Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Wasron,jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly, for Donating to support the site

Feeling sad with Queen being no more

A friendly ear
TopStar74
Lemon Pip

Feeling sad with Queen being no more

Postby TopStar74 » September 20th, 2022, 11:45 am

Ok, this is a bit crazy and embarrassing for me. Never thought I would feel it. How could she have passed away like so suddenly! Today has been painful! Like I cannot get my mind off the Queen not being anymore with us and any photo I see is making me well up. Like the one at the entrance to Tesco or any website I go to. When she was alive I was proud she was alive and kept telling everyone I wish she goes on till she is Hundred. So I was shocked when the news was sudden and unexpected. I wish their team had let the public know in small doses that she is unwell, for a few weeks, so that we had the opportunity to know what to expect. It is tough because I am in general surrounded by anti-monarchists friends and other friends who are being sarcastic about "public grief" or comments like "all of a sudden apparently it's everyone's grandma" etc. I don't have many friends or relatives. So, cannot just talk openly to anyone and also feel a bit embarrassed to do so. I feel I need to meet someone who feels the same and am able to let my grief out and sorry if this is a bit emotional but I actually want to cry!
By the way as a confession, this also does makes me feel ashamed at secretly feeling sarcastic and laughing at someone I know who expressed grief and cried when a celebrity died sometime ago, at that time I thought, how fake and ridiculous. Now I know! Sometimes we only realise how much we miss someone in public lives, when they are no more.

XFool
The full Lemon

Re: Feeling sad with Queen being no more

Postby XFool » September 20th, 2022, 12:02 pm

TopStar74 wrote:Ok, this is a bit crazy and embarrassing for me. Never thought I would feel it. How could she have passed away like so suddenly! Today has been painful! Like I cannot get my mind off the Queen not being anymore with us and any photo I see is making me well up. Like the one at the entrance to Tesco or any website I go to. When she was alive I was proud she was alive and kept telling everyone I wish she goes on till she is Hundred. So I was shocked when the news was sudden and unexpected. I wish their team had let the public know in small doses that she is unwell, for a few weeks, so that we had the opportunity to know what to expect.

Realistically I think, in effect, that was done. She had obviously weakened in recent years and it had been publicised that she was recently unwell. We don't know the actual cause of her death but with someone of her age it could easily be sudden - from heart failure or stroke.

TopStar74 wrote:It is tough because I am in general surrounded by anti-monarchists friends and other friends who are being sarcastic about "public grief" or comments like "all of a sudden apparently it's everyone's grandma" etc. I don't have many friends or relatives. So, cannot just talk openly to anyone and also feel a bit embarrassed to do so. I feel I need to meet someone who feels the same and am able to let my grief out and sorry if this is a bit emotional but I actually want to cry!

Perhaps you may feel easier if you do cry. Especially if it's what you genuinely feel

TopStar74 wrote:By the way as a confession, this also does makes me feel ashamed at secretly feeling sarcastic and laughing at someone I know who expressed grief and cried when a celebrity died sometime ago, at that time I thought, how fake and ridiculous. Now I know! Sometimes we only realise how much we miss someone in public lives, when they are no more.

People respond differently to these things and for different reasons. One person's "celebrity" may mean nothing to another. Similarly with one person's monarch.

I am no fanatical royalist but neither am I a republican! The late Queen has been a great asset to our nation and a shining example of duty performed for seventy years - I can remember her coronation. It is no wonder she is and will be widely missed and mourned.

pje16
Lemon Half

Postby pje16 » September 20th, 2022, 2:49 pm

XFool wrote:The late Queen has been a great asset to our nation and a shining example of duty performed for seventy years - I can remember her coronation. It is no wonder she is and will be widely missed and mourned.

Summed up very nicely @XFool

I am not sad, (my feelings are based on the fact I didn't know her, so why would I feel upset)
The same applied to Princess Diana.
I was shocked on both occasions.

I did feel a great sense of pride watching the State Funeral on TV yesterday
Proud to be British, we do that sort of thing so very well

DrFfybes
Lemon Quarter

Postby DrFfybes » September 20th, 2022, 3:50 pm

pje16 wrote:I am not sad, (my feelings are based on the fact I didn't know her, so why would I feel upset)
The same applied to Princess Diana.
I was shocked on both occasions.

For me this is entirely different. I had no interest in Diana and regarded her (and still do) as a pushy celebrity wanabee who was more Andrew's age but wanted the Top Job and then couldn't handle the pressure. She came and she went.

However the Queen was different - she has been one of the constants throughout most people's lives. It will be a while before I can think of us having a King.

Plus, she was a simlar age to my mum, was crowned the same year mum and dad married, the family photos are of a similar style and fashion to the ones of the Queen's life, and they died within 12 months of each other.

Paul

pje16
Lemon Half

Postby pje16 » September 20th, 2022, 3:57 pm

DrFfybes wrote:I had no interest in Diana and regarded her (and still do) as a pushy celebrity wanabee
Paul

That's exactly how I think of Meghan

Clariman
Lemon Quarter

Postby Clariman » September 20th, 2022, 9:12 pm

We all have our opinions and sense of loss about different people. However negative references to Diana and Megan are not on topic.

Regarding the OP, there is no need to be embarrassed about how you feel. The Queen was a remarkable woman, irrespective of our views on monarchy. And we all react differently. Look after yourself and feel free to share your feelings here.

C

AsleepInYorkshire
Lemon Half

Postby AsleepInYorkshire » September 21st, 2022, 12:35 am

Over the last several days since our Queen died I have pondered on much. I was [desperately] hoping that she would live to be 100. I have no idea why. I suppose it just seemed like the perfect culmination, something she deserved because she'd earned it.

There are many who look at what others have. "The big green eyed monster" is always amongst us. This monster looks upon everyone else with envy and disgust. It knows no better. It was taught well.

Queen Elizabeth worked until two days before she died. Without preaching, without any kind of advertising, leaflet distribution or even a word behind closed doors she took the Monarchy to a sacred place. A place where we can all, regardless of our politics, our religion or our economic status look on in complete respect. There was only one person who could have done what she did. No one else could have come close.

Whilst we embrace that legacy, whilst we weep, with great sadness, we can simply, honestly and with all the humility we can muster say we were here at this moment when history will echo down the centuries.

Our Queen believed that upon her death she was passing to a greater place. And that helps me to cope with my great sadness. Even in death she was devoted to others, and smoothed the way for them to cope with sadness and sorrow.

AiY(D)

Sunnypad
Lemon Slice

Postby Sunnypad » September 21st, 2022, 12:41 pm

OP

The day it happened, I was shocked how I dreaded it and how sad I felt. It has been a funny year and the Jubilee party I attended was the highlight. So lovely to walk up mum's road and see all the flags etc.

I think a lot of people, including republicans, liked the Queen.

Seeing Charles do his walkabout the next day perked me up a bit.

I don't have live TV so not saturated with it, or any other news, so that doesn't influence me.

I like Meghan btw.

It has definitely been weird the last few days. The Queue stuff has been excellent, best of British!

Do you know there is a Psalm for the Queue? I think Her Majesty would enjoy it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xHwUycV6wSY

Return to “Comfort Cafe”