Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

I am turning into Reginald Perrin.

A friendly ear
DelianLeague
2 Lemon pips

I am turning into Reginald Perrin.

Postby DelianLeague » April 3rd, 2022, 11:11 am

Hello,

I remember watching Leonard Rossiter in The Fall and Rise of Reginald Perrin and laughing and thinking that is was very funny.
Now I fear that I am almost turning into to him. I now understand what the writer was getting at. All I can think is that I must be just bored of my job.

The worrying thing though is that I have not only started to fantasise a bit like Perrin but when a manager/colleague talks to me I also often have that voice in my head that seams to talk. It usually says stuff like "how banal" or "Ridiculous" and then I will physically answer "Great Idea"

I worry that I will get this the wrong way round one day!! Tell them physically what I am really thinking and say "Great idea" in my head. I believe that this did happen to Perrin in one of the episodes. :lol:

It hasn't helped that I have been through a worm-hole and then re-appeared in a universe where everyone is speaking an impenetrable language all of a sudden. It has literally happened overnight.
In this new dystopian world, the workplace no longer has employees that know the job inside out or have great technical ability and can understand the complete process. These people have been 'Let Go'. In there place there are Wellbeing Managers and Diversity Managers because that is what is needed in a manufacturing plant that makes Widgets. It is actually more important for the shop floor workers to be able to find a safe space than be able to find an Engineer to help them on problems with their production machine. (They let the Engineers go as well). :lol:

Anyway, I expect I will wake up soon and all will be well again. It was just a bad dream. Ah.

Now relaxing, D.L.

Mike4
Lemon Half

Re: I am turning into Reginald Perrin.

Postby Mike4 » April 3rd, 2022, 1:15 pm

I first noticed this effect when a "Job" turned into a "Role", and the personnel department became "Human Resources", or "HR". I blame the Americans.

Clariman
Lemon Quarter

Postby Clariman » April 3rd, 2022, 1:29 pm

DelianLeague wrote:Hello,

I remember watching Leonard Rossiter in The Fall and Rise of Reginald Perrin and laughing and thinking that is was very funny.
Now I fear that I am almost turning into to him. I now understand what the writer was getting at. All I can think is that I must be just bored of my job.

Come along now Perrin. I didn't get where I am today by remembering old TV programmes.

CJ

stewamax
Lemon Quarter

Postby stewamax » May 2nd, 2022, 11:11 am

For many, what matters is the freedom they have to decide how to do their job. This is directly contrary to the constraints imposed by O&M, time-and-motion study and industrial engineering – ‘scientific management’ practices publicised and pushed to extreme ends in the US by Frederick Winslow Taylor and Frank Gilbreth from 1890 onwards.
Taylor was the stopwatch man – how quickly can a worker shovel or make a widget given minutely detailed instructions on ‘the one best way' do so and with non-linear piece rate bands*: really good workers could earn much more; ‘ordinary’ ones were best laid off. Gilbreth was more concerned with eliminating unnecessary motions and streamlining the rest, although unlike Taylor, he was also concerned with making jobs physically less stressful for the worker. Together they removed any discretion from ‘the worker’; "management knew best".

* - often based on the day's productivity. If towards the end of the day a worker was getting close to the next piece-rate point, he had an additional incentive to push go even faster

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » May 2nd, 2022, 11:16 am

DelianLeague wrote:I remember watching Leonard Rossiter in The Fall and Rise of Reginald Perrin and laughing and thinking that is was very funny. Now I fear that I am almost turning into to him. I now understand what the writer was getting at. All I can think is that I must be just bored of my job.

Also known as a mid-life crisis.

By any chance do you feel tempted to grow a ponytail, buy a sports car and date a woman half your age?

monabri
Lemon Half

Postby monabri » May 2nd, 2022, 1:29 pm

That reminds me...must get a birthday card for the mother-in-law.

Source: https://pixabay.com/photos/hippopotamus ... ppo-95472/

(Free for commercial use. No attribution required)

DelianLeague
2 Lemon pips

Postby DelianLeague » May 31st, 2022, 7:56 am

Lootman wrote:
DelianLeague wrote:I remember watching Leonard Rossiter in The Fall and Rise of Reginald Perrin and laughing and thinking that is was very funny. Now I fear that I am almost turning into to him. I now understand what the writer was getting at. All I can think is that I must be just bored of my job.

Also known as a mid-life crisis.

By any chance do you feel tempted to grow a ponytail, buy a sports car and date a woman half your age?

Hello Lootman,

No to 1&2 but yes to number 3.

D.L.

Return to “Comfort Cafe”