Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34,Anonymous, for Donating to support the site

Painting kitchen drawers and shelves

Does what it says on the tin
swill453
Lemon Half

Painting kitchen drawers and shelves

Postby swill453 » February 22nd, 2022, 9:35 am

For various reasons I'm considering giving my kitchen a "refresh" rather than complete overhaul. This will entail new doors and drawer-fronts, but re-using the existing carcases.

The shelf and drawer surfaces are the usual while melamine-covered chipboard, but getting tired and worn in places.

I was hoping to be able to give them a coat of white paint. It would need to be able to adhere to the melamine, and be tough enough to withstand the wear and tear these things get with things being thrown into drawers, scraped over shelves etc.

Any recommendations on preparation, type of primer, paint etc.?

Scott.

DrFfybes
Lemon Quarter

Re: Painting kitchen drawers and shelves

Postby DrFfybes » February 22nd, 2022, 10:06 am

One suggestion - don't bother. If you can chip or wear laminate, then paint won't last anything like as well. You can usually get replacement shelves pretty easily, or perhaps turn the existing ones over.

In days of old you used newspaper, wallpaper, or Fablon for protecting drawer inners, the former being a great source of interest for those clearing out the kitchens of elderly residents.

One thing to note with 'off the shelf' cupboard doors is that hinge spacing is not universal, so you will probably need to redrill the carcasses to match the hiinge recesses machined into the doors. If they're only slightly different it is a real PITA as the holes merge into each other. I would hope the custom door places will machine the doors to match your existing spacing.

Paul

NearlyThere
Lemon Pip

Postby NearlyThere » February 22nd, 2022, 10:13 am

Vinyl wrap? (Sticky back plastic in my day)

CliffEdge
Lemon Quarter

Postby CliffEdge » February 22nd, 2022, 10:35 am

DrFfybes wrote:One suggestion - don't bother. If you can chip or wear laminate, then paint won't last anything like as well. You can usually get replacement shelves pretty easily, or perhaps turn the existing ones over.

In days of old you used newspaper, wallpaper, or Fablon for protecting drawer inners, the former being a great source of interest for those clearing out the kitchens of elderly residents.

One thing to note with 'off the shelf' cupboard doors is that hinge spacing is not universal, so you will probably need to redrill the carcasses to match the hiinge recesses machined into the doors. If they're only slightly different it is a real PITA as the holes merge into each other. I would hope the custom door places will machine the doors to match your existing spacing.

Paul

You can glue dowels into existing holes. Works quite well, I've done it, works out quite solid and strong

fisher
Lemon Slice

Postby fisher » February 22nd, 2022, 11:00 am

In response to ideas about suitable primers, I have had excellent results using the Zinsser range of primers on previously glossed or varnished surfaces - I've used both Zinsser BIN and Zinsser Bulls Eye 1-2-3 primers. https://www.zinsseruk.com/product/

I believe they are both suitable for Melamine, but check this is correct.

BIN is shellac based, extremely quick drying and requires methylated spirits to clean the brushes. You have to work with it quickly as it dries so quick.
Bulls Eye is easier to use and is water based.

88V8
Lemon Half

Postby 88V8 » February 24th, 2022, 10:56 am

swill453 wrote:Any recommendations on preparation, type of primer, paint etc.?

The result will not be at all durable. I would give it all a really good clean and perhaps polish it with Solvol Autosol - yes, it's a chrome polish - and leave it at that.
Drawers in particular... do you really want your implements embellished with paint fragments...

But if you must waste your time... :) sand thoroughly with 100 grit then clean off with white spirit, using a brush to clean into any corners.

Then try Johnstone's Cupboard paint https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/254505158611 which is designed to stick to plastic, and says it's self-priming.

V8

Amilie

Postby Amilie » April 20th, 2022, 10:11 am

swill453 wrote:For various reasons I'm considering giving my kitchen a "refresh" rather than complete overhaul. This will entail new doors and drawer-fronts, but re-using the existing carcases.

The shelf and drawer surfaces are the usual while melamine-covered chipboard, but getting tired and worn in places.

I was hoping to be able to give them a coat of white paint. It would need to be able to adhere to the melamine, and be tough enough to withstand the wear and tear these things get with things being thrown into drawers, scraped over shelves etc.

Scott.

The best primer to use is oil-based primer, or shellac-based primer. Don't use latex primer. Question: I need to repaint my cabinets. They have a clear coat on them.

