Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Wasron,jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly, for Donating to support the site

Asbestos Home Testing Kits

Does what it says on the tin
JessUK98
Lemon Slice

Asbestos Home Testing Kits

Postby JessUK98 » April 23rd, 2023, 10:53 am

We've had our roof replaced about a year ago. I've been up into the attic recently and the roofer has left a load of mess - previously it was slate and some kind of mortar (back pointed I think it's called?). There is loads of crumbled bits of mortar all over the insulation. There are fibres in this mortar, which I'm hoping is just some kind of horse hair (it's an old house), as I don't think you can see actual asbestos with the naked eye?

Anyway I'm paranoid now that the mortar could contain asbestos and we are living in a health hazard as it has all been disturbed.

Has anyone used the asbestos home kits and recommend any business in particular?

TIA,

Jess

88V8
Lemon Half

Re: Asbestos Home Testing Kits

Postby 88V8 » April 23rd, 2023, 11:55 am

JessUK98 wrote:...some kind of mortar (back pointed I think it's called?). There is loads of crumbled bits of mortar all over the insulation. There are fibres in this mortar, which I'm hoping is just some kind of horse hair (it's an old house), as I don't think you can see actual asbestos with the naked eye?

Old lime mortar does not contain asbestos.
It will have been hair or perhaps chopped straw.

And in any case, asbestos is only dangerous if it is airborne and you breathe it in.
I insulated the fuel pipe on my Rambler with asbestos string last month, at no risk to myself.
Trapped in a matrix such as asbestos cement roofing or Artex, it is not hazardous at all, but an industry of fusspottery has grown up around its removal.

V8

servodude
Lemon Half

Postby servodude » April 23rd, 2023, 12:18 pm

88V8 wrote:
JessUK98 wrote:...some kind of mortar (back pointed I think it's called?). There is loads of crumbled bits of mortar all over the insulation. There are fibres in this mortar, which I'm hoping is just some kind of horse hair (it's an old house), as I don't think you can see actual asbestos with the naked eye?

Old lime mortar does not contain asbestos.
It will have been hair or perhaps chopped straw.

And in any case, asbestos is only dangerous if it is airborne and you breathe it in.
I insulated the fuel pipe on my Rambler with asbestos string last month, at no risk to myself.
Trapped in a matrix such as asbestos cement roofing or Artex, it is not hazardous at all, but an industry of fusspottery has grown up around its removal.

V8

And even if the roofer did disturb some it will have settled, so as not to be an issue, shortly after.

If/when you think you need to work in the area get someone in to check it; rather than rely on a home test that could go wrong in either direction.

JessUK98
Lemon Slice

Postby JessUK98 » April 23rd, 2023, 1:31 pm

Thanks, we have an air vent from bathroom into the attic (and a vent in roof where said bathroom is) - would any breeze from this not disturb it?

I guess the attic is out of bounds for storing stuff now, not that there's anything up there apart from empty boxes.

csearle
Lemon Quarter

Postby csearle » April 23rd, 2023, 1:42 pm

An acquaintance of mine died a couple of months ago. The autopsy showed he had asbestosis. He died of respiratory failure. Insurance now involved apparently. I wouldn't be so dismissive of the dangers of asbestos as some. It is easy to disturb. I've come across it over and over again (usually in whole or broken form) - hoping for the best. C.

JessUK98
Lemon Slice

Postby JessUK98 » April 23rd, 2023, 2:04 pm

csearle wrote:An acquaintance of mine died a couple of months ago. The autopsy showed he had asbestosis. He died of respiratory failure. Insurance now involved apparently. I wouldn't be so dismissive of the dangers of asbestos as some. It is easy to disturb. I've come across it over and over again (usually in whole or broken form) - hoping for the best. C.

Yeah, I'm leaning towards being too cautious. My dad and 2 of his brothers were roofers and they all died of lung cancer. Nothing was said of asbestosis, but it wouldn't surprise me if it was a contributory factor.

quelquod
Lemon Quarter

Postby quelquod » April 23rd, 2023, 3:59 pm

csearle wrote:An acquaintance of mine died a couple of months ago. The autopsy showed he had asbestosis. He died of respiratory failure. Insurance now involved apparently. I wouldn't be so dismissive of the dangers of asbestos as some. It is easy to disturb. I've come across it over and over again (usually in whole or broken form) - hoping for the best. C.

^^^ Bang on! 2 friends of mine, both electricians - one an employee, died too young from mesothelioma/asbestosis as did my back door neighbour who was a plumber. I believe there’s a raised risk of mesothelioma/asbestosis amongst workmen who do much work such as rewiring, replumbing and the like in older properties. Masks are only a partial solution, it’s all too inviting to do without a mask in a hot dusty environment, and it can hit you years later without knowing what in particular caused it.

Dicky99
Lemon Slice

Postby Dicky99 » April 23rd, 2023, 5:23 pm

JessUK98 wrote:We've had our roof replaced about a year ago. I've been up into the attic recently and the roofer has left a load of mess - previously it was slate and some kind of mortar (back pointed I think it's called?). There is loads of crumbled bits of mortar all over the insulation. There are fibres in this mortar, which I'm hoping is just some kind of horse hair (it's an old house), as I don't think you can see actual asbestos with the naked eye?

Anyway I'm paranoid now that the mortar could contain asbestos and we are living in a health hazard as it has all been disturbed.

Has anyone used the asbestos home kits and recommend any business in particular?

TIA,

Jess

Asbestos is not to be taken lightly and when you think you know all the common applications it can crop up in the most unexpected places so if in doubt you'll feel better for getting it tested.
Any asbestos awareness tutor would blanche at the suggestion that after it's been disturbed it will settle again and won't be a problem. Once disturbed it is a hazard until professionally cleaned. Many teachers died decades after old schools were cleansed of asbestos but
which were not cleaned properly and so the minute fibres are continually being disturbed and drifting in the atmosphere. Today any space where some asbestos has been disturbed requires a clearance certificate before it can be reoccupied because even limited exposure can result in mesothelioma down the line.
It is possible to see asbestos fibres but with some difficulty. They are exceptionally fine and wouldnt be mistaken for something clearly visible like horse hair.
For peace of mind you may wish to contact a local testing lab and ask them if you may send a sample by post. I've done this in the past, albeit some time ago. The samples would be sent in a zip lock bag inside a stout envelope labelled "caution samples enclosed" and that inside another addressed envelope.

CliffEdge
Lemon Quarter

Postby CliffEdge » April 23rd, 2023, 6:12 pm

It is not too expensive to get someone to come and test it. I wouldn't trust a DIY kit

Imbiber
Lemon Slice

Postby Imbiber » April 23rd, 2023, 7:44 pm

I used these guys a few years ago.

https://www.asbestos-sampling.com/

I started an apprenticeship as a pipe fitter/welder in 1967. We fitted the pipes, heating and gas etc. After we fitted the pipes the laggers would insulate them with asbestos. Take a 40 gallon drum, half fill it with water, add bags of asbestos fibre and mix. It was impossible to see across the plant room when they were working. I left after a few years, those winters on building sites were cold in the sixtes and seventies.

Return to “Building and DIY”