Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

Moan about other people and Covid

A friendly ear
Clariman
Lemon Quarter

Moan about other people and Covid

Postby Clariman » December 13th, 2021, 10:57 am

I am near the end of self-isolation due to a positive PCR test, my second since the start of all this. I was completely asymptomatic both times for which I am really grateful.

The first time was in spring, so I could get some fresh air by pottering about in the garden. At that time, the whole country was in some form of lockdown so my restrictions were just another layer on top of what everyone else was dealing with. To protect Mrs C and hence protect others, I restricted myself to the spare room and study. It was fine and I got lots of stuff done. With just one vaccination not long before, the sense of growing relief that I was feeling well helped sustain me too.

This time has been much harder. The shorter days, rain and cold weather has made the garden a non-starter. To be honest, I even found the bright crisp days hard because it was so frustrating that I couldn't go for a nice walk. With everything else being much more open, I was painfully aware of how much my life was being restricted, while also having the worry that I might have passed something on to loved ones. I've missed taking part in 4 performances, one of which would have been especially good because it was the group's first performance for nearly 2 years. I missed seeing my grandchildren.

This time is felt especially isolating and it followed on when I was alone without power, heating a food during Storm Arwen a few weeks ago. That felt isolating too, when I knew that family were elsewhere together, but also without power. It has been a strange few weeks all in all.

However, what has really got to me this time is other people and their attitudes. The Downing Street parties (I'm not going to call them 'gatherings') really angered me. Please simply accept my feelings on that as a statement of fact - I don't want to start a political discussion. Amongst family and friends some people have been great. Mrs C has looked after me by bringing meals upstairs to my 'bachelor flat' within the house. Master C (now with his own family) has sent messages most days asking how I am. Many friends have asked after me - although often via Mrs C rather than directly to me :? .

But others .... well others have not been so great. On hearing my news, one person emailed to say that the whole Covid thing was a fuss, they weren't bothered, so were meeting up with mates down the pub, while not even saying "sorry to hear about you" or "I hope you are OK" .... and that was from a person who really should care. My social life has been restricted to being online, and I was really disappointed to read more than one FB friend saying that there was no point having a booster just now, might get one next year, or I'll get another next winter like with the flu etc. And none of them would listen to any science, logic or common sense. Their fingers were metaphorically in their ears going "La la la. I'm not listening. I'm not listening. Ha ha" :roll:

I know there is a lot of Covid restrictions fatigue at the moment, but there are some complete idiots out there at the moment. I'm heartily fed up of them.

Anyway, to end on a positive note. I'll will be out and about soon. And I have remained asymptomatic which is really good news. Now that I have understood that a false positive PCR is exceedingly rare, I can now be confident that I have had Covid twice with no ill effects. That doesn't mean I might not get ill with it in the future, but it makes me feel better about it.

We are so lucky to live in a world where science has been able to respond to Covid so quickly and effectively. More particularly we are lucky to live in a country that can afford the vaccines and was able to support the economy throughout the worst of the pandemic.

C

Dod101
The full Lemon

Re: Moan about other people and Covid

Postby Dod101 » December 13th, 2021, 12:03 pm

I am sorry to hear about your frustrations. Unfortunately people can be ignorant, stupid and selfish all at the same time. Some of course are probably just unthinking.

Do you have any idea how you caught the bug? I only ask from the point of view of trying to continue to avoid it.

Dod

pje16
Lemon Half

Postby pje16 » December 13th, 2021, 12:11 pm

Don't get me started on selfish and idiotic behaviour
I am on a driving rant
On the A1 near me a major water pipe burst has caused chaos on all local roads since Friday, a 5 min run can now take half an houror more
Selfish parking and the inability to look ahead for 60-70m, and see that you should stop to let cars come the other way, (as the parked vehicles and the queue ahead of you is blocking cars on the other side of the road) just show how many idiots are among us :roll:

Clariman
Lemon Quarter

Postby Clariman » December 13th, 2021, 12:15 pm

Dod101 wrote:I am sorry to hear about your frustrations. Unfortunately people can be ignorant, stupid and selfish all at the same time. Some of course are probably just unthinking.

Do you have any idea how you caught the bug? I only ask from the point of view of trying to continue to avoid it.

Dod

Well in the Spring I have zero idea how I caught it. I had hardly been anywhere other than getting my first vaccine. My other half had been to a few church services so one theory was that she had it asymptomatically before me and then passed it to me. However, she tested negative at the time.

This time around there is still no obvious contact with anyone positive for Covid, but plenty of places where it could have happened. Various rehearsals - some more socially distanced than others, a couple of performances in church settings, or catching it from asymptomatic family members? But no family members have tested positive on LFTs or PCRs.

It is out there and any form of human contact is a risk.

pje16
Lemon Half

Postby pje16 » December 13th, 2021, 12:17 pm

Clariman wrote:It is out there and any form of human contact is a risk.

