Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to bruncher,niord,gvonge,Shelford,GrahamPlatt, for Donating to support the site

Same old, same old

A friendly ear
Sunnypad
Lemon Slice

Same old, same old

Postby Sunnypad » September 27th, 2022, 6:03 pm

Hello all
I can't believe I am posting about this again, but here we are.

Some of you might recall that my father left two rental properties, in a dubious area and not in great condition. They officially belong to my mother who is the landlady.

I sold one of them, which she agreed to very reluctantly, but she was determined to hold on to the other. I don't feel it is being properly looked after.

I did an inspection and there are, IMHO, a couple of major safety issues, which I have highlighted before when they were minor. I am taking immediate steps to rectify these.

The tenant told me she reported it to the agent twice. The agent told me she was reluctant to tell mum "because you know these elderly landlords, if they get too stressed, you don't know what will happen".

I have long been furious at the lackadaisical attitude by mum. I believe we have a responsibility to tenants.

Anyway, today I absolutely lost it and yelled at my mother on the phone. Partly due to the astonishing lack of responsibility but also because I had warned her about the cumulation of these problems and she ignored it.

She is now taking it seriously but the stress will affect her for weeks. I did choose to shout, I am not naturally shouty, but I didn't think a polite remark was going to get her to take it seriously.

I think I did the right thing but I suppose I am seeking reassurance. It appalls me to see tenants being neglected. I realise if we sell the lady could be bounced off to another crappy landlord but I feel strongly we must take our responsibilities seriously.

Thank you for listening.

ReformedCharacter
Lemon Quarter

Re: Same old, same old

Postby ReformedCharacter » September 27th, 2022, 6:20 pm

Doing the right thing isn't always easy but it's better than not doing it :)

RC

88V8
Lemon Half

Postby 88V8 » September 27th, 2022, 6:24 pm

Sunnypad wrote:She is now taking it seriously but the stress will affect her for weeks. I did choose to shout, I am not naturally shouty, but I didn't think a polite remark was going to get her to take it seriously.

Well done, trying to do the right thing... you know your mum... what's needed to get some action... and being shouted at by you is better than being sued by a tenant... anyway in The Archers they seem to shout at one another all the time and none the worse for it.

V8

Sunnypad
Lemon Slice

Postby Sunnypad » September 27th, 2022, 7:04 pm

Thank you both

And the Archers comment made me :lol:

I have never heard it.

I always feel very unsettled if I shout at someone.

Arborbridge
The full Lemon

Postby Arborbridge » September 27th, 2022, 8:47 pm

88V8 wrote:
Sunnypad wrote:She is now taking it seriously but the stress will affect her for weeks. I did choose to shout, I am not naturally shouty, but I didn't think a polite remark was going to get her to take it seriously.

Well done, trying to do the right thing... you know your mum... what's needed to get some action... and being shouted at by you is better than being sued by a tenant... anyway in The Archers they seem to shout at one another all the time and none the worse for it.

V8

As something of an Archers fan, I have to say that isn't true. There was a period some years ago when they had a director from East Enders, and at that time it did get very shouty. The true Archers fan hated most of that, but fortunately he left, and we've settled back to more polite language.

Arb.

Sunnypad
Lemon Slice

Postby Sunnypad » September 27th, 2022, 9:23 pm

Arb - I was trying to find one of those 2DTV sketches that highlighted the shoutiness of Eastenders (I had a BF who loved it but it's not my thing).

Anyway, the sketch at 2.57 sums it up

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_BafVsuYi78

Thanks for the laughs :D

Arborbridge
The full Lemon

Postby Arborbridge » September 28th, 2022, 8:49 am

Sunnypad wrote:Arb - I was trying to find one of those 2DTV sketches that highlighted the shoutiness of Eastenders (I had a BF who loved it but it's not my thing).

Anyway, the sketch at 2.57 sums it up

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_BafVsuYi78

Thanks for the laughs :D

:lol: and it demonstrated why the fans were blaze when the director of EE came over the Archers.

Arb.

Leothebear
Lemon Quarter

Postby Leothebear » September 28th, 2022, 11:19 am

Elderly parents can be tough to deal with. Many are still in that frame of mind, where you, their child, can never know better than them, the parent.
Often they'll listen and act on a third party's advice rather than their child.

So it's little wonder that frustration got the better of you Sunnypad. Hopefully this was a turning point where your mother will now accept that you're a better landlord than she now is. Fingers crossed!

Good luck for the future.

Leo

Sunnypad
Lemon Slice

Postby Sunnypad » September 28th, 2022, 12:17 pm

Arb, I found the whole thing quite funny, despite not knowing who most of them were. :lol:

I used to like the weather clip they did with Sian someone just waving her hands at the map, saying "blah blah blah, blah blah, blah blah blah blah blah".

Leo - I know what you mean. I find the parent thing so hard and it's not socially acceptable to say that. It's so lucky we have this board - thanks to everyone keeping TLF going.

Return to “Comfort Cafe”