Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Fed up with ever increasing logon procedures!

A friendly ear
AleisterCrowley
Lemon Half

Re: Fed up with ever increasing logon procedures!

Postby AleisterCrowley » January 15th, 2021, 3:14 pm

stevensfo wrote:So far, I haven't come across a shop that wants my email address, but I would just give them a false one. ..

Steve

DUNELM

'Can I have your email address for the receipt?'

NO, JUST PRINT IT OUT LIKE PRETTY MUCH EVERY OTHER SHOP

Sunnypad
Lemon Slice

Postby Sunnypad » January 15th, 2021, 3:22 pm

didds wrote:I just presumed that with society becoming increasingly litigacious its just the inevitable next step of covering their bottoms. Not leaving anything open to be accused of not doing.

didds

Not sure how that relates to giving an email address for a light bulb?

Steve - no, that's a complete "did that really happen" moment for me! But I think the bank could easily deal with increased customers by increasing staff. It just doesn't profit them.

stevensfo
Lemon Quarter

Postby stevensfo » January 15th, 2021, 4:10 pm

AleisterCrowley wrote:
stevensfo wrote:So far, I haven't come across a shop that wants my email address, but I would just give them a false one. ..

Steve

DUNELM

'Can I have your email address for the receipt?'

NO, JUST PRINT IT OUT LIKE PRETTY MUCH EVERY OTHER SHOP

Wow, that is weird. There is a Dunelm in Huntingdon where we have gone, with my mother, to get everything that our kids needed for uni for the last ten years. I have never heard of this, so it must be pretty recent.

I think that my earlier reservations and incredulity about the principles of so called 'Privacy' are vindicated.

From now on, before paying at the till, we should demand the CVs, ages, criminal records and last three addresses of all employees, as well as the personal bank details of the company CEO.

If they have nothing to hide, than they will not worry. ;)

Steve

AleisterCrowley
Lemon Half

Postby AleisterCrowley » January 15th, 2021, 4:15 pm

Yep, definitely Dunelm -every time
Some sort of group policy -similar to 'Savers' in Reading who always try to sell aftershave/perfume at the till (commission?)

Sunnypad
Lemon Slice

Postby Sunnypad » January 15th, 2021, 5:18 pm

*Steve* you have made me laugh today
That's an achievement, trust me! Thank you.

Arborbridge
The full Lemon

Postby Arborbridge » January 15th, 2021, 5:49 pm

Something Steve wrote triggered a thought from 1968 when a friend and his wife asked me to join them on honeymoon. Yes, I thought it strange too, but turned out to be just an innocent request to use up space in a big house.

However, he needed some cash, so trotted down to the bank. There were no cards, no ATMs then, so one wrote a cheque and pushed it over the counter. "Do you have any indentification, please?" (NB. no one would have said "ID" as it's lazy and American) "yes" the answer came - and he loosened his trousers, struggled and twisted a bit to show the cashier his name tag sewn in at the back.
I reckon he must have had those trousers since his school days.

So simple, so innocent.

Arb.

AleisterCrowley
Lemon Half

Postby AleisterCrowley » January 15th, 2021, 10:34 pm

Arborbridge wrote:Something Steve wrote triggered a thought from 1968 when a friend and his wife asked me to join them on honeymoon. Yes, I thought it strange too, but turned out to be just an innocent request to use up space in a big house.

Arb.

Not so strange -Kenneth Williams joined Barbara Windsor and her husband Ronnie Knight* on their honeymoon.
:evil: AC

* I'm sayin' nuffink

AF62
Lemon Quarter

Postby AF62 » January 17th, 2021, 9:00 am

Sunnypad wrote:2 factor authentication for a loyalty card is mad!

Is it?

On numerous occasions Tesco have been blamed by people when their Clubcard reward points have vanished, with some people having hundreds of pounds of points disappearing. Each time it has transpired that the issue has been those people reusing passwords across multiple websites and one of the others has been hacked.

Sure you can tell people not to reuse passwords, but some people will continue to do so and the only way to protect those people is to put another piece of protection in place, aka 2FA.

JohnB
Lemon Quarter

Postby JohnB » January 17th, 2021, 10:06 am

I don't think its worth jumping through hoops for sites that have 1/10000 of my net worth, or sites that might, horror of horrors, know my credit card number. There are far too many uppity website designers who think their site is worthy of top of the range security, never mind that the consequences of abuse are minimal.

