Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to gpadsa,Steffers0,lansdown,Wasron,jfgw, for Donating to support the site

If it won't catch fire, drown it

Does what it says on the tin
bungeejumper
Lemon Half

If it won't catch fire, drown it

Postby bungeejumper » May 24th, 2023, 2:43 pm

Home hints for the handyman, accidental genius edition. We have an accumulating drawerful of those little refillable butane gas wand lighters that people use these days instead of matches. For barbecues and bonfires and camping and suchlike.

Trouble is, they always seem to go on the blink before they have a chance to get old. I figured out a long time ago that the problem was caused by soot blocking the nozzles, but neither a pin nor a can of pressurised air seemed to be able to clear them. That was, until I had a bit of a brain fart and put my faltering gas lighter into the dishwasher along with the knives and forks. (Yeah, well, it had been a very good evening. ;) )

It was gratifyingly clean when it emerged from its bath, but there was so much water inside it that I almost threw it away. But a few hours in the unseasonably bright sun, and wow, it was as good as new. I now have six or seven gas wands, all fully restored. Which is five or six more than I really need. :P Anybody need a light?

BJ

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Re: If it won't catch fire, drown it

Postby UncleEbenezer » May 24th, 2023, 3:14 pm

Although it's been quite a few years since I had a hob that needed it, I think I still have a piezoelectric lighter. Great for gas (though a little bigger than is ideal for camping), though I'd hesitate to try it on heavier fuels.

DrFfybes
Lemon Quarter

Re: If it won't catch fire, drown it

Postby DrFfybes » May 24th, 2023, 3:43 pm

bungeejumper wrote: Anybody need a light?

BJ

No thanks, we're still getting through MrsF's parent's Cooks Matches. You know, the ones with a wipe clean box and an advert for a free "Continental Classics" recipe collection - "application closes 31.9.1994"

Paul

Return to “Building and DIY”