Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to lansdown,Wasron,jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08, for Donating to support the site

Fence Paint

Does what it says on the tin
kempiejon
Lemon Quarter

Re: Fence Paint

Postby kempiejon » June 3rd, 2023, 2:49 pm

For paint I learnt many years ago that DIY sheds and the domestic products aren't really that good, poor opacity needing several coats and less hard wearing. I prefer trade outlets and buy trade paint - usually Dulux. It is much more expensive but to my mind worth it. I'd not be surprised if the same wasn't true of fence paint perhaps https://www.brewers.co.uk/products/prom ... ategory=16

In lockdown I bought a shed 2nd hand, it looked in good nick but I took the time to treat all the sections with Sikaguard wood treatment to stop insect infestation, fungus and rot etc. I then used a fence stain to make the colour pretty. I know a guy who worked for Ronseal, he suggested using wood treatment and use fencelife or whatever just for colour. His suggestion for long lasted fences was to buy pressure treated panels keep them off the ground with gravel boards and use concrete fence posts.

EviesDad

Postby EviesDad » June 3rd, 2023, 3:20 pm

Just finished our annual fence paint. Have previously used Cuprinol Ducksback (Forest Green) but as others have said it doesn't last and needs redoing each year. This year I have switched to Johnstones Fence Paint which I got from Argos, (3for2) so 27 litres cost just £24 which is about half the price of the Cuprinol stuff and should be enough to do the fence 3 times. The Johnstones is a bit thicker than the Cuprinol but went on better and I used about 8.1/2 litres this year whereas it took 10 litres of Cuprinol to do the same last year and even then I ran out halfway through the last panel. Time will tell but I'm not expecting the Johnstones to last any longer than the Cuprinol Ducksback but at least my wallets happier.

BullDog
Lemon Quarter

Postby BullDog » June 3rd, 2023, 3:50 pm

kempiejon wrote:For paint I learnt many years ago that DIY sheds and the domestic products aren't really that good, poor opacity needing several coats and less hard wearing. I prefer trade outlets and buy trade paint - usually Dulux. It is much more expensive but to my mind worth it. I'd not be surprised if the same wasn't true of fence paint perhaps https://www.brewers.co.uk/products/prom ... ategory=16

In lockdown I bought a shed 2nd hand, it looked in good nick but I took the time to treat all the sections with Sikaguard wood treatment to stop insect infestation, fungus and rot etc. I then used a fence stain to make the colour pretty. I know a guy who worked for Ronseal, he suggested using wood treatment and use fencelife or whatever just for colour. His suggestion for long lasted fences was to buy pressure treated panels keep them off the ground with gravel boards and use concrete fence posts.

Yes, tantalised wood isn't going to rot as long as it's not constantly wet. That's the way our fencing supplier did ours with concrete posts. The panels age nicely and it's sun light that seems to be aging the panels rather than rot. Eventually the panels will need replacing but I'm guessing a life of maybe 15 years or a bit more for the panels and several decades for the posts.

Tedx
Lemon Quarter

Postby Tedx » June 5th, 2023, 11:42 am

Tedx wrote:Painting the fence as we speak. It'll look good for a couple of years at least.

Ronseal one coat fence life. Liars!

Right. Best crack on!

https://www.diy.com/departments/ronseal ... lsrc=aw.ds

This is the 4th coat since the fence was rebuilt after Arwen (everything apart from the posts was re-used). The fence was originally red cedar (or something like that) and I suspect the first 2 coats didn't work very well because it was too cold when I applied it (Ronseal say 10 degrees or more is needed for the paint to cure properly).

bruncher
Lemon Quarter

Postby bruncher » September 30th, 2023, 12:37 pm

Tedx wrote:
Tedx wrote:Painting the fence as we speak. It'll look good for a couple of years at least.

Ronseal one coat fence life. Liars!

Right. Best crack on!

https://www.diy.com/departments/ronseal ... lsrc=aw.ds

This is the 4th coat since the fence was rebuilt after Arwen (everything apart from the posts was re-used). The fence was originally red cedar (or something like that) and I suspect the first 2 coats didn't work very well because it was too cold when I applied it (Ronseal say 10 degrees or more is needed for the paint to cure properly).

Does anyone know if Ronseal One Coat Fence Life has a shelf-life? We have a big tub of it (stored in shed for a few years) with 2/3 still there but it has separated and seems very thin. I've stirred it and the colour has come back, but .... maybe should throw away. On the other hand the (neighbour's) fence is in such poor condition that if it looks bad nothing is lost except my labour.

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » September 30th, 2023, 1:14 pm

I remember reading somewhere that any paint has a fairly limited shelf life but if I were you I would give your paint a good stir and apply some to see how it dries.

Dod

kiloran
Lemon Quarter

Postby kiloran » September 30th, 2023, 1:23 pm

bruncher wrote:Does anyone know if Ronseal One Coat Fence Life has a shelf-life? We have a big tub of it (stored in shed for a few years) with 2/3 still there but it has separated and seems very thin. I've stirred it and the colour has come back, but .... maybe should throw away. On the other hand the (neighbour's) fence is in such poor condition that if it looks bad nothing is lost except my labour.

I've had Ronseal separate out like that. It needed a hell of a lot of stirring to get it back to a normal consistency but it then seemed fine and the coverage seemed to be normal.

--kiloran

Return to “Building and DIY”