Couldn't agree more
Stay safe all.... please

Loup321
Lemon Slice

Postby Loup321 » December 13th, 2021, 12:38 pm

First, I'm glad to hear that you're physically feeling okay, but sorry to hear you're feeling so isolated.

Second, A MASSIVE THANK YOU for being so considerate and isolating properly like you've been told to. Some people don't. So well done for getting through the loneliness and frustration and doing your bit. It's really appreciated. And anyone else reading this who is just getting on with things, getting vaccines and boosters when it's suggested, wearing masks on the bus and in shops (even when Government says it's only advisory and not mandatory), and being sensible, kind and considerate - a big thank you to you all as well.

The country seems full of "stupid people" at the moment, so reading about people being sensible is great, and makes me smile. I suppose it's not newsworthy, and doesn't stimulate debate, but good on us for all the bits we are doing.

All the best,

LouP

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » December 13th, 2021, 12:50 pm

Loup321 wrote:A MASSIVE THANK YOU for being so considerate and isolating properly like you've been told to.

Part of the problem is that a lot of people cannot just isolate 100%. It is relatively easy for someone who is retired, fairly well off with a nice house and garden, i.e. the typical TLF demographic. But what about a single mother of a child attending school? Someone who cannot afford to miss work? People who work in people-facing jobs like retail?

Some of the people being "stupid and inconsiderate" are really much less privileged people who cannot so easily lock themselves away and avoid being in close contact with others.

Loup321 wrote:And anyone else reading this who is just getting on with things, getting vaccines and boosters when it's suggested, wearing masks on the bus and in shops (even when Government says it's only advisory and not mandatory), and being sensible, kind and considerate - a big thank you to you all as well.

That is pretty much my approach. My life is much the same now as it was pre-Covid, except where new rules require something different e.g. new travel rules. But I am triple vaccinated, get tested if I feel I have any reason to, and wear a face covering in most public indoor situations.

However I am still going to pubs and restaurants where obviously face coverings don't work. I wish proof of vaccination was required for such places like in various countries overseas.

PS: In all this time I have only been pinged by the NHS Covid app once. I have no idea if that is above or below average.

pje16
Lemon Half

Postby pje16 » December 13th, 2021, 1:19 pm

Lootman wrote:PS: In all this time I have only been pinged by the NHS Covid app once. I have no idea if that is above or below average.

Same as me
back in July went to the pub, we weren't near anyone for more than 5 mins and both my mate and I got pinged
Both got tested - nothing -so a complete waste of being stuck indoors
that was the week 700,000 got pinged as it was tracing over too large an area
Since then location is usually switched off, however if I test positive I will do my bit and bolt the door for 10 days :D

Gersemi
Lemon Slice

Postby Gersemi » December 13th, 2021, 5:59 pm

Lootman wrote:
PS: In all this time I have only been pinged by the NHS Covid app once. I have no idea if that is above or below average.

I've only been pinged once as well, despite having it activated all the time and now going about my normal business, which includes going to gigs and pubs (where I suspect not many other people have it activated) and going into shops (where it is probably used more often). My 'ping' was also back in July (the week England was in the Euro semi-finals, though I actively tried to avoid watching any football). I tested positive, so my isolotation wasn't wasted.

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » December 13th, 2021, 6:31 pm

Gersemi wrote:
Lootman wrote:PS: In all this time I have only been pinged by the NHS Covid app once. I have no idea if that is above or below average.

I've only been pinged once as well, despite having it activated all the time and now going about my normal business, which includes going to gigs and pubs (where I suspect not many other people have it activated) and going into shops (where it is probably used more often). My 'ping' was also back in July (the week England was in the Euro semi-finals, though I actively tried to avoid watching any football). I tested positive, so my isolotation wasn't wasted.

Funnily enough my ping was just last month. It was right before I was due to fly overseas, but the "fit to fly" PCR test I had to take anyway for my flight was negative, and so all was good. Was worried for a minute that I'd have to cancel my trip.

I watched the Euro final this summer in a packed pub in Islington, and no ping!

Clitheroekid
Lemon Quarter

Postby Clitheroekid » December 13th, 2021, 11:21 pm

Clariman wrote:To be honest, I even found the bright crisp days hard because it was so frustrating that I couldn't go for a nice walk.

I can't see that you'd incur any risk / pose any threat simply by going for a walk in the country.

The whole principle about self-isolation (insofar as there is one) is to stay away from other people. This is very easy to achieve on a rural ramble, and the mental boost that such a walk would give you would far outweigh any other factors.

Yes, you would technically be breaking the regulations, but I think you'd be justified in looking at the purpose of those regulations in deciding whether such a breach was justified. No law can be written to cover every eventuality, particularly those written in great haste and a state of ignorance, as these regulations were.

In any case if you were unlucky enough to be nicked by an officious police constable you could always plead that you'd left your home `to escape harm', which is one of the lawful exceptions to self-isolation. The word `harm' isn't defined, but it would certainly be arguable that being stuck within your house for several days had caused you mental harm, so that going for a walk would be escaping it.

