Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34,Anonymous, for Donating to support the site

3-amp socket

Does what it says on the tin
MyNameIsUrl
Lemon Slice

3-amp socket

Postby MyNameIsUrl » April 19th, 2022, 3:46 pm

In my house I have a fused spur with a 3 amp fuse which provides power for an alarm panel and lighting for one room. I’ve always assumed the spur was taken from the socket in the bedroom directly above. It’s never been any trouble in 20+ years I’ve lived here.

Until last week, when the alarm, lighting, and socket all had a loss of power. Investigation showed the spur is not taken from that socket, but from elsewhere, and – this is the surprising bit - the socket is powered through the spur with the 3-amp fuse. This has powered a bedside lamp for many years, and the issue only came to light when a guest tried to use a hairdryer in the socket.

How worried should I be? It would be rather disruptive to rewire the spur and socket so I don’t want to do that if the consequences don’t warrant it. As I said it’s been like that 20+ years.

Gerry557
Lemon Quarter

Re: 3-amp socket

Postby Gerry557 » April 19th, 2022, 6:29 pm

Can you identify where it's powered from on the consumer unit. Ie does it go off when the sockets are switched off.

It might be just the wrong fuse installed. If it powered from a lighting circuit you could stick in another 3 amp fuse and make a mental note just to use the lamp.

Ideally get a professional to check and correct as required.

jfgw
Lemon Quarter

Re: 3-amp socket

Postby jfgw » April 19th, 2022, 7:08 pm

Gerry557 wrote:Can you identify where it's powered from on the consumer unit. Ie does it go off when the sockets are switched off.

This would be a first step.

An option may be to replace the socket with a 3A one and fit a 3A plug to the lamp.

Julian F. G. W.

Return to “Building and DIY”