Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Wasron,jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly, for Donating to support the site

Replacing thermostat on the wall?

Does what it says on the tin
stevensfo
Lemon Quarter

Replacing thermostat on the wall?

Postby stevensfo » October 30th, 2023, 8:20 pm

Our thermostat has been here ever since we moved in, 21 years ago. It's a 'Perry' and probably very old, since I can't find any info about it.

It works, but we never worked out what all the buttons do. It seems overly complicated for just switching on a gas boiler and setting the temperature.

The programming features are a mystery. There were already some programs there, so I just use those and cross my fingers.

It has only two wires going into the wall.

So the question is, can I buy a more modern, easily programmable thermostat and connect it myself?

Two wires?

I'm not Tom Cruise, but surely I can do it without a whole camera crew filming me?

Steve

BullDog
Lemon Quarter

Re: Replacing thermostat on the wall?

Postby BullDog » October 30th, 2023, 8:24 pm

Yes you can. We have a modern Honeywell device that replaced an old Drayton room thermostat. Read the technical and installation blurb on a device you like and see if it's compatible.

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Postby Itsallaguess » October 30th, 2023, 8:28 pm

stevensfo wrote:
Our thermostat has been here ever since we moved in, 21 years ago. It's a 'Perry' and probably very old, since I can't find any info about it.

It works, but we never worked out what all the buttons do.

Is there any other model information on it anywhere?

We might be able to help find some instructions for it, so you can perhaps use what you've already got in a better way if we can identify it, so even if there's no other model information, perhaps just a picture of it might help?

stevensfo wrote:

Is that definitely 'two wires', or do you perhaps mean 'two cables', which might individually contain a number of wires?

To answer your question regarding installing a possible alternative, then the answer is likely to be 'Yes', but getting some clearer information regarding the above points are going to help give a more definitive answer...

Finding out the specific type of Perry thermostat is likely to help answer all of the above queries, so a model number or a picture of it will help quite a lot with that.

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

stevensfo
Lemon Quarter

Postby stevensfo » October 30th, 2023, 8:38 pm

Itsallaguess wrote:
stevensfo wrote:

It works, but we never worked out what all the buttons do.

Is there any other model information on it anywhere?

We might be able to help find some instructions for it, so you can perhaps use what you've already got in a better way if we can identify it, so even if there's no other model information, perhaps just a picture of it might help?

stevensfo wrote:

Is that definitely 'two wires', or do you perhaps mean 'two cables', which might individually contain a number of wires?

To answer your question regarding installing a possible alternative, then the answer is likely to be 'Yes', but getting some clearer information regarding the above points are going to help give a more definitive answer...

Finding out the specific type of Perry thermostat is likely to help answer all of the above queries, so a model number or a picture of it will help quite a lot with that.

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

Er, sorry, but what's the easiest way to post a picture?

Steve

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Postby Itsallaguess » October 30th, 2023, 8:41 pm

stevensfo wrote:
what's the easiest way to post a picture?

Hopefully these instructions might help -

Posting images, or links to images, via the Imgur hosting site -

https://www.lemonfool.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=11255

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » October 30th, 2023, 8:50 pm

Avoid thermostats that try and be too clever and do too much. My wife chose a Nest and I hate it, not least because it tries to out-guess me on what I want. Perhaps the future with AI?

So the simpler the better. An on/off override switch. Plus the ability to set different temperatures at different times e.g. :

Days: 20 C
Nights: 15 C
Away: 10 C

How hard can that be?

Mike4
Lemon Half

Postby Mike4 » October 30th, 2023, 8:55 pm

stevensfo wrote:It has only two wires going into the wall.

Yes definitely. The 'two wire' type are often described as having "Volt free" terminals. Took me a while to realise they just mean it is a plain ordinary switch.
So the question is, can I buy a more modern, easily programmable thermostat and connect it myself?

Yes and no respectively. Yes to 'modern', no to 'easily programmable'. I've yet to encounter one that can be programmed just by looking at it and it being obvious how, i.e. without poring over the manual for an hour first.

Mike4
Lemon Half

Postby Mike4 » October 30th, 2023, 8:57 pm

P.S. Anything 'two wire' and programmable is going to have to have batteries. Just sayin' in case that makes a difference!

stevensfo
Lemon Quarter

Postby stevensfo » October 30th, 2023, 10:38 pm

Mike4 wrote:P.S. Anything 'two wire' and programmable is going to have to have batteries. Just sayin' in case that makes a difference!

Hi Mike, yes, the ones I see on Amazon, like our present thermostat, need batteries, and they are very easy to program. Years ago we rented a house with an easy thermostat and no, we didn't need a manual. Very intuitive. This bleedin' Perry is a real pain!

Steve

swill453
Lemon Half

Postby swill453 » October 31st, 2023, 4:52 am

Lootman wrote:Avoid thermostats that try and be too clever and do too much. My wife chose a Nest and I hate it, not least because it tries to out-guess me on what I want. Perhaps the future with AI?

So the simpler the better. An on/off override switch. Plus the ability to set different temperatures at different times e.g. :

Days: 20 C
Nights: 15 C
Away: 10 C

How hard can that be?

We moved into a house that already had a Nest. I too didn't like the "learning" and "smart" aspects of it, as our schedule is so varied and unpredictable.

However it's easy to switch them all off, and we use it exactly as above, with a fixed schedule plus manual override.

I do appreciate the remote control aspect of it, being able to switch the heating on half an hour before we get home, for example.

Scott.

Gerry557
Lemon Quarter

Postby Gerry557 » October 31st, 2023, 6:55 am

I don't know the Perry but it sounds like a switch that can have some settings applied.

