Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

London November Social Report

Covering meetups anywhere in the UK
Clariman
Lemon Quarter

London November Social Report

Postby Clariman » November 17th, 2018, 11:46 am

It is quite appropriate that I am writing this on a Virgin train, given that I was a Foolish Social virgin until yesterday evening. I think I joined The Motley Fool in 2001 - maybe a year earlier - but never attended any socials. Although Stooz and I built or first website together in 2005, we had never met until 4.15pm yesterday afternoon - half an hour before setting off to walk to the Clachan. Although we both have technical backgrounds, Stooz's knowledge is more recent than mine so I trusted him to use his phone to navigate us to the right place. As we entered an alleyway beside Liberty's I wondered if my trust was misplaced but twas not so. There was the Clachan.

As provincial types we commented on how busy the big city was, how strange it was to drink outside a pub in November ... and why pints cost more than a fiver. Luckily the latter was not a great issue for us given the generosity of our fellow Fools. Many thanks to all for the offer of drinks.

It was good to meet Stooz despite the fact that our difference in height made us look more like a comedy double act than Internet entrepreneurs. In reality we are neither :) . It was good to meet our fellow Fools and to say thanks in person to some of our Moderators. Without them this site would not function half as well. Thanks to AC for organising.

It is good to have new experiences and learn lessons from them. Last night I learned that I could survive 10 hours without food while consuming alcohol for 5 of those hours. Not something I plan to repeat too often. The other lesson I learned is not to put my return train tickets in the same jacket pocket as my glasses. Some time while entirely sober at the railway station this morning I lost my ticket while taking my glasses out. Virgin trains don't have the technology (or the will) to reprint tickets on the presentation of email evidence of the purchase. However they will - very graciously - sell you a whole new ticket at full price for your journey. How kind.

I'm not going to give written portraits of my fellow Fools for fear of causing offence and likely retaliation ;) ... however I will attempt a roll call. I have a funny feeling I may have missed someone out.

AleisterCrowley
Clariman
Csearle
DBA99 (is that right name?)
Hard grafter
IanTHughes
Melonfool
PinkDalek (she wasn't there. It was an imposter)
Redsturgeon
Stooz
Tk20 (promised an upgrade to tkmaxx after 1000th post)
Xx101

Thanks for your company last night. It was a good night.

Clariman

melonfool
Lemon Quarter

Re: London November Social Report

Postby melonfool » November 17th, 2018, 12:39 pm

Clariman wrote:Last night I learned that I could survive 10 hours without food while consuming alcohol for 5 of those hours. Not something I plan to repeat too often.

Now you know why I turned up with a Pret sarnie to eat, I've learnt that lesson in the past. Even without alcohol I feel wobbly with no food for several hours.

So great to meet everyone new and catch up with the three stooges......regulars.

Mel

AleisterCrowley
Lemon Half

Postby AleisterCrowley » November 17th, 2018, 1:34 pm

Three Stooges?!?
What is this defamation?
Care to name them?
I'm sure Knip Kelad (anag.) is somehow involved

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Postby redsturgeon » November 17th, 2018, 2:06 pm

Good see see everyone last night. My apologies for probably talking even more rubbish than usual since I had already been drinking for over 5 hours before I arrived so I made it a full 12 hours of drinking yesterday!

Stooz and Clariman in one place at the same time...whatever next, perhaps peace will break out on polite discussions.

Cheers
John

PinkDalek
Lemon Half

Postby PinkDalek » November 17th, 2018, 2:42 pm

If I may, we also raised a glass to the late and great Coleyfish (with my apologies to Clariman for confusing the respective usernames, continually).

P"Mad Dog"D

Clariman
Lemon Quarter

Postby Clariman » November 17th, 2018, 3:06 pm

PinkDalek wrote:If I may, we also raised a glass to the late and great Coleyfish (with my apologies to Clariman for confusing the respective usernames, continually).

P"Mad Dog"D

Indeed, your continual announcements of my demise were very touching but somewhat alarming.

Return to “Lemon Socials”