Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Is this sick?

A friendly ear
GoSeigen
Lemon Quarter

Is this sick?

Postby GoSeigen » June 27th, 2022, 8:50 am

Just checking my moral/empathy compass here... A couple of weeks ago I and a couple of other passersby came across a dog (possibly a stray) that had been hit by a car, still alive but unable to stand up. Not knowing who the owner was I took a picture and posted it to our community WhatsApp group hoping someone could quickly identify it and letting people know where it was found, before continuing on my way.

One of the community has taken umbrage saying it's sick to post a picture of a dying dog. I had no idea I was doing anything wrong. Am I missing a vital element of compassion and social awareness?

GS
[P.S. this is Sunday evening, 25 miles from the nearest vet...]

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Re: Is this sick?

Postby bungeejumper » June 27th, 2022, 9:00 am

GoSeigen wrote:One of the community has taken umbrage saying it's sick to post a picture of a dying dog. I had no idea I was doing anything wrong. Am I missing a vital element of compassion and social awareness?

As long as the picture wasn't a mess of blood and gore, I can't see much wrong with it. We had a cat once which went missing, and we put up a poster, and I was really very grateful to the chap who knocked at the door and confirmed that it had been killed by a car (and its body taken away by the council). It wasn't good news, but it resolved the open question and it helped us to get on with grieving its loss.

BJ

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » June 27th, 2022, 9:01 am

In any neighbourhood online community there is always going to be someone who takes offence at anything. That wouldn't bother me and I would have done the same thing as you.

Perhaps with an advance warning that the attached image contains scenes that might be distressing to some?

Does your local council or fire department have an animal care, control or rescue unit, or some such? I have called ours out a couple of times for trapped or sick animals in my garden.

Clariman
Lemon Quarter

Postby Clariman » June 27th, 2022, 9:44 am

I'm with BJ on it. Another course of action would be to call RSPCA and get them to attend to it and track down owners. Don't dogs have to be chipped these days?

staffordian
Lemon Quarter

Postby staffordian » June 27th, 2022, 9:58 am

Clariman wrote:I'm with BJ on it. Another course of action would be to call RSPCA and get them to attend to it and track down owners. Don't dogs have to be chipped these days?

Agree with this.

Nothing wrong in highlighting it but I couldn't have just walked away without contacting a vet or similar if the dog was clearly suffering.

GoSeigen
Lemon Quarter

Postby GoSeigen » June 27th, 2022, 4:38 pm

staffordian wrote:
Clariman wrote:I'm with BJ on it. Another course of action would be to call RSPCA and get them to attend to it and track down owners. Don't dogs have to be chipped these days?

Agree with this.

Nothing wrong in highlighting it but I couldn't have just walked away without contacting a vet or similar if the dog was clearly suffering.

SPCA 50 miles away unfortunately. Not UK so no chipping and 50% chance it's a stray. People from nearby property had come out too and stayed with the dog. When we returned that way an hour later the dog and neighbours had gone; we just assumed he'd recovered or the owner had been located as we heard no more... although it's possible he died and was taken away. My feeling is he was either stunned temporarily or broke his back as he wasn't getting up, but not yelping in pain either, just lying there with his eyes open. Will try to find the neighbour next time we are there and ask what happened.

I was a bit taken aback at the venom of this lady; she adores her own dog, so I'll put it down to her doggy-love. I do sometimes wonder if I've missed something though...

GS

oldapple
2 Lemon pips

Postby oldapple » June 27th, 2022, 8:45 pm

GoSeigen wrote:
I do sometimes wonder if I've missed something though...

GS

I don't think you've missed anything, but I do think the lady complaining has - you were simply trying to reunite a badly injured dog with a caring owner.

pje16
Lemon Half

Postby pje16 » June 27th, 2022, 10:00 pm

Don't beat yourself up or feel bad about it
You did it with the best of intentions ( a lot of people wouldn't have bothered)
There will always be those who disagree
you did the decent thing......ignore them

GoSeigen
Lemon Quarter

Postby GoSeigen » June 28th, 2022, 7:45 am

pje16 wrote:Don't beat yourself up or feel bad about it
You did it with the best of intentions ( a lot of people wouldn't have bothered)
There will always be those who disagree
you did the decent thing......ignore them

I took her a bunch of flowers last night at 6:30pm as she apparently is going through a bad patch. It was dark already (not UK!) and her reaction as I handed them over was "A bit rude -- coming here when it's dark and cold and I'm alone."

She did sent a text later saying "Thank you the flowers are beautiful", so helpfully some good done....

GS

Return to “Comfort Cafe”