Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Mental Health

A friendly ear
AsleepInYorkshire
Lemon Half

Mental Health

Postby AsleepInYorkshire » March 9th, 2021, 11:33 pm

I'm 58.

From the age of 13 to 38 I suffered with undiagnosed clinical depression.

From 38 to 54 I was not correctly diagnosed with severe obstructive sleep apnea (OSA) and I struggled to cope with ever worsening mental health problems.

From aged 50 to January this year I was not diagnosed with various intolerances to gluten, lactose and avenin. And although I was correctly diagnosed with OSA I was told I didn't have SAD. Yup ... I did.

Apparently Piers Morgan is allowed to dismiss any one claiming they have had mental health issues. Because it's his opinion. Because cheap TV pays for his opinion.

Piers you're always welcome at my home. My door will always be open to you as it is to everyone. And if you do call in for a cup of tea I won't offer my opinion.

AiY

88V8
Lemon Half

Re: Mental Health

Postby 88V8 » March 10th, 2021, 12:43 pm

Sorry for your problems.

I had depression for many many years, a girl who didn't love me. That started forty-seven years, eight months and three days ago, not that I think about it any more. No point dwelling on the past, one just has to get on with things, alas. As Churchill did, his 'black dog'.

I think there is a tendency to overmedicalise the human condition. Fed up - mental health... sad - mental health.. etc etc. We've heard so much nonsense about mental health this last year. Perhaps that's what Piers M was responding to. All this exaggeration does no favour to those who really are mentally ill.

We are only beginning to learn the connections between our gut biome, our physical and no doubt mental health. We are what we eat n'all that.
We think we know much about how the body works, I suspect in a hundred years it will be apparent that really we know relatively little.

V8

AsleepInYorkshire
Lemon Half

Postby AsleepInYorkshire » March 10th, 2021, 1:58 pm

88V8 wrote:Sorry for your problems.

I had depression for many many years, a girl who didn't love me. That started forty-seven years, eight months and three days ago, not that I think about it any more. No point dwelling on the past, one just has to get on with things, alas. As Churchill did, his 'black dog'.

I think there is a tendency to overmedicalise the human condition. Fed up - mental health... sad - mental health.. etc etc. We've heard so much nonsense about mental health this last year. Perhaps that's what Piers M was responding to. All this exaggeration does no favour to those who really are mentally ill.

We are only beginning to learn the connections between our gut biome, our physical and no doubt mental health. We are what we eat n'all that.
We think we know much about how the body works, I suspect in a hundred years it will be apparent that really we know relatively little.

V8

The sad truth is that I have faced many doubters too. Those who believe you're swinging the lead. In 2014 in a desperate effort to return to work I sent 80 applications off. I was very honest on my CV and said I had time off due to illness, in particular mental health. I heard nothing. So I decided to reconstruct my CV and omit this fact. I was offered positions at the first two companies I sent the revised CV to.

Harry and Meghan have my full support. It's possible that Meghan had some pre and post natal depression? But any discussion about the tone of a persons skin is not relevant today. At the age of 12 Harry was told to walk behind his mothers coffin. He joined the army and served well. He is well spoken of by all of his colleagues. He didn't shirk or hide behind his Royal Status. This is for Harry, Meghan and their family to sort. I wish them well and hope that the arrival of their second child brings them yet further happiness.

AiY

88V8
Lemon Half

Postby 88V8 » March 10th, 2021, 10:37 pm

88V8 wrote:We are only beginning to learn the connections between our gut biome, our physical and no doubt mental health.

Example 'If research into the effect of gut bacteria on human health is young, then work on the mycobiome is in its infancy.'

And 'we are planning to perform studies in humans and mice looking at how the fungal microbiome influences metabolism on high-fat diets and after weight loss surgery,” the pair of researchers write. “And to learn more about how different fungi affect metabolism, we’d like to create mice with artificial microbiomes that we either assemble ourselves or transplant from a human donor.

https://newatlas.com/health-wellbeing/f ... etabolism/

V8

Return to “Comfort Cafe”