Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Wasron,jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly, for Donating to support the site

Push button toilet flush

Does what it says on the tin
MrFoolish
Lemon Quarter

Push button toilet flush

Postby MrFoolish » February 5th, 2024, 1:37 pm

I have a push button toilet flush which sometimes leaks into the bowl. I'm pretty sure it's the flush at fault rather than the float cut-off.

I can remove the flush with a quarter turn and it looks roughly like this one:

https://www.fixthebog.uk/siamp-optima-4 ... -32499910/

I cleaned up some scale from the washer but it hasn't fixed it. Sometimes the flow will stop when there's enough weight of water - but mess with the button and it's leaking again. And sometimes the button gets stuck down.

Guess I should try a new washer first? I could get a new flush unit but I'm not sure how to make sure it will be compatible with the bottom part where it fixes to the tank (hoping not to change this). I've no idea how compatible these things tend to be. But I don't mind spending £20 on a new flush unit if I know it will fit.

Any ideas? Thanks.

Edit: are there places I could take the unit to for them to identify the right part?

DrFfybes
Lemon Quarter

Re: Push button toilet flush

Postby DrFfybes » February 5th, 2024, 2:14 pm

The sealing washers on the bottom of this sort of valve are notorious for blistering and leaking.

Identify the model and go on Ebay and get a new one for about £4 as a first port of call.

Paul

MrFoolish
Lemon Quarter

Postby MrFoolish » February 5th, 2024, 2:41 pm

DrFfybes wrote:The sealing washers on the bottom of this sort of valve are notorious for blistering and leaking.

Identify the model and go on Ebay and get a new one for about £4 as a first port of call.

Paul

OK, thanks. Think I've found the right part on amazon.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Replacement-To ... C65&sr=8-2

The hole is bang on my measurement at 43mm. Vaguely concerned that I measure 67mm for the outer diameter whereas this is spec'd at 71mm. Do they shrink?!

stevensfo
Lemon Quarter

Postby stevensfo » February 5th, 2024, 3:06 pm

MrFoolish wrote:I have a push button toilet flush which sometimes leaks into the bowl. I'm pretty sure it's the flush at fault rather than the float cut-off.

I can remove the flush with a quarter turn and it looks roughly like this one:

https://www.fixthebog.uk/siamp-optima-4 ... -32499910/

I cleaned up some scale from the washer but it hasn't fixed it. Sometimes the flow will stop when there's enough weight of water - but mess with the button and it's leaking again. And sometimes the button gets stuck down.

Guess I should try a new washer first? I could get a new flush unit but I'm not sure how to make sure it will be compatible with the bottom part where it fixes to the tank (hoping not to change this). I've no idea how compatible these things tend to be. But I don't mind spending £20 on a new flush unit if I know it will fit.

Any ideas? Thanks.

Edit: are there places I could take the unit to for them to identify the right part?

We had to have the whole flush device changed. Our plumber told us to stop using those blue rinse tablets that you drop into the reservoir. Apparently, because the chemical stays there, it slowly destroys the seal.

Spare a thought for me in the future. My wife insisted on two smart new toilets with the buttons fitted into the tiles above.

When they go wrong, I have no idea what to do. Knock down half the house?

Chemical toilets in a small shed outside are much easier. 8-)

Steve

jfgw
Lemon Quarter

Postby jfgw » February 5th, 2024, 10:44 pm

I have previously expressed my opinion of these new-fangled flushing valves. The long-term cure involves a sledge-hammer and a new cistern with a proper syphon.

I am privelidged to live within click and collect distance of Plumb Spares Direct, https://www.plumbsparesdirect.com/toilet-spares/toilet-flush-valve. They usually have what I want in stock.

I find that the problem is usually a sticking or broken mechanism. I normally replace the whole valve with one of the same type. A different model may fit the existing bayonet base part if it is the same brand.

Julian F. G. W.

Boots
2 Lemon pips

Postby Boots » February 6th, 2024, 9:14 am

MrFoolish wrote:I have a push button toilet flush which sometimes leaks into the bowl. I'm pretty sure it's the flush at fault rather than the float cut-off.

This is (one of) the pain(s) of our life. We had our shower room refitted eighteen months ago. Within weeks the toilet started intermittently failing to shut-off after the (inadequate) flush - just flowing, presumably at the same rate as the flow to the toilet, it never showed any sign of stopping. We found that manically jabbing at the button would, eventually shut off the flow. I hate and detest these fancy, built-in cisterns. Our one is by Thomas Dudley. We are now on our second mechanism, but it's still doing it.