Lots of thermostats are a bit easier to understand these days but have limited options. Such as only three on off periods and a sat sun setting.

I changed to a tado thermostat. This was coupled with smart trv's and offers endless options. You can have hundreds of on offs or set individual days.

You also have very easy manual adjustment via an app on the phone. I can also try to be clever by comparing the weather too or turning on or off automatically if you want.

It's not the cheapest option but I can't think of more flexible or user friendly.

Crazbe7
2 Lemon pips

Postby Crazbe7 » October 31st, 2023, 8:28 am

Look at some of these. They may be similar.

In a previous house I had an unintelligible thermostat with no manual for underfloor heating. Couldn't find the manual for the exact model, but was able to find something similar to work with.

https://manuall.co.uk/home-decoration/t ... ermostats/

Crazbe7

BullDog
Lemon Quarter

Postby BullDog » October 31st, 2023, 8:56 am

Worth a look on YouTube. Often you can find a video on there of someone explaining how something works. Can be quite useful.

staffordian
Lemon Quarter

Postby staffordian » October 31st, 2023, 10:20 am

I replaced an old 'wheel type' thermostat about seven years ago with one of these...

https://www.ecowizard.co.uk/boiler-ther ... dJEALw_wcB

It was straightforward to instal and has proved faultless in use. The original stat was three wire but the salus is two, and needs 2x AA batteries, but we are only on our second set in seven years so what was a slight worry when we got it has proved to not be an issue.

It can appear complex to program but the instructions are clear. We did it once and basically only used two of the several timing periods; we set it to 20.5C at 0630 and to 16C at 2130. Ad hoc modifications are quite easy, such as turning it off for up to 9 hours if going out (simply set a 'boost' temp of 16C for the required number of hours) and it has the usual holiday modes and frost protection settings.

I thought this model was obsolete but the link above appears to show it as still available.

NB I can't vouch for this seller, it just happened to be the first link I saw when googling Salus RT510

Mike4
Lemon Half

Postby Mike4 » November 3rd, 2023, 7:26 pm

And just when you thought you'd finally figured it all out, may I introduce "OpenTherm"?

The world of room thermostats is getting ridiculously complex these days. In addition to programmable room stats we now also have OpenTherm. OpenTherm is a digital protocol for heating controls that (amongst other things) allows the room stat to not only turn the boiler on and off, but modulate it up and down too provided the boiler is 'OpenTherm compliant'. So as the room/house warms up the boiler gets turned down progressively lower rather than plain 'off'. More here: https://www.theheatinghub.co.uk/openthe ... lity-guide

And then there are Alexa compatible room stats, so you don't even need get off your butt to turn the heating up or down, you just say "Alexa, set the room temperature to 22c please"...

BullDog
Lemon Quarter

Postby BullDog » November 3rd, 2023, 8:21 pm

Mike4 wrote:And just when you thought you'd finally figured it all out, may I introduce "OpenTherm"?

The world of room thermostats is getting ridiculously complex these days. In addition to programmable room stats we now also have OpenTherm. OpenTherm is a digital protocol for heating controls that (amongst other things) allows the room stat to not only turn the boiler on and off, but modulate it up and down too provided the boiler is 'OpenTherm compliant'. So as the room/house warms up the boiler gets turned down progressively lower rather than plain 'off'. More here: https://www.theheatinghub.co.uk/openthe ... lity-guide

And then there are Alexa compatible room stats, so you don't even need get off your butt to turn the heating up or down, you just say "Alexa, set the room temperature to 22c please"...

As far as I can see, OP doesn't say whether they have a modern boiler or not. The timescale is 21 years living there in the OP. Unless they have a quite modern boiler, they can't use an Opentherm controller. As far as I know.

For example, my 10 and a bit years old Vaillant heat only condensing boiler isn't Opentherm compatible.

Mike4
Lemon Half

Postby Mike4 » November 4th, 2023, 5:27 am

BullDog wrote:
Mike4 wrote:And just when you thought you'd finally figured it all out, may I introduce "OpenTherm"?

As far as I can see, OP doesn't say whether they have a modern boiler or not. The timescale is 21 years living there in the OP. Unless they have a quite modern boiler, they can't use an Opentherm controller. As far as I know.

For example, my 10 and a bit years old Vaillant heat only condensing boiler isn't Opentherm compatible.

Correct. Vaillant (IIRC) designed their own proprietary digital protocol to compete with OpenTherm so Vaillant boilers are never compatible.

Then to further complicate matters with any new boiler, we now have the "Boiler Plus" regulations too. Forgot to mention them earlier. A snippet for your delectation:

"When a gas combination boiler is installed, an additional energy efficiency measure will be required.
This requirement is flexible to allow a suitable choice to be made that reflects the diverse nature of
the housing stock, and the needs of the household. The energy saving technologies that can be used
to comply are
• Flue gas heat recovery systems
• Weather Compensation
• Load Compensation
• Smart controls featuring automation and optimisation functions
"

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.u ... eet_v3.pdf

So a plain ordinary room stat rarely complies. Few heating engineers properly understand these "Boiler Plus" regs and there is no enforcement so they are broadly ignored when new boilers are fitted.

DrFfybes
Lemon Quarter

Postby DrFfybes » November 4th, 2023, 9:31 am

Mike4 wrote:And then there are Alexa compatible room stats, so you don't even need get off your butt to turn the heating up or down, you just say "Alexa, set the room temperature to 22c please"...

Closely followed by "Alexa, don't you bloody dare".

Paul

Return to “Building and DIY”