Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

USB Wall Sockets

Does what it says on the tin
moorfield
Lemon Quarter

USB Wall Sockets

Postby moorfield » June 8th, 2022, 8:16 pm

With the proliferation of electronic devices chez nous I am considering upgrading a couple of double plug socket plates to add some USB sockets, like these, (rather than buying yet more chargers which seem to clutter up the place, get lost and or the cables twisted etc.)

https://www.screwfix.com/c/electrical-l ... bports=usb

Any opinions on these (i) are there particular ones that charge faster than others and (ii) is it a job I can do myself, ie switch off mains, undo and rewire the socket, switch bck on mains

Thanks in advance

Watis
Lemon Quarter

Re: USB Wall Sockets

Postby Watis » June 8th, 2022, 8:33 pm

moorfield wrote:With the proliferation of electronic devices chez nous I am considering upgrading a couple of double plug socket plates to add some USB sockets, like these, (rather than buying yet more chargers which seem to clutter up the place, get lost and or the cables twisted etc.)

Any opinions on these (i) are there particular ones that charge faster than others and (ii) is it a job I can do myself, ie switch off mains, undo and rewire the socket, switch bck on mains

Thanks in advance

I would be interested to know whether the USB sockets in these 13 Amp sockets are switched, or always live - and therefore always consuming energy, even if at a very low wattage.

So, does the switch work on both the 13 amp and USB socket at the same time?

Thanks,

Watis

Maroochydore
Lemon Slice

Postby Maroochydore » June 8th, 2022, 8:50 pm

Watis wrote:I would be interested to know whether the USB sockets in these 13 Amp sockets are switched, or always live - and therefore always consuming energy, even if at a very low wattage.

From the Screwfix Q&A on this product :
Yes, the USB's will operate without the sockets being on.

richlist
Lemon Quarter

Postby richlist » June 8th, 2022, 9:02 pm

I fitted a double socket with two usb's in the utility room. It looks like the same one as on your link. Seems to work ok.....got it from Screwfix. It hasn't burnt the house down yet.

Bminusrob
Lemon Slice

Postby Bminusrob » June 8th, 2022, 9:10 pm

moorfield wrote:With the proliferation of electronic devices chez nous I am considering upgrading a couple of double plug socket plates to add some USB sockets, like these, (rather than buying yet more chargers which seem to clutter up the place, get lost and or the cables twisted etc.)

Thanks in advance

(i) Yes. Some charge faster than others. See the ratings on the Screwfix page (2A, 3.1A, 4.2A)
(ii)Yes. You can do it yourself. I did in my old house. However as you will see on the Screwfix page, they require a 25mm (deep) back box. If you only have an 18mm back box, it is a bit more difficult.

I replaced probably half a dozen sockets with USB sockets in my previous house, and I have replaced a couple in my current house. However, I have found that they rarely get used for a variety of reasons. Even more fun these days is the choice between USB-A and USB-C. Mine have all been the older type with two USB-A sockets. The USB-C sockets can provide considerably more power, so may I may switch to some of these so I can power my Raspberry Pi computers.

In answer to Watis's question about switched or non-switched, and powr consumption, the USB is on all the time, but if you never plugged anything in to it, it would probably only use 10p to 20p of electricity per year.

Watis
Lemon Quarter

Postby Watis » June 8th, 2022, 9:19 pm

Maroochydore wrote:
Watis wrote:I would be interested to know whether the USB sockets in these 13 Amp sockets are switched, or always live - and therefore always consuming energy, even if at a very low wattage.

From the Screwfix Q&A on this product :
Yes, the USB's will operate without the sockets being on.

Thanks, Maroochydore, I hadn't checked the Q&As.

I've found a Q&A for the Mk equivalent, where MK tech support states that the drain is 150mW. An electrician then converts that to 1.3kWh per annum, about 20p (more like a quid nowadays, I'd guess!)

Watis

Edit to add that I only saw Bminusrob's post after I posted mine.

csearle
Lemon Quarter

Postby csearle » June 8th, 2022, 10:37 pm

moorfield wrote:...and (ii) is it a job I can do myself, ie switch off mains, undo and rewire the socket, switch back on mains
Yes absolutely as has been said. Just make sure the same wires go back in the L, N, and ⏚ terminals. C.

moorfield
Lemon Quarter

Postby moorfield » June 9th, 2022, 9:16 am

csearle wrote:
moorfield wrote:...and (ii) is it a job I can do myself, ie switch off mains, undo and rewire the socket, switch back on mains
Yes absolutely as has been said. Just make sure the same wires go back in the L, N, and ⏚ terminals. C.