Plus, I chose a latex satin paint, but you can paint furniture in any finish you like. Satin, semi-gloss, or gloss will give you more of a polished look – satin the least shiny – gloss the most shiny.

quelquod
Lemon Quarter

Postby quelquod » April 20th, 2022, 1:01 pm

I wouldn’t consider painting kitchen cabinet doors as unless you prepare them well and spray several coats the results will be of poor appearance and even then nowhere near laminate in durability.

Replacing doors and drawer fronts is quite affordable and easy with very modest diy skills. I’ve replaced ours in the kitchen and utility rooms and after several years they still look excellent on the original carcasses. Advertising is frowned on here but a few Google searches finds several suppliers and they will send you small sample doors at little cost (free if you then order) to see if you like the colour you’ve chosen. You need to measure the sizes accurately including the hinge spacing from the edges (not difficult but take a bit of care) and you can reuse your existing handles by drilling through the existing doors as a template. Various styles are available (plain, Quaker etc.) and a range of gloss and matt finishes.

bionichamster
Lemon Slice

Postby bionichamster » May 2nd, 2022, 10:34 am

quelquod wrote:I wouldn’t consider painting kitchen cabinet doors as unless you prepare them well and spray several coats the results will be of poor appearance and even then nowhere near laminate in durability.

Replacing doors and drawer fronts is quite affordable and easy with very modest diy skills. I’ve replaced ours in the kitchen and utility rooms and after several years they still look excellent on the original carcasses. Advertising is frowned on here but a few Google searches finds several suppliers and they will send you small sample doors at little cost (free if you then order) to see if you like the colour you’ve chosen. You need to measure the sizes accurately including the hinge spacing from the edges (not difficult but take a bit of care) and you can reuse your existing handles by drilling through the existing doors as a template. Various styles are available (plain, Quaker etc.) and a range of gloss and matt finishes.

I tend to agree, although I expect paint tech may have improved a bit I recent years. At the end of the day the quality and durability of any paint finish is as much down to proper prep.

Interestingly, given my past experience of hand painted kitchen cabinets was in student dives, I found it amusing when some friends of ours bought a house with a bespoke kitchen fitted by the previous owners (several tens of thousands of £ worth), and one of the 'selling points' of this kitchen was that it was hand-painted (by 'craftsmen' of course...).

When the 'foil' wrap on ours started to peel, painting wasn't really an option, I just bought new doors, luckily the company still made the same range in various styles so they fitted straight on with no mods. Probably worth trying the paint if replacing the doors is a feasible backup option.

BH

Amilie

Postby Amilie » May 17th, 2022, 7:05 pm

Amilie wrote:
swill453 wrote:For various reasons I'm considering giving my kitchen a "refresh" rather than complete overhaul. This will entail new doors and drawer-fronts, but re-using the existing carcases.

Scott.

The best primer to use is oil-based primer, or shellac-based primer. Don't use latex primer. Question: I need to repaint my cabinets. They have a clear coat on them.

Plus, I chose a latex satin paint, but you can paint furniture in any finish you like. Satin, semi-gloss, or gloss will give you more of a polished look – satin the least shiny – gloss the most shiny.

Maroochydore
Lemon Slice

Postby Maroochydore » May 18th, 2022, 8:11 pm

bionichamster wrote:When the 'foil' wrap on ours started to peel, painting wasn't really an option, I just bought new doors, luckily the company still made the same range in various styles so they fitted straight on with no mods. Probably worth trying the paint if replacing the doors is a feasible backup option.

I've just had a foil-wrap door go and a couple more showing signs of blowing. I decided to re-spray the one door using Rustoleum's Mode High Gloss paint thinking it would get near the high-gloss wrap finish.

Replacing the door wasn't an option. It was 17 years old and made to a Wickes size that no one else does. Wickes had a very limited range of doors, preferring to sell a new unit all boxed up with the door.

The wrap came off easily leaving a smooth mdf raised and fielded door. Two cans of primer and a can of high gloss gave me a finish that can only be described as under-whelming (and patchy).

Best advise I can give is a) don't try and match an existing door and b) don't bother with the Mode spray. A high-gloss brush applied paint will do a better job.

Amilie

Postby Amilie » May 18th, 2022, 8:33 pm

Amilie wrote:
Amilie wrote:

Scott.

Return to “Building and DIY”