"Yes Mr Clariman, an ingenious argument. Send him down!" ;)

Hallucigenia
Lemon Quarter

Postby Hallucigenia » December 14th, 2021, 12:06 am

Clariman wrote:Various rehearsals - some more socially distanced than others, a couple of performances in church settings, or catching it from asymptomatic family members? But no family members have tested positive on LFTs or PCRs.

It is out there and any form of human contact is a risk.

OTOH you don't say what you were rehearsing but any kind of projecting your voice such as singing is just about the highest risk thing you can do indoors, it generates a lot of aerosols which is how the virus is transmitted. There was a famous early case of a choir in Skagit County, Washington where 1 person at the back probably infected 87% of a choir, of which three people were hospitalised and two died :
https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/69/wr/mm6919e6.htm

Not all forms of contact have the same risk - generating aerosols through singing or shouting is really bad, the "three Cs" of crowds, close-contact and confined spaces are bad, but they can be mitigated by masks (preferably N95/FFP2), ventilation and air filtration are good too. Just saying "any contact is a risk" is not particularly helpful, it's better to identify the high-risk situations and how they can be modified. But singing in a group, indoors, with no mask - is about as high-risk as it gets...

88V8
Lemon Half

Postby 88V8 » December 14th, 2021, 10:37 am

Yes, there are a lot of idiots around. There should be a special hell for people who choose to be unvaccinated.

Clitheroekid wrote:
Clariman wrote:To be honest, I even found the bright crisp days hard because it was so frustrating that I couldn't go for a nice walk.

I can't see that you'd incur any risk / pose any threat simply by going for a walk in the country.

Completely agree.
I don't believe that that the outdoor risk is or ever has been significant. Excluding of course, crowds or tight queues.

Mind you, one has to walk through the house to go in & out.... well, I think holding one's breath will take care of that.

V8

Clariman
Lemon Quarter

Postby Clariman » December 15th, 2021, 8:11 am

On my first day out of isolation we met some old friends. It was nice to see them, but they were also saying there wasn't much point getting a booster just now. Clearly there are many people who've just had enough of anything covid related: whether that be more restrictions or even additional preventative treatments. That is concerning.

pje16
Lemon Half

Postby pje16 » December 15th, 2021, 8:17 am

Clariman wrote:but they were also saying there wasn't much point getting a booster just now.

WHAT is wrong with them, are they thick or have they just heads in the sand for past two weeks :roll:

scrumpyjack
Lemon Quarter

Postby scrumpyjack » December 15th, 2021, 8:46 am

There seem to be a lot of candidates for the Darwin Award!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Darwin_Awards

pje16
Lemon Half

Postby pje16 » December 15th, 2021, 9:03 am

agreed, there are sone classics here :lol:
https://darwinawards.com/

Bminusrob
Lemon Slice

Postby Bminusrob » December 15th, 2021, 1:50 pm

I like to compare people who won't get jabbed with drink-drivers. If they were only risking their own lives, then I wouldn't be so bothered, but by their (in)action, they are risking passing the virus on to many other people, some of whom may be very vulnerable, and for various reasons, may not be able to be vaccinated.

I am against mandatory vaccination, but I am all in favour of making life as difficult as possible for people who are happy to risk other people's lives.

Clariman
Lemon Quarter

Postby Clariman » January 12th, 2022, 7:48 am

Moderator Message:
This topic was resurrected by someone arguing against vaccinations and lockdowns. Can I remind everyone that this board is not a discussion/argument board; it is for those who need to let off steam or to seek support or comfort from others. In this case it was me wanting to let off steam but I would be taking the same action on any CC topic that gets hijacked.

I have split the topic and put the posts from the point of resurrection here viewtopic.php?f=98&t=32879&p=472150#p472150

Thanks
C

WickedLester
Lemon Slice

Postby WickedLester » March 9th, 2022, 11:47 pm

I am currently at home isolating after a positive test, in fact everyone in my house has tested positive. Fortunately none of us has severe symptoms, I just feel like I have a mild cold.

I do however, feel a bit guilty. My dad tested positive Friday night so I did a test Saturday morning and that came back negative. On Sunday I felt a bit under the weather but still went to the club to have a couple of pints and watch the football. I think I probably had it then. On Monday morning early I went out to the Newsagents and bumped in to my friend walking his dog and stopped for a chat. When I got home I did another test as did my mother and they both came back positive. Now the problem is the friend who I spoke to in the morning has a disabled wife and she nearly died from Covid about a year ago and was very seriously ill for a long time. I phoned him straight away to let him know but I could never forgive myself if I gave it to him and he gave it to his wife and something terrible happened.

I really should have tested myself on Sunday when I felt a bit under the weather, particularly as my dad had it.

Return to “Comfort Cafe”