Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Old dog and euthenasia

A friendly ear
Leothebear
Lemon Quarter

Re: Old dog and euthenasia

Postby Leothebear » June 2nd, 2021, 9:09 am

Thank you both.

I pondered the fact that pet deaths hit me harder than human family deaths. I suppose it's because our pets are and remain our babies. Never growing up to be truculent teenagers but still showing personality, loyalty and affection. I have never lost a child but I suspect that would be devastation.

I think I need to remember that a few day's sadness is a small price to pay for years of devotion.

Kind regards to all

Leo

servodude
Lemon Half

Postby servodude » June 2nd, 2021, 12:14 pm

Leothebear wrote:Thank you both.

I pondered the fact that pet deaths hit me harder than human family deaths. I suppose it's because our pets are and remain our babies. Never growing up to be truculent teenagers but still showing personality, loyalty and affection. I have never lost a child but I suspect that would be devastation.

I think I need to remember that a few day's sadness is a small price to pay for years of devotion.

Kind regards to all

Leo

As a young man studying down south in Sheffield I got the call to say my Gran had died and I had to come home for the funeral.
When I got there I discovered the dog was nowhere to be seen.
She'd passed away a few weeks earlier... and my mum didn't want me to hear it over the phone.
Priorities are funny at times

-sd

didds
Lemon Half

Postby didds » June 9th, 2021, 8:01 am

Many thanks to you all for your kind words, thoughts and wishes.

Muffin had deteriorated quite badly at the end of last week, to the extent that my wife who had been away for a couple of days visiting her mum, noticed the difference on Sunday when she returned.

Muffin went to sleep on Monday night. The vet was amazing. Muffin is buried at the end of the garden where she can be forever laying in sunshine, and we are to plant sunflowers down there too.

There is a Muffin shapped hole in the world. Cyril - our big daft labrador sniffs around the front room where Muffin lay for the last weeks of her life. He was mewling this morning when my wife came down. He doesnt understand bless him.

Sleep tight Muffin. May the wind be always at your back and the sun always shine on your ever growing spots.

didds
xxxx

todthedog
Lemon Slice

Postby todthedog » June 9th, 2021, 3:35 pm

So sorry Didds.

Clitheroekid
Lemon Quarter

Postby Clitheroekid » June 10th, 2021, 6:46 pm

Leothebear wrote:I pondered the fact that pet deaths hit me harder than human family deaths.

Yes, this is sometimes very true. Someone who's never owned a pet would find it quite incomprehensible that an animal can be loved more than a human being, but I know that it's possible from my own experience and that of friends.

My own `Didds moment' came when I was about 20. At the age of 6 we'd acquired a Labrador puppy, and in many ways as I grew up he was my best friend. He was an absolutely integral part of our family and my childhood. He came with us on holidays, we walked together nearly every day, and he was my always loving, and never critical refuge and confidante when life got tough.

But as Labs do, he developed arthritis in his back legs, and gradually the walks shortened and then stopped. The vet did what little they could, but it became evident that the poor dog was beginning to suffer pain, and the decision had to be made.

It was without doubt the worst day of my life. I'd had the occasional relative die, and even a friend, but I'd never experienced true grief before. I couldn't believe how powerful it was, and even now, reading this thread has brought tears to my eyes, remembering how much I missed that unconditional love and affection; how empty my life suddenly seemed to have become; and how totally unprepared I was for it.

My grandmother died about 6 months later, and I remember feeling guilty that I felt nothing like the level of grief I had for our dog.

Since then I've never owned a dog myself, but I've had lots of friends who have, and I've witnessed their own grief at first hand. I've also learned (though it probably doesn't work for everyone) that a very effective remedy is to acquire another dog quickly, as caring for it will help bridge the emotional void left by the original one.

And talking of bridges ... I've been in two minds whether or not to refer to something called `The Rainbow Bridge', as it's unashamedly sentimental and I generally find the expression of such sentiments rather icky. But although it is very sentimental I - and others to whom I've sent it - can't help but be moved by it. Sometimes I think that a good wallow in sentiment can be pretty therapeutic.

So here it is - and apologies if it's too much for some!

Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.

When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge. There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together. There is plenty of food, water, and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigour. Those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by. The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent. His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together.

Return to “Comfort Cafe”