Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Wasron,jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly, for Donating to support the site

Heat-resistant, very hard setting putty

Does what it says on the tin
Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Heat-resistant, very hard setting putty

Postby Itsallaguess » June 24th, 2022, 2:18 pm

Just a quick shout out for the heat-resistant, very hard setting putty linked below, which has just completed a two-year tour of service in my tool-box drawer and is still going strong when asked to step up to the plate -

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Weld-8297-HighHeat-Temperature-Resistant/dp/B007PP26RI

Initially bought a couple of years ago to help with a cooker-door repair, where the hinges weren't maintaining the required closed-door pressure on the rubber door-seal, and where I needed a good heat-resistant bond to help secure some strong Samarium Cobalt magnets to the oven casing, the HighHeat putty did a brilliant job that's still going strong today, with no sign of fatigue. The heat-resistant putty sets like steel, and can withstand continuous temperatures of 400 degrees Fahrenheit, and so I expect it to last longer than the oven itself now it's got through it's apprenticeship...

It comes in a plastic tube, and looks like a sausage, with two individual putty-elements used as part of the two-mix components in the one tube, so you just slice a bit off, blend it together well using suitable disposable gloves to activate the curing process, and then apply as required, moulding to suit the particular bonding application. It was easy to work with, and has set tremendously well, so it did the single job it was bought for perfectly...

Fast-foward two years, and earlier this week I noticed that there was a bright-sounding rattle from under the rear of my car, and taking a look on the drive I noticed that two of the rear-exhaust heat-shield fixings had blown, leaving the rear-end of it flapping around and rattling on the back-box.

Under the car, I was able to get some penetrating oil on one of the fixings, and a quick repair with a large penny washer was a great fix for that side of the exhaust shield, but as these things go, the threaded fixing on the other side decided that a complete divorce from it's previous job-role was the best thing to happen, and I was then left with nothing to screw onto on that particular side.

A quick rummage in a garage drawer, and I grabbed the HighTemp putty, more in hope than expectation after being sat in the drawer for so long, but on opening the tube it looked in just the same state as I'd put it away after the initial oven job, so I sliced another bit off, blended it to set the curing off, and pasted the putty between the exhaust-shield and the car underside, where the previous fixing thread used to be. I also peeled off a little test-ball of the blended putty to keep separately off the job, so I could easily test for correct curing and setting later on, without having to check under the car all the time initially...

I gave it three or four hours and went to check on the test-ball, and was over the moon to see that it had indeed set like steel, just like the previous application, and having also now checked under the car to see how it looks in the empty fixing area, I'm pleased to say that it looks like the HighHeat putty tube is still as good as new all these years later.

Anyhow, if anyone is ever in the market for a similar high-heat, 'hard as steel' bonding putty, then I can definitely recommend the above linked J-B Weld 8297 HighHeat Temperature Resistant Epoxy Putty, and given that I've still only used about a tenth of the length of the original putty tube on the two separate jobs it's been tasked with up to now, it still looks like it's going to be able to continue delivering on these types of solutions for some time yet...

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

Return to “Building and DIY”