AF62
Lemon Quarter

Postby AF62 » January 17th, 2021, 1:00 pm

JohnB wrote:I don't think its worth jumping through hoops for sites that have 1/10000 of my net worth, or sites that might, horror of horrors, know my credit card number. There are far too many uppity website designers who think their site is worthy of top of the range security, never mind that the consequences of abuse are minimal.

Yes, I mean what could someone possibly do with your credit card details. If the consequences are so minimal, how about posting your card details here and lets see what happens.

Mike4
Lemon Half

Postby Mike4 » January 17th, 2021, 1:24 pm

AF62 wrote:
JohnB wrote:I don't think its worth jumping through hoops for sites that have 1/10000 of my net worth, or sites that might, horror of horrors, know my credit card number. There are far too many uppity website designers who think their site is worthy of top of the range security, never mind that the consequences of abuse are minimal.

Yes, I mean what could someone possibly do with your credit card details. If the consequences are so minimal, how about posting your card details here and lets see what happens.

Probably nothing will happen. For card details to be of any use remotely, the house number and postcode of the address associated with the card is necessary.

:roll:

XFool
The full Lemon

Postby XFool » January 17th, 2021, 4:07 pm

Mike4 wrote:
AF62 wrote:

Probably nothing will happen. For card details to be of any use remotely, the house number and postcode of the address associated with the card is necessary.

:roll:

Is it? I thought just the last three numbers of the card verification code were enough. At least by phone. (Use card infrequently on net)

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » January 17th, 2021, 4:16 pm

XFool wrote:
Mike4 wrote:
AF62 wrote:Yes, I mean what could someone possibly do with your credit card details. If the consequences are so minimal, how about posting your card details here and lets see what happens.

Is it? I thought just the last three numbers of the card verification code were enough. At least by phone. (Use card infrequently on net)

In my experience the 3-digit security code (and expiry date) is always asked for online or over the phone. The postcode etc. is sometimes asked,

If you think about it there are probably thousands of people who know your credit card details i.e. anyone who has ever accepted a card transaction from you. I have had 2 instance of fraud in 40 years of using credit cards. One of those was when the card was stolen. The other time must have been fraud by someone who had handled my card in a transaction, either in-person or online. Both times the false charges were voided, showing that the banks are really protecting themselves by these measures, and not you and I.

XFool
The full Lemon

Postby XFool » January 17th, 2021, 4:44 pm

Lootman wrote:In my experience the 3-digit security code (and expiry date) is always asked for online or over the phone. The postcode etc. is sometimes asked,

If you think about it there are probably thousands of people who know your credit card details i.e. anyone who has ever accepted a card transaction from you. I have had 2 instance of fraud in 40 years of using credit cards. One of those was when the card was stolen. The other time must have been fraud by someone who had handled my card in a transaction, either in-person or online. Both times the false charges were voided, showing that the banks are really protecting themselves by these measures, and not you and I.

AFAIK, I've never yet had an example of CC fraud. (Hope I don't live to regret saying that!). I had a non CC card stolen decades ago, so long ago I cannot now remember if it was used or what exactly happened - apart from it turning up months later during decorating, behind a lavatory cistern.

BTW. After being sent that nice new PINsentry card reader by Barcaycard (MFA), I have never yet been asked to use it for its intended purpose. It still seems like a watered down version of 'Verified by Visa' online. So far I've only ever used it to log on to my non Barclay bank account. Typical!

Mike4
Lemon Half

Postby Mike4 » January 17th, 2021, 5:16 pm

Lootman wrote:
XFool wrote:
Mike4 wrote:Probably nothing will happen. For card details to be of any use remotely, the house number and postcode of the address associated with the card is necessary.

In my experience the 3-digit security code (and expiry date) is always asked for online or over the phone. The postcode etc. is sometimes asked,

^^^This^^^

As a card merchant myself I can confirm my copy of the transaction slip of every sale I make captures and prints the full card number and expiry date (but not the 3 digit code) for my later reference should I need it. So in fact I am the weak link - if I went rogue I could put through say £500 on every card I've been paid with over the last few years (not expired, but hundreds of them) and buy myself an Aston Martin or emigrate to Barbados.

Any "card not present" sale I put through requires the house number and postcode digits, but I have captured those deets as I visited the house. I suspect the bank's fraud software would pretty quickly step in having recognised an unusual pattern of transactions on my merchant account though.