When I grew up (back in the age of Harold Wilson and Ted Heath) we had a Victorian cast iron cistern high on the wall with a chain pull. Almost a hundred years old, with a flush like Niagara, it just worked, every time.

So much for progress!

jfgw
Lemon Quarter

Postby jfgw » February 6th, 2024, 9:33 am

What doesn't make sense to me is that water regs. limit a full flush to six litres, yet, it is perfectly legal to fit a type of flush valve which is known to waste vast amounts of water.

Bits of plastic can break, the surfaces which are meant to slide against each other develop a rough surface and stick, and cables stick.

The tubes on pneumatic ones get stiff and fall off but this is an easy repair with new tubes, and this fault does not waste water.

Julian F. G. W.

DrFfybes
Lemon Quarter

Postby DrFfybes » February 6th, 2024, 10:26 am

Boots wrote:When I grew up (back in the age of Harold Wilson and Ted Heath) we had a Victorian cast iron cistern high on the wall with a chain pull. Almost a hundred years old, with a flush like Niagara, it just worked, every time.

We had those at uni. You could reach over from the next cubicle and give it a quick pull when someone was sitting comfortably. Almost as much fun as chucking bangers under the cubicle door or taking the screwsoff the handle inside and blu-tacking it back in place.

Paul

Watis
Lemon Quarter

Postby Watis » February 6th, 2024, 11:42 am

Watis Towers has two toilets.

The newer one has a push button flush which has needed attention and new parts several times in about 15 years.

The older one is over 50 years old and is more reliable.The ballcock valve had to be changed when the water supply went to mains pressure and the flush mechanism when a rubber seal perished. Otherwise, both parts would likely be still working today.

Watis

Watis
Lemon Quarter

Postby Watis » February 6th, 2024, 5:01 pm

Watis wrote:Watis Towers has two toilets.

The newer one has a push button flush which has needed attention and new parts several times in about 15 years.

The older one is over 50 years old and is more reliable.The ballcock valve had to be changed when the water supply went to mains pressure and the flush mechanism when a rubber seal perished. Otherwise, both parts would likely be still working today.

Watis

Oh, and guess which toilet I'm under pressure from Mrs Watis to replace?

Watis

stewamax
Lemon Quarter

Postby stewamax » February 6th, 2024, 8:36 pm

stevensfo wrote:My wife insisted on two smart new toilets with the buttons fitted into the tiles above. When they go wrong, I have no idea what to do. Knock down half the house?

Same problem with fitted (inlaid) shower controls - to service a sticking controller or replace a seal you need to unscrew a cover dome recessed into the wall; drop a screw and you are ... screwed

MrFoolish
Lemon Quarter

Postby MrFoolish » February 6th, 2024, 10:09 pm

Thanks for all the comments. I've ordered a replacement washer. I'll let you know if this does the trick or if I end up having to get a new a flush unit (or if I break the toilet and flood the house).

BTW, found an interesting video of somebody servicing a unit concealed behind the tiles:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fS-SLQ2vbOo&t=333s

MrFoolish
Lemon Quarter

Postby MrFoolish » February 21st, 2024, 1:02 pm

I'll give the promised update on this. The replacement washer was the right size but it didn't fix the problem. I then noticed the height adjustment mechanism wouldn't lock into place; also the button thread was damaged. So I got a replacement flush unit. I set all the controls to the same numbers as before. It easily twists into place into the existing base connector (the new unit comes with a new base connector but I didn't need it). All seems fine now :-) Thanks for the interest.

Mike4
Lemon Half

Postby Mike4 » March 26th, 2024, 6:15 pm

DrFfybes wrote:
Boots wrote:When I grew up (back in the age of Harold Wilson and Ted Heath) we had a Victorian cast iron cistern high on the wall with a chain pull. Almost a hundred years old, with a flush like Niagara, it just worked, every time.

We had those at uni. You could reach over from the next cubicle and give it a quick pull when someone was sitting comfortably. Almost as much fun as chucking bangers under the cubicle door or taking the screwsoff the handle inside and blu-tacking it back in place.

Paul

Do you mean well-cooked sausages? Or the fireworks?

Either sounds a great deal of fun!

Return to “Building and DIY”