Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

new Loo

Does what it says on the tin
Lesleyfool
Lemon Pip

new Loo

Postby Lesleyfool » July 22nd, 2022, 12:23 pm

I need a new inexpensive loo since the existing 60,s (?) style one has a crack in the ceramic base.

space isn’t a problem but has anyone any pointers for me regarding:

Make?
Tank size?
Seat height?
Flush button style?
one or two flush?
Flushing capability?

thanks

scrumpyjack
Lemon Quarter

Re: new Loo

Postby scrumpyjack » July 22nd, 2022, 1:04 pm

you could 'splash out' on the automatic smart loo with remote control(!). Only £6,600 (plus fitting)

https://www.victorianplumbing.co.uk/geb ... oss-chrome

Oh sorry you said inexpensive. Only get this one if you are feeling really flush with funds :D

DrFfybes
Lemon Quarter

Postby DrFfybes » July 22nd, 2022, 1:18 pm

Wickes are as good as any.

I prefer old fashioned fill and lever empty, with a 2 part syphon so you can easily change the diaphragm.

Not a fan of the 2 button systems, never worked out on our which was alf and full flush and we had it 8 years. The syphon system is also much more prone to leaks as the rubber seal blisters and slowly leaks into the pan.

Alternatively, give these chaps a call...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vKWfW-MIRHc

I sent mine off for repair and it came back as good as a new one.

Hallucigenia
Lemon Quarter

Postby Hallucigenia » July 22nd, 2022, 1:41 pm

FWIW B&Q have 20% off bathroom stuff for the next week.

It's an odd thing but given that the seat is your "interface" it's worth getting right. Big thumbs up for the Bemis seats, I can't remember which one I have - it was like £25 from B&Q but are widely available - and it's great, moulded wood is much warmer than plastic in winter and the Sta-tite fixing seems to do what it promises without developing a wobble (touch wood!).

I *think* two-stage flushes are now a legal requirement, but I must admit I don't see much difference with the 2 buttons on ours. A centre button is slightly more friendly to left-handers but it's marginal.

88V8
Lemon Half

Postby 88V8 » July 22nd, 2022, 3:36 pm

Hallucigenia wrote:I *think* two-stage flushes are now a legal requirement, but I must admit I don't see much difference with the 2 buttons on ours.

I was able to buy a single lever cistern when ours cracked last year.

The siphon has been sabotaged... I blame the EU... so it no longer gives a proper two gallon flush, but it can be unsabotaged by Aralditing a suitable snippet of plastic in the appropriate holes... if you're handy I need say no more.

DrFfybes wrote:I prefer old fashioned fill and lever empty, with a 2 part syphon so you can easily change the diaphragm.

Never knew about them, ta very for the next time.

V8

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » July 22nd, 2022, 4:02 pm

If getting a new loo, I'd look around for something with a better flush than just pouring lots of water through and refilling a Heath-Robinson construction of a tank with a floating ball and arm.

I don't know what the options are these days, but when my uncle and aunt built their house they installed loos with a small but powerful electric-powered flush, and much quicker and more efficient than a regular loo. That was back in (I think) 1971.

88V8
Lemon Half

Postby 88V8 » July 22nd, 2022, 8:15 pm

monabri wrote:Is there no "What Bog" magazine?
apparently so....

https://www.bestproductsreviews.co.uk/t ... hrEALw_wcB

I wonder how they test these things.
Is there an international standard poo held in a glass case somewhere in France?

V8

monabri
Lemon Half

Postby monabri » July 22nd, 2022, 9:25 pm

88V8 wrote:
monabri wrote:Is there no "What Bog" magazine?
apparently so....

https://www.bestproductsreviews.co.uk/t ... hrEALw_wcB

I wonder how they test these things.
Is there an international standard poo held in a glass case somewhere in France?

V8

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bristol_stool_scale

wanderer
2 Lemon pips

Postby wanderer » July 22nd, 2022, 9:31 pm

I bought and fitted one of these two years ago.

https://www.screwfix.com/p/toilet-to-go ... 6ltr/78711

No problems so far and excellent vfm. For 70 pounds you cant go wrong really. The only part of it which was low quality was the toilet seat which was no use at all. So just reused the old seat....

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » July 23rd, 2022, 7:11 am

I really hate the dual-flush cisterns, none of which ever seem to work properly. But perhaps that's because they've been chosen for price, not for quality?

I find that the twin push buttons tend to be wobbly and a bit snaggy in operation, and often they're made of crappy chrome-plated plastic which is probably going to be a real pain to source when it breaks, as it certainly will. I don't know this for sure (I've never done that particular type), but I've read that the flush button is generally bought as part of the valve assembly, which (to judge by https://my-plumber.co.uk/blog/how-to-ch ... let-flush/), entails taking the whole cistern off the wall. Is that right, anyone? Or can you buy good quality buttons on their own?

I've fitted five or six toilets in the last, and they've all had an adequate flushing action. (There's a British standard, which involves 250 grammes of sewage sausage, although I think they prefer to wimp out and use soya instead. :D ). If you want a bigger flush, American toilets have that..

