Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

New dishwasher leaking

Does what it says on the tin
OLTB
Lemon Quarter

New dishwasher leaking

Postby OLTB » July 23rd, 2022, 8:01 pm

Evening all.

I installed a new Hotpoint dishwasher and it was very simple (just two pipes to connect). I am naturally cautious so haven’t fitted the plinth below the dishwasher until I was happy with everything. I have run two full cycles and it works well but since fitting, there has been a pool of water on the floor that has built throughout the day even though the dishwasher wasn’t on - I have checked the connector pipe from the water pipe to the dishwasher and this is dry. Can water leak from ‘below’ the dishwasher even if it’s not running? Any help would be much appreciated.

Cheers, OLTB.

AsleepInYorkshire
Lemon Half

Re: New dishwasher leaking

Postby AsleepInYorkshire » July 23rd, 2022, 8:10 pm

OLTB wrote:Evening all.

I installed a new Hotpoint dishwasher and it was very simple (just two pipes to connect). I am naturally cautious so haven’t fitted the plinth below the dishwasher until I was happy with everything. I have run two full cycles and it works well but since fitting, there has been a pool of water on the floor that has built throughout the day even though the dishwasher wasn’t on - I have checked the connector pipe from the water pipe to the dishwasher and this is dry. Can water leak from ‘below’ the dishwasher even if it’s not running? Any help would be much appreciated.

Cheers, OLTB.

Dumb response from me but you have got the discharge pipe connected haven't you?

AiY(D)

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » July 23rd, 2022, 8:31 pm

This is where you use those old clothes you should have disposed of six inches of waistline ago.

Wrap them around different bits of pipework - particularly the joins - and see what ends up wet.

OLTB
Lemon Quarter

Postby OLTB » July 23rd, 2022, 8:33 pm

AsleepInYorkshire wrote:
OLTB wrote:Evening all.

Cheers, OLTB.

Dumb response from me but you have got the discharge pipe connected haven't you?

AiY(D)

Thanks AiY and yes, I should have confirmed that the discharge pipe is secure and not leaking.

Cheers, OLTB.

monabri
Lemon Half

Postby monabri » July 23rd, 2022, 8:34 pm

Try googling

"hotpoint dishwasher leaking underneath"

AsleepInYorkshire
Lemon Half

Postby AsleepInYorkshire » July 23rd, 2022, 9:37 pm

We've had this problem but not with a new dishwasher.

On the left hand side behind the blanking panel is a small reservoir and in some models it can easily disconnect. It also happened on my Mum's dishwasher, but again not from new.

The reservoir on some makes is not very secure and if it slips of it's mount it could pull the water tube connected to it off.

Have you checked the connection to the dishwasher - which coincidentally is near the reservoir on some models

AIY(D)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nCDaIcJ9YTs - this video shows the area I'm referring to above

OLTB
Lemon Quarter

Postby OLTB » July 23rd, 2022, 9:45 pm

AsleepInYorkshire wrote:We've had this problem but not with a new dishwasher.

On the left hand side behind the blanking panel is a small reservoir and in some models it can easily disconnect. It also happened on my Mum's dishwasher, but again not from new.

The reservoir on some makes is not very secure and if it slips of it's mount it could pull the water tube connected to it off.

Have you checked the connection to the dishwasher - which coincidentally is near the reservoir on some models

AIY(D)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nCDaIcJ9YTs - this video shows the area I'm referring to above

Thanks AiY - I’ve unscrewed and then reattached the water inlet pipe to the dishwasher just in case it wasn’t attached properly from the factory (remote chance I know but thought I’d try it). I’ve then wrapped rags around all possible joints as suggested by UE to see if any show signs of water leaking.

Cheers, OLTB.

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » July 24th, 2022, 7:10 am

OLTB wrote:Thanks AiY - I’ve unscrewed and then reattached the water inlet pipe to the dishwasher just in case it wasn’t attached properly from the factory (remote chance I know but thought I’d try it). I’ve then wrapped rags around all possible joints as suggested by UE to see if any show signs of water leaking.

Hi OLTB, I hope you've sorted it, but if not, don't mess with it for too long. The last Hotpoint dishwasher I bought went straight back to the supplier, because somebody at the factory hadn't fitted the restraining stays that connect the front loading door to the body of the machine. Or, to be precise, he'd fitted one side back to front, so the door didn't close properly, and the other side not at all. :|

Most/all of Hotpoint's dishwashers are assembled in Turkey these days, and sadly, standards aren't what they used to be. Still, I suppose it's less far away than China to ship them when customers send them back? :)

BJ

OLTB
Lemon Quarter

Postby OLTB » July 24th, 2022, 8:57 am

bungeejumper wrote:
OLTB wrote:Thanks AiY - I’ve unscrewed and then reattached the water inlet pipe to the dishwasher just in case it wasn’t attached properly from the factory (remote chance I know but thought I’d try it). I’ve then wrapped rags around all possible joints as suggested by UE to see if any show signs of water leaking.

Hi OLTB, I hope you've sorted it, but if not, don't mess with it for too long. The last Hotpoint dishwasher I bought went straight back to the supplier, because somebody at the factory hadn't fitted the restraining stays that connect the front loading door to the body of the machine. Or, to be precise, he'd fitted one side back to front, so the door didn't close properly, and the other side not at all. :|

Most/all of Hotpoint's dishwashers are assembled in Turkey these days, and sadly, standards aren't what they used to be. Still, I suppose it's less far away than China to ship them when customers send them back? :)

BJ

Many thanks BJ - that’s really useful to know and I’ll see what happens later today.

Cheers, OLTB.

DrFfybes
Lemon Quarter

Postby DrFfybes » July 24th, 2022, 9:24 am

One thing to look at - in fitting it you will have turned the valve on the supply pipe. As this is the first time it has been turned for about a decade, they can start to weep, which depending on your pipe run and floor level could run down the pipe and drip under the new machine.

Paul

OLTB
Lemon Quarter

Postby OLTB » July 24th, 2022, 10:10 am

DrFfybes wrote:One thing to look at - in fitting it you will have turned the valve on the supply pipe. As this is the first time it has been turned for about a decade, they can start to weep, which depending on your pipe run and floor level could run down the pipe and drip under the new machine.

Paul

Thank you Paul - I have tied a rag around the supply pipe valve and will see if this gets wet as when I turned it ‘off’ the water still dribbled through no matter how much I turned it (I ended up having to turn off the water supply).

Cheers, OLTB.

Return to “Building and DIY”