Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to gpadsa,Steffers0,lansdown,Wasron,jfgw, for Donating to support the site

Stovepipe installed on neighbouring building near our window

Does what it says on the tin
Clariman
Lemon Quarter

Stovepipe installed on neighbouring building near our window

Postby Clariman » March 12th, 2023, 9:07 am

Our neighbours have built an extension to which we had no objections. (Having said that, we didn't realise that the height of the roof would completely remove a view from a side window in an upstairs bedroom. Our mistake. Not a major issue, the side window isn't the main window in the room).

However, they have now installed what I presume is an external stove pipe that is clearly visible from the window. The pipe is approximately 2.5 meters from the window. The opening/cover of the pipe is slightly higher than our window but not by a great deal.

This wasn't shown on the planning request.

My question is, does this conform to regulations for stove pipes and adjacent windows? My main concern is safety and the proximity of the outlet to an openable bedroom window.

As a secondary question, should such an external pipe have been part of the original planning permission?

Thanks
C

AsleepInYorkshire
Lemon Half

Re: Stovepipe installed on neighbouring building near our window

Postby AsleepInYorkshire » March 12th, 2023, 10:24 am

Clariman wrote:Our neighbours have built an extension to which we had no objections. (Having said that, we didn't realise that the height of the roof would completely remove a view from a side window in an upstairs bedroom. Our mistake. Not a major issue, the side window isn't the main window in the room).

However, they have now installed what I presume is an external stove pipe that is clearly visible from the window. The pipe is approximately 2.5 meters from the window. The opening/cover of the pipe is slightly higher than our window but not by a great deal.

This wasn't shown on the planning request.

My question is, does this conform to regulations for stove pipes and adjacent windows? My main concern is safety and the proximity of the outlet to an openable bedroom window.

As a secondary question, should such an external pipe have been part of the original planning permission?

Thanks
C

I think this would fall under permitted development. In other words no planning application required. You can call your local planners and check. However, there will be building regulations which specify the distance between the vent and any windows or structures. I'd have a quick chat with your neighbour and express your concerns and ask them if you can contact their installer to discuss and obtain some reassurance they have installed in line with the manufacturers recommendations and that these meet building regulations.

Maybe there's a Fool with more direct knowledge than me about this kind of installation.

AiY(D)

DrFfybes
Lemon Quarter

Postby DrFfybes » March 12th, 2023, 10:28 am

It probably doesn't need planning, but it certainly needs to meet building regs (or in this case the regs governing installations).

You need to check what sort of flue it is, and whether or not it meets HETAS regulations, and that it has been installed by a HETAS installer.

IIRC they need to discharge a certain distance above ridge height (60cm?) and hanve a minimum lateral clearance as well.

2.5m is not far for the fumes to enter your open window (or for a water jet from an open window to travel ;) )

Paul

ReformedCharacter
Lemon Quarter

Postby ReformedCharacter » March 12th, 2023, 10:38 am

Clariman wrote:However, they have now installed what I presume is an external stove pipe that is clearly visible from the window. The pipe is approximately 2.5 meters from the window. The opening/cover of the pipe is slightly higher than our window but not by a great deal.

Thanks
C

This covers most of the regs:

https://www.buildingregs4plans.co.uk/blog/wood-burning-stoves/

The flue outlet should be positioned high enough above the roof and surrounding buildings to prevent it being affected by wind eddies or down drafts (see diagram below).

If you click on the image below Outlets from flues and chimneys you will see 'Flue Outlet Positions for Solid Fuel Appliances' which probably covers your situation.

RC

BullDog
Lemon Quarter

Postby BullDog » March 12th, 2023, 10:56 am

ReformedCharacter wrote:
Clariman wrote:However, they have now installed what I presume is an external stove pipe that is clearly visible from the window. The pipe is approximately 2.5 meters from the window. The opening/cover of the pipe is slightly higher than our window but not by a great deal.

Thanks
C

This covers most of the regs:

https://www.buildingregs4plans.co.uk/blog/wood-burning-stoves/

The flue outlet should be positioned high enough above the roof and surrounding buildings to prevent it being affected by wind eddies or down drafts (see diagram below).

If you click on the image below Outlets from flues and chimneys you will see 'Flue Outlet Positions for Solid Fuel Appliances' which probably covers your situation.

RC

From that document, it seems it's case D with note 4. Which is 2300mm from an adjacent building, so 2500mm would be compliant.

Tedx
Lemon Quarter

Postby Tedx » March 12th, 2023, 12:01 pm

These things are an abomination when attached to the side of a modern house. It's like one homeowner waving 2 fingers at the rest of his neighbourhood.

Return to “Building and DIY”