Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Wasron,jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly, for Donating to support the site

Replace Eurolock on ‘Double Turn’ Door Lock

Does what it says on the tin
quelquod
Lemon Quarter

Replace Eurolock on ‘Double Turn’ Door Lock

Postby quelquod » June 14th, 2023, 8:53 pm

My sister has asked me to replace her front door lock due to a key going missing. It’s a 40-year-old Everest metal-framed door whose lock can be turned twice for extra security. Can I assume that the cylinder is standard and it’s the multipoint mechanism which has the double-turn facility? (Only Eurolock one I’ve ever seen).

Urbandreamer
Lemon Quarter

Re: Replace Eurolock on ‘Double Turn’ Door Lock

Postby Urbandreamer » June 14th, 2023, 9:36 pm

There was a earlier thread about Eurolock doors. However your big problem is the lost key.

With a key it's really easy to change the lock. Without one.. well you might have to pick the lock to change it. Though there is an alternative, as mentioned in that thread.

If it's a really cheap one you can destroy the lock, at which point you can use a screwdriver to operate it. Meaning that you can remove it broken bits.

How interested are you in doing it yourself? Without a key it's likely to be cheaper to pay a locksmith.

After all, you would have to pay a significant amount for the tools.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Eventronic-17- ... 9hdGY&th=1
Then put the effort in.

Of course you could just try assuming that you don't need a key, but I think they are designed so that won't work.
viewtopic.php?p=593153#p593153

Redmires
Lemon Slice

Postby Redmires » June 14th, 2023, 10:43 pm

Make sure the lock is replaced with a decent one such as Avocet etc that is anti bump and anti snap. The cheaper brands are so vulnerable to break-ins.

Urbandreamer
Lemon Quarter

Postby Urbandreamer » June 14th, 2023, 11:05 pm

Redmires wrote:Make sure the lock is replaced with a decent one such as Avocet etc that is anti bump and anti snap. The cheaper brands are so vulnerable to break-ins.

It is worth pointing out that all locks have their faults. This lock has the fault is that it requires that the construction materials are expensive. Cheap materials would be less of a problem with a cylinder or leaver lock.

I'd also point out the confusion between "lock" and bar/bolt. The OP is talking a double throw bolt. The lock is the bit that needs a key. Modern doors using the same lock, have the bolts or bars thrown by the door handle and the lock prevents the handle operating them. The same has always been true of safes.

Other than that, yes buy a good lock. Price it in coffees or pints of beer and the most expensive is really quite cheap, for what you want it to do.

quelquod
Lemon Quarter

Postby quelquod » June 15th, 2023, 3:59 pm

Urbandreamer wrote:There was a earlier thread about Eurolock doors. However your big problem is the lost key.

With a key it's really easy to change the lock. Without one.. well you might have to pick the lock to change it. Though there is an alternative, as mentioned in that thread.

…….

A key is available, she’s concerned that she’s lost the key ring she normally carries, but we’re keyholders for each other.

The question was just whether a ‘standard’ Eurolock cylinder would do the job or whether it might be somehow different. They’re a 5 minute job to remove so I suppose I can just take it out and have a look first.

Thanks all

[edit]
I hate the Avocet ones - I fitted them to our doors and I’ve lost count of the number of times the strong magnet in the key has dragged something else with it out of a pocket or handbag and surreptitiously dropped it into the garden on the way to the door. [/edit]

jaizan
Lemon Slice

Postby jaizan » July 29th, 2023, 9:15 am

quelquod wrote:
Urbandreamer wrote:The question was just whether a ‘standard’ Eurolock cylinder would do the job or whether it might be somehow different. They’re a 5 minute job to remove so I suppose I can just take it out and have a look first.

The profiles of Eurocylinders are all the same, so no problem there.

Where they are non-standard is the length. To do it properly measure the length from the central retaining screw to each end.
Then order one the same.
Or if it sticks out by more than 5mm on any side, consider buying one 5mm shorter.

I would also buy a good quality one, with anti "bumping" and snapping features.

Return to “Building and DIY”