Megaflo water tank here.

Although our now defunct boiler normally provides our hot water, the Megaflo does have an immersion/thermostat - I can see it. Our neighbours have a similar setup with an power switch for the backup Megaflo immerson. So they normally have it off, but put it on if they have a boiler problem and they continue to get hot water. We have a similar switch which was already switched on. The thermostat on the Megaflo is set at 4 on a scale of 1 to 5 which I think means 55 degrees C (if google can be trusted). But we have no water.

With a setup like this, does the immersion only kick on as backup when our Hive calls for the water to be heated and the boiler cannot provide it? Or would it have separate controls? The house originally had a hot water control panel inside the house which was replaced by the hot water function on the Hive. Is it likely that the British Gas engineer took the Megaflo immersion out of the loop by mistake or would he go nowhere near that?

If we end up replacing the boiler (see other post) I would really like to get the hot water back on with the Megaflo.

Any ideas? Setup/wiring issue or burned out immersion?? How would I know and/or which tradeperson if the best to look into it?

Thanks
C

In your shoes, I would be hunting around for a second switch. Mine has a switch in the cupboard where the cylinder is and a switch downstairs in the kitchen. For the immersion heater to work, both switches have to be "on". Hope that helps.

Return to “Building and DIY”