Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

Moan about other people and Covid

A friendly ear
Gersemi
Lemon Slice

Re: Moan about other people and Covid

Postby Gersemi » March 10th, 2022, 9:14 am

WickedLester wrote: I phoned him straight away to let him know but I could never forgive myself if I gave it to him and he gave it to his wife and something terrible happened.

The thing is there is a lot of Covid about. The government line is that it's all over and we should learn to 'live with it'. In practice that means that unless you isolate yourself completely you will be meeting multiple people with Covid. If your friend's wife has already had Covid, then she probably has a level of protection (over and above that given by vaccinations), even if she does develop Covid it will probably be a lot milder than the original infection.

sg31
Lemon Quarter

Postby sg31 » March 10th, 2022, 10:13 am

The ZOE covid tracker reports that '2,194,467 people are currently predicted to have symptomatic COVID in the UK'

https://covid.joinzoe.com/data#levels-over-time

Roughly 1 in 30 and that is only the symptomatic ones.

I'm sorry to hear you are one of them. I hope you and your family come through it without too many problems.

My wife and I went to a large Tesco store yesterday, we wore masks, only 2 other people in there wore them. It wasn't particularly busy but 95% of people had no mask.

WickedLester
Lemon Slice

Postby WickedLester » March 10th, 2022, 11:22 am

I must admit I don't like wearing a face mask when i'm out and about mainly because I wear glasses and it is a real pain in the backside trying to wear both.

I don't know if because we're all triple jabbed and that has afforded us some protection none of my family has suffered too badly so far but if I didn't know I had Covid I feel well enough to go about my life as per normal.

Hopefully, as predicted, the longer the virus persists and mutates the milder it will get until it will hopefully become more of an inconvenience like a cold than some of the early variants which could be quite deadly.

It sounds ideal having a week off work sick when you really don't feel bad but It's not as though I can do anything. I was looking forward to going up the pub tonight to watch West Ham in Europe but i'll have to give that a miss now!

stevensfo
Lemon Quarter

Postby stevensfo » March 11th, 2022, 9:17 pm

WickedLester wrote:I must admit I don't like wearing a face mask when i'm out and about mainly because I wear glasses and it is a real pain in the backside trying to wear both.

I don't know if because we're all triple jabbed and that has afforded us some protection none of my family has suffered too badly so far but if I didn't know I had Covid I feel well enough to go about my life as per normal.

Hopefully, as predicted, the longer the virus persists and mutates the milder it will get until it will hopefully become more of an inconvenience like a cold than some of the early variants which could be quite deadly.

It sounds ideal having a week off work sick when you really don't feel bad but It's not as though I can do anything. I was looking forward to going up the pub tonight to watch West Ham in Europe but i'll have to give that a miss now!

Yes, it's a pain with glasses! We all had Covid - I think the Omicron - on New year's eve and if we hadn't known about Covid, I'd have laughed it off as a cold or mild flu. After my booster, the after effects lasted for 12 hours and were much worse than Covid!!
Like my eldest son, I suffer from allergies and asthma, so we were both terrified of getting Covid. In the end we had no respiratory problems whatsoever. Actually both our kids were hardly ill at all. It certainly didn't stop them from playing games and chatting to friends on the internet till 3am!! ;)

Steve

dealtn
Lemon Half

Postby dealtn » March 13th, 2022, 3:13 pm

Gersemi wrote:The government line is that it's all over and we should learn to 'live with it'.

Almost the opposite.

The Government line is it isn't all over, but we should learn to 'live with it'.

pje16
Lemon Half

Postby pje16 » March 13th, 2022, 5:55 pm

dealtn wrote:
Gersemi wrote:The government line is that it's all over and we should learn to 'live with it'.

Almost the opposite.

The Government line is it isn't all over, but we should learn to 'live with it'.

Actually the Goverment act like it IS all over
Off with the masks, all back to work and on top of that planning to cut funding from the ZOE COVID Study

Loup321
Lemon Slice

Postby Loup321 » March 14th, 2022, 2:47 pm

It's really difficult doing the right thing. And then, even when you think it's the right thing, it probably isn't. That's how I feel about it right now.

The small one is in primary school, and they were sending out letters saying which classes have had cases and should be doing daily tests. Since Christmas, the small one and I have been doing daily tests because each week there was someone in her class, and it didn't seem fair that she had to do them but I didn't. Probably we did 5 tests each per week (don't even start with the national shortage of test kits - we were following the guidance as we understood we should). Anyway, eventually the small one tested positive on the second day of half term. Bang go all our plans - daytrip to London, weekend away in Liverpool. All cancelled. Got over the disappointment, and I carried on with my daily testing. The end of the week, I had a sore throat and headache for Friday, Saturday and Sunday, but negative tests on all those days, so carried on going out as I needed. Then on Monday I got a positive test, but my "symptoms" had changed to a slightly runny nose. So was I infectious on those three days that I went out?

Then, I had an operation planned, which had to be moved. There are other consequences of COVID that I wasn't aware of. General anaesthetic within 7 weeks of a positive COVID test puts you at a significantly higher risk of deep vein thrombosis. I had no idea. The operation had to go ahead (delayed only 8 days), as the risk of delaying was far worse than the risk of DVT with my age and lifestyle. But I have to wear the theatre socks for 2 weeks instead of a couple of days, and I have to inject some anti-clotting thing every day. Could have been avoided if blah, blah, blah and... Actually, I have no idea what we should have done differently, or could have done differently.

Then my friend and her husband got COVID just before my op, but luckily she was testing negative before my operation and could still pick me up from the hospital. Her husband had only 1 negative test by that point, so he sat in the car (wife doesn't drive). I don't think they could have caught it from me, because I only saw my friend when she picked up my daughter from school and handed her over at the end of the road (socially distanced and outdoors). Most likely, her children also brought it home from school, although the first to be ill was only 3 days after half term, the day my daughter went back to school. But should my friend have come to the hospital at all? Should I have gone in the car with her husband? Sometimes, needs must, but sometimes I'm not sure what is right.

Anyway, there are other knock on consequences to COVID that I didn't know. What else do I not know? (Don't answer that) And I thought I understood most of it. I'm on the mend, and have no signs of a DVT, but things would have been different if it weren't for COVID (like I wouldn't have got my own private room in the hospital). And I consider myself to be lucky, and the NHS to be doing brilliantly with all the things that are thrown at them.

scotia
Lemon Quarter

Postby scotia » March 14th, 2022, 8:47 pm

Loup321 wrote:It's really difficult doing the right thing. And then, even when you think it's the right thing, it probably isn't. That's how I feel about it right now.

Glad to hear that all is now well.
My self and wife are now in our late 70s (triple vaxed) - and have so far avoided Covid. We are back to meeting socially with other persons of a similar age, and we carry out tests before these indoor meetings. Both of our (grown up) children, and their children, have also been careful, but its the little ones at primary school who have brought Covid back from school to the home - carrying the infection to the (vaccinated) families. The little ones are hardly affected, but their parents have reported mild flu symptoms, and tiredness. Talking to other friends, I think this is a well known scenario - which the government is well aware of. Presumably they assume that a disrupted education is worse than the spread of the virus to parents who have been offered (and mostly accepted) vaccinations. So, in a similar vein, we probably need to choose our behaviour to optimise the common good (which includes ourselves). As you say, it may not always be easy to identify the right thing. But from your description you seem to have made sensible choices. And yes - it was only recently that I heard of the advice to delay elective surgery in patients that have suffered a Covid infection within the previous 7 weeks.

Return to “Comfort Cafe”