Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

In-line electrical connector

Does what it says on the tin
MyNameIsUrl
Lemon Slice

In-line electrical connector

Postby MyNameIsUrl » July 11th, 2022, 3:31 pm

I frequently transport a small electric lawnmower in my car boot - the handle comes off so it's relatively easy to carry and fits in easily. What's a right pain though is that the cable is permanently attached to both the handle and the mower which makes it really awkward to lift in and out.

Can I cut the wire and fit an in-line connector? For example https://cpc.farnell.com/permaplug/nc10- ... connectors
The mower is double insulated, not used in the rain, and when assembled there is no strain on the cable.

richlist
Lemon Quarter

Re: In-line electrical connector

Postby richlist » July 11th, 2022, 3:43 pm

The short answer is yes you can. All the electric mowers I've seen have 2 core cable. There are loads of connectors for sale on eBay or Amazon that will also do the job for you. Just make sure you DON'T wire the connector with the male pins to the lead that plugs into the power supply

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Postby Itsallaguess » July 11th, 2022, 3:56 pm

MyNameIsUrl wrote:
Can I cut the wire and fit an in-line connector? For example https://cpc.farnell.com/permaplug/nc10- ... connectors

The mower is double insulated, not used in the rain, and when assembled there is no strain on the cable.

The only thing I'd be worried about regarding your linked connector is that there's nothing in the way of a mechanical connection between the two halves, and I'd be concerned that they could work apart during operation of the mower.

That would be a show-stopper for me personally, and I'd be looking at some sort of screw-fit connector that will carry out the same function, but with a mechanical screw-connection holding the two connector-halves together, so something like this -

Knightsbridge JB0011 Weatherproof IP68 (@2bar) Plug and Socket Inline Cable Connector, 3-Pole, rated to 16 A -

Source, and link to the above product - https://www.amazon.co.uk/Knightsbridge-Socket-Cable-Connector-3-Pole/dp/B076QH9VF4

There may be better screwed alternatives to the above, so this is just an example of what I'd personally be looking for, rather than just a 'squeeze-fit' connector...

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

MyNameIsUrl
Lemon Slice

Postby MyNameIsUrl » July 11th, 2022, 3:57 pm

richlist wrote:Just make sure you DON'T wire the connector with the male pins to the lead that plugs into the power supply

Thanks, yes, point taken.

modellingman
Lemon Slice

Postby modellingman » July 14th, 2022, 5:27 pm

Itsallaguess wrote:
MyNameIsUrl wrote:

The only thing I'd be worried about regarding your linked connector is that there's nothing in the way of a mechanical connection between the two halves, and I'd be concerned that they could work apart during operation of the mower.

That would be a show-stopper for me personally, and I'd be looking at some sort of screw-fit connector that will carry out the same function, but with a mechanical screw-connection holding the two connector-halves together, so something like this -

Knightsbridge JB0011 Weatherproof IP68 (@2bar) Plug and Socket Inline Cable Connector, 3-Pole, rated to 16 A -

Source, and link to the above product - https://www.amazon.co.uk/Knightsbridge-Socket-Cable-Connector-3-Pole/dp/B076QH9VF4

There may be better screwed alternatives to the above, so this is just an example of what I'd personally be looking for, rather than just a 'squeeze-fit' connector...

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

The other perspective on this is that if the supply flex inadvertently snags somewhere then any resulting tug will separate the in-line plug and socket and these can then then be re-connected once the snagging has been resolved. The screw type connector you suggest will lead to strain on the flex connections which might, over time, result in a safety issue. As well as cheapness, I suspect this is one reason why every piece of mains powered garden equipment I have ever bought (lawn mower, hedge trimmer, strimmer, etc) has always had a pull-apart in-line plug and socket supplied as standard. There is probably a CE standard covering these things.

Return to “Building and DIY”