Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

Consumer Unit Needs Moving to Allow Wet Room Construction

Does what it says on the tin
AsleepInYorkshire
Lemon Half

Consumer Unit Needs Moving to Allow Wet Room Construction

Postby AsleepInYorkshire » July 1st, 2022, 8:48 pm

My parents in law live in a small 2 bedroom semi detached house.

The existing kitchen is 3.5 x 2.4m. I want to convert this room into a wet room for my father in law who is now unable to walk.

The consumer unit is in the kitchen and needs to be relocated. The under stair cupboard is about 1.8m away.

I'm aware this won't be a cheap job, but would welcome any thoughts regarding budget. And of course any "gotchas" would be welcome. I'm planning on fire lining under the stairs.

Thank you

AiY(D)

staffordian
Lemon Quarter

Re: Consumer Unit Needs Moving to Allow Wet Room Construction

Postby staffordian » July 1st, 2022, 8:52 pm

Until an expert (Chris?) pops by, the only gotcha I'd mention is that whoever does this job effectively has to take responsibility for the entire house electrics and ensure they are good before signing off the job.

So be aware that other totally unrelated issues might need addressing at the same time.

csearle
Lemon Quarter

Postby csearle » July 1st, 2022, 10:12 pm

AsleepInYorkshire wrote:I'm aware this won't be a cheap job, but would welcome any thoughts regarding budget. And of course any "gotchas" would be welcome.
Well as our staffordian said, the installer will effectively take responsibility for the safety of the whole electrical installation so if there are any significant issues at all then they will have to be remedied. That is a potential extra cost. If there is no 10sqmm bonding between gas/water/oil/electricity intakes already then that will have to be installed. For a normal consumer unit (CU) change I reckon at the moment about £325 for parts + a day's installation and testing. The labour will vary across the country. I presume you are in Yorkshire and that might well be cheaper than here in the stockbroker belt.

The extra above and beyond that will be associated with the move of the CU and any extra circuits for the new wet room (lighting, underfloor heating, extraction, towel rail, etc.). If the cables to the existing CU can be pulled back and are long enough to present at the new CU location this would be ideal. Otherwise they will need to be extended back. The location and arrangement for containing the cable extensions will be fairly key in determining how easily (and therefore cheaply) the job can be done. If you can estimate where the cables currently run and present the electrician with a notion as to where he/she could conveniently locate a moderately large box for the junctions then that might help reduce the size of his/her estimate.

Chris

quelquod
Lemon Quarter

Postby quelquod » July 1st, 2022, 10:21 pm

Will you need to move the meter and incoming too?

jaizan
Lemon Slice

Postby jaizan » July 2nd, 2022, 1:13 pm

Surely a big proportion of the cost might be due to relocating the wire to the new location ?

Unless you're exceptionally lucky, all the wires are not going to go through the new location on the way to the existing location.

So somehow, the wires have to be extended or re-routed from the current location to the new one. Which I presume may need some connections made in the existing location.

Lemon Quarter

Postby 9873210 » July 2nd, 2022, 4:37 pm

jaizan wrote:Which I presume may need some connections made in the existing location.

The existing location will be in a wet room. Does this present a complication? Perhaps requiring the existing cables to be cut back further to avoid junctions in a wet location?

Return to “Building and DIY”