I can however refund money to a card using just the card number and 3 digit code IIRC. I also need to swipe my "supervisor card" as an extra layer of security for refunds.

supremetwo
Lemon Quarter

Postby supremetwo » January 17th, 2021, 5:28 pm

Mike4 wrote:As a card merchant myself I can confirm my copy of the transaction slip of every sale I make captures and prints the full card number and expiry date (but not the 3 digit code) for my later reference should I need it. So in fact I am the weak link - if I went rogue I could put through say £500 on every card I've been paid with over the last few years (not expired, but hundreds of them) and buy myself an Aston Martin or emigrate to Barbados.

Any "card not present" sale I put through requires the house number and postcode digits, but I have captured those deets as I visited the house. I suspect the bank's fraud software would pretty quickly step in having recognised an unusual pattern of transactions on my merchant account though.

I can however refund money to a card using just the card number and 3 digit code IIRC. I also need to swipe my "supervisor card" as an extra layer of security for refunds.

My issue is unreliable mobile signal so that texts of the login code may not arrive.
Some providers offer a landline or email alternative but some do not.

How do you put through a mobile payment if there is an unreliable mobile signal?

Mike4
Lemon Half

Postby Mike4 » January 17th, 2021, 5:47 pm

supremetwo wrote:
Mike4 wrote:As a card merchant myself I can confirm my copy of the transaction slip of every sale I make captures and prints the full card number and expiry date (but not the 3 digit code) for my later reference should I need it. So in fact I am the weak link - if I went rogue I could put through say £500 on every card I've been paid with over the last few years (not expired, but hundreds of them) and buy myself an Aston Martin or emigrate to Barbados.

My issue is unreliable mobile signal so that texts of the login code may not arrive.
Some providers offer a landline or email alternative but some do not.

How do you put through a mobile payment if there is an unreliable mobile signal?

The card terminal scrolls through all the providers looking for the strongest (or any) signal. If it cant find one, the transaction fails and I get the Fisher-Price iZettle out which connects via my phone. Weirdly, the 3g or 4g phone connection sometimes exists on my iPhone when the PDQ terminal can't manage a connection. Not that it happens very often.

If both fail, I write down the card number and drive up the road to where there is a better signal and key the number in as a CNP sale.

didds
Lemon Half

Postby didds » January 18th, 2021, 10:38 am

Sunnypad wrote:Not sure how that relates to giving an email address for a light bulb?

i was replying to the stuff about banks.

But I agree with you - seems a bit daft other than its just data collection etc for whatever nefarious purposes they wish to use the data for.

didds

Sunnypad
Lemon Slice

Postby Sunnypad » January 18th, 2021, 8:20 pm

AF62 wrote:
Sunnypad wrote:2 factor authentication for a loyalty card is mad!

Is it?

On numerous occasions Tesco have been blamed by people when their Clubcard reward points have vanished, with some people having hundreds of pounds of points disappearing. Each time it has transpired that the issue has been those people reusing passwords across multiple websites and one of the others has been hacked.

Sure you can tell people not to reuse passwords, but some people will continue to do so and the only way to protect those people is to put another piece of protection in place, aka 2FA.

Oh right, thanks.

I don't do loyalty cards. I think my simple life pays off!

XFool
The full Lemon

Postby XFool » November 28th, 2021, 9:47 pm

XFool wrote:
Lootman wrote:If you think about it there are probably thousands of people who know your credit card details i.e. anyone who has ever accepted a card transaction from you. I have had 2 instance of fraud in 40 years of using credit cards. One of those was when the card was stolen. The other time must have been fraud by someone who had handled my card in a transaction, either in-person or online. Both times the false charges were voided, showing that the banks are really protecting themselves by these measures, and not you and I.

AFAIK, I've never yet had an example of CC fraud. (Hope I don't live to regret saying that!).

Hah! So I did.

Earlier this year. It was only a £20 cash transfer (Why so low? Could be a mistake?) it was eventually cancelled by the CC company. A first in nearly 50 years of using a credit card.

XFool wrote:BTW. After being sent that nice new PINsentry card reader by Barcaycard (MFA), I have never yet been asked to use it for its intended purpose. It still seems like a watered down version of 'Verified by Visa' online. So far I've only ever used it to log on to my non Barclay bank account. Typical!

Still true.

Return to “Comfort Cafe”