Universal rule, if you're fitting a chain store toilet, is to throw away all the cheapo washers and other fittings and get some proper ones that won't leak or break. At the dripping end of a four hour installation, it's always sad to see a grown man cry. ;)

[Edit: Another fan of the Bemis toilet seats, which are great quality and which come in a bewildering number of models and styles. Ours (a white plastic one) is both comfortable and sturdy, and above all not too mingy and small . (Grrrrr.) Cost the thick end of fifty quid, though.]

BJ

csearle
Lemon Quarter

Postby csearle » July 23rd, 2022, 12:25 pm

scrumpyjack wrote:you could 'splash out' on the automatic smart loo with remote control(!). Only £6,600 (plus fitting)

Oh sorry you said inexpensive. Only get this one if you are feeling really flush with funds :D
Oooh, I've used one of those (in guest mode). My mate near Stuttgart is/was the regional sales bod for Geberit. He had one of these installed in his home. After one's done one's business a little upward-squirting jet of pleasantly warm water aims at the appropriate sphincter and rids it of anything unpleasant. (If you've selected female the squirter continues forwards and does the same thing for the er, other opening.)

Worth every penny spent.

C.

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » July 23rd, 2022, 3:17 pm

csearle wrote:
scrumpyjack wrote:you could 'splash out' on the automatic smart loo with remote control(!). Only £6,600 (plus fitting)

Oooh, I've used one of those (in guest mode). My mate near Stuttgart is/was the regional sales bod for Geberit. He had one of these installed in his home. After one's done one's business a little upward-squirting jet of pleasantly warm water aims at the appropriate sphincter and rids it of anything unpleasant. (If you've selected female the squirter continues forwards and does the same thing for the er, other opening.)

Hmmm. You may have found the germ of a reason to meddle with one's sexuality. :?

Though I confess I'm reminded of Dave Allen on home automation.
Worth every penny spent.

C.

You sit down to spend your pennies?

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » July 23rd, 2022, 5:13 pm

UncleEbenezer wrote:You sit down to spend your pennies?

Tut tut, in Germany it's the rule these days. Try googling for "sitzpinkeln". And don't forget to check out the google images. Talk about extracting the urine :?

BJ

jfgw
Lemon Quarter

Postby jfgw » July 25th, 2022, 8:47 pm

Most of you here will know that I am not a fan of push-button toilets. Even some of the ones with a handle have a modern drop-valve (rather than a proper syphon) inside.

The maximum flush is 6 litres. Most new toilets are 6 litres but I have seen one that uses less.

Where there is a reduced flush, this must be no more than 2/3 times the full flush.

DrFfybes wrote:I prefer old fashioned fill and lever empty, with a 2 part syphon so you can easily change the diaphragm.

I like the Derwent Macdee ones. Note that they come in different heights, https://www.bes.co.uk/macdee-metro-syphon-toilet-flush-9-high-11198/. Others exist such as the Dudley Turbo. The Dudleys and some others are dual flush (hold the handle down for a short flush).

DrFfybes wrote:Not a fan of the 2 button systems, never worked out on our which was alf and full flush and we had it 8 years. The syphon system is also much more prone to leaks as the rubber seal blisters and slowly leaks into the pan.

I have not known one to blister, only get manky and leak. (Maybe your water is softer than mine.) Some of these valves have little plastic bits that can break. Most seem to be made of a type of plastic that deteriorates so that the mechanism does not operate smoothly and it gets stuck (dumping gallons of water via your water meter). The button is usually linked to the valve by a Bowden cable (like a bicycle brake cable) which can rust and break. Fortunately, they are easy to replace if you get the same type (they are usually a bayonet fit).

bungeejumper wrote:I find that the twin push buttons tend to be wobbly and a bit snaggy in operation, and often they're made of crappy chrome-plated plastic which is probably going to be a real pain to source when it breaks, as it certainly will. I don't know this for sure (I've never done that particular type), but I've read that the flush button is generally bought as part of the valve assembly, which (to judge by https://my-plumber.co.uk/blog/how-to-ch ... let-flush/), entails taking the whole cistern off the wall. Is that right, anyone? Or can you buy good quality buttons on their own?

The buttons are usually available separately but they are not interchangeable (don't expect to be able to mix brands) so you cannot upgrade to a better quality of chrome-plated plastic without replacing the whole valve. There are over two-dozen different types of button listed here alone (there are seven Thomas Dudley ones!): https://www.plumbsparesdirect.com/toilet-spares/toilet-cistern-flush-buttons

Julian F. G. W.

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » July 26th, 2022, 6:48 am

jfgw wrote:I like the Derwent Macdee ones. Note that they come in different heights, https://www.bes.co.uk/macdee-metro-syphon-toilet-flush-9-high-11198/. Others exist such as the Dudley Turbo. The Dudleys and some others are dual flush (hold the handle down for a short flush).

The Dudley Turbo Toilet has a certain devil-may-care ring to it, don't you think? As a former aficionado of the Black Country, might I ask if he might perhaps have been related to the celebrated Tipton Slasher? ;)

BJ

Return to “Building and DIY”