Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Wasron,jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly, for Donating to support the site

Triple glazing?

Does what it says on the tin
ukmtk
2 Lemon pips

Triple glazing?

Postby ukmtk » March 24th, 2024, 7:33 am

I am planning on replacing the windows at home (they are approaching their end of life).
I am thinking of triple glazed instead of double glazed - insulation & noise.
I would want them as tilt & turn windows - like a lot of Europeans do (so they open 2 ways).
Any suggestions as to suppliers?
Many thanks in advance.

BullDog
Lemon Quarter

Re: Triple glazing?

Postby BullDog » March 24th, 2024, 7:51 am

ukmtk wrote:I am planning on replacing the windows at home (they are approaching their end of life).
I would want them as tilt & turn windows - like a lot of Europeans do (so they open 2 ways).
Many thanks in advance.

Take a look at Velfac windows. They're very good indeed in my experience. Not the cheapest but the best is never cheap.

Gerry557
Lemon Quarter

Postby Gerry557 » March 24th, 2024, 7:59 am

I suspect most would do them in double or triple.

Check out the energy ratings before you order and the company reviews.

Expect to pay more for the triple if its decent rather than "cheap" triple which might only be as good as quality double. Double today is likely to be much improved over your old double.

Dicky99
Lemon Slice

Postby Dicky99 » March 24th, 2024, 8:08 am

ukmtk wrote:I am planning on replacing the windows at home (they are approaching their end of life).
Many thanks in advance.

I recently had the windows replaced in our block of 7 flats. I didn't have working experience of any of the window companies in my area but I have lived here long enough to know which companies have been a presence in my town for a long time.
I discussed it with other owners and they agreed that we would only seek quotes from companies satisfying 3 criteria :-
1. FENSA accredited
2. Have been a presence in the town for many years
3. Have a showroom where we could have a look at a sample window of the type we would get.

I identified 3 companies fitting the criteria and the quotes came back with barely a fag papers difference.

Couple of things to bear in mind. If you are changing traditional casement type windows for tilt/turns, by altering the appearance of the fenestration you may require planning permission.
Tilt/turn mechanisms are necessarily more complicated than regular window hinges so ensure that good quality mechanisms are specified.
Make sure that as well as the supplier's own guarantee they have included in the quote for an insurance backed guarantee.
Make sure to obtain a FENSA certificate on completion. That's your proof that the windows have been manufactured and installed in accordance with the Regs and will be asked for by the conveyancing solicitor on sale of the property.

DrFfybes
Lemon Quarter

Postby DrFfybes » March 24th, 2024, 9:01 am

Dicky99 wrote:Couple of things to bear in mind. If you are changing traditional casement type windows for tilt/turns, by altering the appearance of the fenestration you may require planning permission.

This generally only applies to flats, conservation areas, listed buildings, etc. Most 'normal' houses don't have this requirement.

However if you happen to be Leasehold then the Freeholder can charge you quite a lot for a letter giving you permission.

Paul

Return to “Building and DIY”