Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34,Anonymous, for Donating to support the site

Emotional IQ

A friendly ear
AsleepInYorkshire
Lemon Half

Emotional IQ

Postby AsleepInYorkshire » July 1st, 2022, 12:08 am

My Mum died last December. She was 80 years young. In 1984 she and my late Dad bought a small business. Mum had a little newspaper shop and Dad had a fishing tackle shop. You could walk through one to get to the other. They lived in the premises. Not long after they started in the business my cousin began to come over at weekends to help Dad in the tackle shop. He was (and still is) and avid fisherman. Dad died in 1990 and not long after my cousin took up the reins of running Dads shop full time. He moved to the premises as at the time he lived 30 miles away.

Mum sold her business when she was 74 and bought a modest home to retire in. My cousin found alternative work in the area. His friends all lived locally too. He continued to reside at Mum's. It was his home. He cut the lawn, washed the windows, fixed the fence and decking and lots of other stuff.

Mum's wish was that he continue to live in his home after her death. His friends are local and he works locally.

He's adopted Mum's dog, a very small Yorkshire Terrier. She's four years old. During the week she comes to us for the day. We have two dogs and she absolutely enjoys running between their legs. She was a birthday present from me and my two girls. She has been good company for Mum. She's good company for all of us now and a great reminder of the happiness and joy she brought into Mum's life.

Early this week my daughter and my good lady took her home after her day with us.

When they arrived they had a conversation with my cousin. He was telling them all about the Canin biscuits Mum's dog has for breakfast.

When they got back in the car my daughter mentioned something to Mum. She had noticed that when my cousin discussed what Mum's dog has for breakfast he said "we give her Canin". He didn't say "I give her Canin".

My daughter is 15.

Academically she's achieving some good results. Her emotional IQ, her ability to hear what others are saying and feeling does make my good lady and me feel immensely proud.

AiY(D)

servodude
Lemon Half

Re: Emotional IQ

Postby servodude » July 1st, 2022, 8:16 am

AsleepInYorkshire wrote:Her emotional IQ, her ability to hear what others are saying and feeling does make my good lady and me feel immensely proud.

Double edged sword at times...
It's also how teenage girls know EXACTLY what buttons to push ;)

AsleepInYorkshire
Lemon Half

Re: Emotional IQ

Postby AsleepInYorkshire » July 1st, 2022, 9:27 am

servodude wrote:
AsleepInYorkshire wrote:Her emotional IQ, her ability to hear what others are saying and feeling does make my good lady and me feel immensely proud.

Double edged sword at times...
It's also how teenage girls know EXACTLY what buttons to push ;)

:lol:

We're extremely lucky. She's very transparent and isn't manipulative. If she wants something she asks. If we say no she respects. She's bossy (my fault :? ) and I never get to see anything on TV. I suspect that as potential suitors fall in line they will find they are being "monitored" across several KPI's :lol: .

We've been very lucky. We've always been very open with her. If money's tight she's aware. If Dad's not feeling good, she's aware. She has responsibilities and chores and I have got to say her "time management", for a 15 year old is exemplary. One of her personal qualities that I constantly admire is her ability to listen to advice. Not just silly parental advice I hasten to add. She filters it very well and takes away what will be useful in her life.

From an early age I've advised her not to discuss money or materials with her friends and I've tried to explain to her why. About 6 months ago she came home and said the girls had been discussing how much pocket money they get. Numbers were mentioned. She remained quiet about her "income".

She has an interview for Police Cadets in two weeks time. I may well have to start watching my speed 8-)

Take care

AiY(D)

Return to “Comfort Cafe”