Thanks all, I suppose what I should do first then before I buy anything is open up the existing sockets and check the back box depths. No idea what that would be.

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Postby Itsallaguess » June 9th, 2022, 9:49 am

moorfield wrote:
I suppose what I should do first then before I buy anything is open up the existing sockets and check the back box depths.

No idea what that would be.

Yup - definitely worth checking for an existing 25mm back-box first...

If you're unlucky enough to have shallower ones though, there are spacer-options available that might still offer solutions to suit your needs -

Source - https://www.screwfix.com/c/electrical-lighting/switches-sockets/cat830530?numberofgangs=2_gang&switchessocketsproducttype=spacer

We've got a couple of USB-enabled double-sockets above our kitchen worktops, which we find get quite a lot of use given their handy placement, and whilst there's a number of device-types getting charged off them (USB-A / USB-C etc..), we've found that the USB-A double-sockets have been adequate for our use, with appropriate plug-changes being carried out in the various cables used. If there's any differences in charging times available from this usage pattern, it's not something that's been noticeable or that's bothered us at all.

On the subject of charging cables in this type of scenario, we also mounted some handy cable-tidy brackets on the inside of a nearby kitchen cupboard door, which has been a good decision in terms of encouraging everyone to replace cables when not in use, and has saved an awful lot of previous frustration where we weren't as well organised in the past, and found missing cables to be a frequent source of angst...

These are the ones we used, but I can't find an in-stock merchant at the moment unfortunately -

Source - https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B08PFYDTBS

Finally, I'm not sure if you're aware or even if something like this might be suitable, but you can also get socket-mountable brackets that can act as a little shelf above any charging points, which might sometimes help to keep things tidy and off surfaces that might normally be used for other things -

Source - https://www.screwfix.com/p/lap-2-gang-socket-shelf-white/6677t

If you do go ahead with a swap-out of your current socket(s), then just a quick tip on the re-wiring...

To help achieve the best connections to L/N/Earth, on wiring that can shift quite a bit sometimes when you push the sockets back into place, make sure to always do it in a two-stage tightening process -

1. Connect up the new socket, checking for tightness on the L/N/Earth connections - tight, but not *too* tight - don't strip the grub screws...

2. Arrange the cabling behind the socket into the best position as you initially push back the new socket all the way flush to the wall, into what will ultimately be it's 'final' position when screwed up.

3. Then, pull the socket back away from the wall slightly, just enough to be able to get a screwdriver into all the wiring connections again, and give each screw a fresh tighten, just to check that nothing has been dislodged as you've pushed the socket and wiring back in the step above.

4. Finally push the socket front back into place for a second time, and screw it into the back-box as required.

The above process will help avoid what is often a common issue, where initially-tight connections can be dislodged slightly on the initial push-back, and where over time, heat-related connection issues can cause longer term problems...

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Postby Itsallaguess » June 10th, 2022, 12:25 pm

moorfield wrote:
With the proliferation of electronic devices chez nous I am considering upgrading a couple of double plug socket plates to add some USB sockets

Just a quick heads-up in case you're not aware - Screwfix have currently got a '2 for £16' offer on some twin Type-A USB (3.1 amp output) double sockets -

https://www.screwfix.com/p/british-general-900-series-13a-2-gang-sp-switched-socket-3-1a-2-outlet-type-a-usb-charger-white/8529p

That seems like good value for some higher-output USB sockets, so long as the Type-A USB socket suits your usage requirements.

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

kempiejon
Lemon Quarter

Postby kempiejon » June 10th, 2022, 2:04 pm

moorfield wrote:Thanks all, I suppose what I should do first then before I buy anything is open up the existing sockets and check the back box depths. No idea what that would be.

I suppose what you should do first before you open up the existing sockets is isolate the circuit the socket is on from the fusebox/consumer unit.

moorfield
Lemon Quarter

Postby moorfield » June 10th, 2022, 2:28 pm

kempiejon wrote:
moorfield wrote:Thanks all, I suppose what I should do first then before I buy anything is open up the existing sockets and check the back box depths. No idea what that would be.

I suppose what you should do first before you open up the existing sockets is isolate the circuit the socket is on from the fusebox/consumer unit.

Yes of course, that is assumed given what I wrote previously!

Return to “Building and DIY”