Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Anonymous,bruncher,niord,gvonge,Shelford, for Donating to support the site

A Tip for All Parents

A friendly ear
Rhyd6
Lemon Quarter
Posts: 1279
Joined: November 4th, 2016, 10:01 pm
Has thanked: 3600 times
Been thanked: 1127 times

A Tip for All Parents

#667676

Postby Rhyd6 » June 5th, 2024, 5:53 pm

Read an article today in which a young child had swallowed a small battery from a toy. Parents rushed her to hospital where doctor gave the child a jar of honey to eat as apparently this prevents the battery leaking and damaging the intestines. I thought this was a great tip as sometimes you can't get them to hospital or don't realise straight away what they've done.

R6

MuddyBoots
Lemon Slice
Posts: 454
Joined: May 20th, 2019, 1:59 pm
Has thanked: 836 times
Been thanked: 120 times

Re: A Tip for All Parents

#667799

Postby MuddyBoots » June 6th, 2024, 4:02 pm

Thanks Rhyd6, how much honey should they eat?

bungeejumper
Lemon Half
Posts: 8291
Joined: November 8th, 2016, 2:30 pm
Has thanked: 2940 times
Been thanked: 4049 times

Re: A Tip for All Parents

#667803

Postby bungeejumper » June 6th, 2024, 4:35 pm

MuddyBoots wrote:Thanks Rhyd6, how much honey should they eat?

If button battery ingestion is suspected or confirmed in children older than 1 year of age [honey is associated with a risk of botulism in infants (7)] and the battery was swallowed less than 12 h ago, it recommends the administration of 10 ml honey every 10 min up to a total of 6 times (8). Further along the way, the European Society of Paediatric Gastroenterology, Hepatology and Nutrition issued a Position Paper which also recommends administering honey to children older than 1 year of age after BB ingestion (4)


https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC10569471/

BJ


Return to “Comfort Cafe”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests