Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Steffers0,lansdown,Wasron,jfgw,Rhyd6, for Donating to support the site

Oil Fired Boiler

Does what it says on the tin
Dod101
The full Lemon

Oil Fired Boiler

Postby Dod101 » June 22nd, 2023, 12:59 pm

I have an oil fired boiler, plain and simple. It just heats water which is then distributed to the hot water system and to the central heating pipes. It is a Worcester Danesmoor 26/32 which means absolutely nothing to me. I have had it serviced annually since I moved into this house 16 years ago and (touch wood) it has never had a problem. The surrounding components have, stuff like valves and pumps but not the boiler.

Yesterday was my annual service and a guy from the same firm that I have used for most of that time but who I have not seem before turned up. When he was about to leave he showed me a label he had placed on the top of the boiler marked WARNING in red letters. He said that I should get these matters attended to asap. They are

No flu support brackets
No oil isolation valve working
Incorrect Fitting Used on oil pipe

Don't remember what he meant by the last comment but even he agreed that no brackets on the flu was a bit daft since it is a straight up flu and even pushing it it remains firmly in place. I can see the point of a working isolation valve and will get that seen to but my oil tank is about half full meaning that it currently holds around 1000 litres of kerosene. He said to run it down and he will come and fix that

My real question though is that, considering he cannot point me to any legislation in Scotland these items, if not just cosmetic, do not seem to be that vital and it turns out that they are requirements of an outfit called OFTEC, the Oil Firing Technical Association. Who are they that they can ask for stuff beyond any legal requirement and stick labels on my property without any back up it would seem. Can anyone help?

Dod

scrumpyjack
Lemon Quarter

Re: Oil Fired Boiler

Postby scrumpyjack » June 22nd, 2023, 1:20 pm

OFTEC seems to be just a Trade Association (originating in BP & Shell) setting various standards and training and accrediting people. It does not have any statutory basis.

https://www.oftec.org/about/our-history

One useful thing it seems to be doing is lobbying UK and Irish governments for the inclusion of HVO (a low carbon alternative to heating oil or kerosene) that would offer householders a much cheaper and convenient way to reduce CO2 emissions from home heating. This would support government net zero targets, potentially at a much faster deployment rate than conversion to heat pumps.

BTW our boiler is a large Grant Vortex, about 10 years old and, per our reliable engineer, fully up to current standards of efficiency etc.
We have always had an isolation valve on our oil tank.

BullDog
Lemon Quarter

Postby BullDog » June 22nd, 2023, 1:33 pm

I think in Dod's shoes since this seems a departure by a company used for many years, I'd phone the boss and ask him straight what's it all about. Why was the installation OK each year for so long but now warrants red text signs being applied? Could simply be one bloke who's maybe a new employee and being a little bit too enthusiastic.

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » June 22nd, 2023, 1:45 pm

BullDog wrote:I think in Dod's shoes since this seems a departure by a company used for many years, I'd phone the boss and ask him straight what's it all about. Why was the installation OK each year for so long but now warrants red text signs being applied? Could simply be one bloke who's maybe a new employee and being a little bit too enthusiastic.

That is very much what I think has happened and I may do just that.

Thanks also to scrumpyjack. I know that I need to get an isolation valve working on the oil tank. I think that is just a sensible maintenance point but I do object to red warning labels from a trade association!

Dod

Return to “Building and DIY”