Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Wasron,jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly, for Donating to support the site

Sticking microswitch

Does what it says on the tin
MyNameIsUrl
Lemon Slice

Sticking microswitch

Postby MyNameIsUrl » October 30th, 2023, 2:13 pm

I have a power shower which has the 12v pump built into the mixer unit within the shower enclosure. It's not used very often but recently the motor continues running after it's switched off.

With the cover off I can see two microswitches (for 'normal' and 'boost') and one of the little levers appears to stay down intermittently. I'm not sure if the return spring - to push the lever back up when switched off - is part of the lever or part of the switch bit that goes in and out. Before I blast it all with WD40 I though it wise to ask if anyone has a better suggestion. Contact cleaner? Silicone lubricant?

tacpot12
2 Lemon pips

Re: Sticking microswitch

Postby tacpot12 » October 30th, 2023, 2:55 pm

A regular microswitch has the spring as part of the electical switch, and it can't be serviced or repaired as the microswitch is a sealed unit. If you can get the microswitch out, you will be able to find a replacement for it with a bit of searching.

EviesDad

Postby EviesDad » October 30th, 2023, 4:33 pm

I had this problem with our Aqualisa Aquastream power shower. On examination I could see that the thermostatic cartridge in the main control had started to leak & drip onto the microswitch which is located directly under the cartridge (poor design). Ended up replacing the thermostatic cartridge (£100) and new loom with microswitch (£40) but they were straight forward to fit myself.

We are are in a hard water area so I reckon think this will be an ongoing problem every 5yrs or so. Not impressed for what was an expensive shower, the previous cheapo Showerforce 2000 lasted 20yrs before it started playing up. but sadly no spares were available by then.

servodude
Lemon Half

Postby servodude » October 31st, 2023, 12:01 am

MyNameIsUrl wrote:I have a power shower which has the 12v pump built into the mixer unit within the shower enclosure. It's not used very often but recently the motor continues running after it's switched off.

With the cover off I can see two microswitches (for 'normal' and 'boost') and one of the little levers appears to stay down intermittently. I'm not sure if the return spring - to push the lever back up when switched off - is part of the lever or part of the switch bit that goes in and out. Before I blast it all with WD40 I though it wise to ask if anyone has a better suggestion. Contact cleaner? Silicone lubricant?

My go to for this stuff is Deoxit D5 (but any contact clear will probably help - espeicially if it has lube)

WD40 tends to gunk things in the long term and Silicone is a bit too much on an insulator for my liking where switches are concerned

jfgw
Lemon Quarter

Postby jfgw » October 31st, 2023, 1:42 am

WD40 dries to leave a sticky residue. Silicone should not be used near switches or commutators as any arcing decomposes it (even the vapours) to form silicon carbide - both an insulator and an abrasive.

Most likely, the only fix is to replace the switch.

Julian F. G. W.

pochisoldi
Lemon Slice

Postby pochisoldi » November 1st, 2023, 7:58 am

Your average microswitch is a rivetted or welded closed unit.
If a microswitch does not click or no longer has a snap option, then it's a mechanical issue. Buy a new one, or buy the replaceable unit containing a new one.

jaizan
Lemon Slice

Postby jaizan » November 6th, 2023, 9:55 am

A replacement switch will probably cost £2~3. A small price to pay for fixing something.

Mike4
Lemon Half

Postby Mike4 » November 6th, 2023, 10:10 am

jaizan wrote:A replacement switch will probably cost £2~3. A small price to pay for fixing something.

Identifying the exact switch is the hard part.

I'm guessing this shower is a Mira "Event" power shower. If correct, Mira will probably want to supply a complete on/off/speed control valve and switch assembly. But for a lot more than £2-3!

MyNameIsUrl
Lemon Slice

Postby MyNameIsUrl » November 6th, 2023, 5:48 pm

Mike4 wrote:
jaizan wrote:A replacement switch will probably cost £2~3. A small price to pay for fixing something.

Identifying the exact switch is the hard part.

I'm guessing this shower is a Mira "Event" power shower. If correct, Mira will probably want to supply a complete on/off/speed control valve and switch assembly. But for a lot more than £2-3!

It's actually an Aqualisa power shower. The microswitch is a sort of double siamese type of thing (as there is a boost setting on the pump) which makes it harder to identify a replacement microswitch. Aqualisa supply a new 'loom' which has the two switches in a plastic mount for around £65. Thanks to jaizan's estimate I now have a better idea of just how much the Aqualisa mark-up is!

Return to “Building and DIY”