Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Wasron,jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly, for Donating to support the site

Faulty on arrival.

A friendly ear
Gerry557
Lemon Quarter

Faulty on arrival.

Postby Gerry557 » July 14th, 2023, 5:36 pm

I ordered an indoor/outdoor electric grill. I'd been looking, well the boss was looking and it came on offer during Amazon Prime so that swung it. 8-)

Ordered and arrived. The box looking a little worse for wear. Everything else looked OK apart from a small scratch on the grill. It looks like a tiny bit of the none stick has been knocked off. :roll:

The paperwork says any problems contact them, the manufacturer first. The phone number gives a message saying the lines close at 1500 but I sent them an email with photos.

Their reply was as its in the 28 day period it was up to Amazon to sort and gave me Amazon's phone number. Amazon say I can get a refund but not a replacement. :evil:

Although it's still for sale on Amazon but the price is much more, almost double. :shock: I contacted the manufacturer again and explained my situation but they say they don't have a spare part and it's still down to Amazon to sort and maybe offer me a bit of a discount. This thought is unlikely.

So what to do. Accept the damage and likely hood that it might it might rust and food might stick. Maybe this has been opened previously based on the box condition and extra wrapping and the prime discount is a way to shift it. The price is now almost double to rebuy a "good one" There were other providers that did it pre prime for approx 50% more but they have all upped their prices now too. :?

I feel frustrated caught in between the system that wants to force me to loose out on what was a good deal. I'm having underhand thoughts. :idea:

didds
Lemon Half

Re: Faulty on arrival.

Postby didds » July 14th, 2023, 6:36 pm

My 2p.

Get the refund.

Look for a 2nd hand good condition item (FB marketplace, ebay, etc etc)

didds

kempiejon
Lemon Quarter

Postby kempiejon » July 14th, 2023, 6:41 pm

On many parts or manuals one will find a part number. Stick that into tnternet which shows suppliers.

Dicky99
Lemon Slice

Postby Dicky99 » July 14th, 2023, 7:30 pm

Gerry557 wrote:I ordered an indoor/outdoor electric grill. I'd been looking, well the boss was looking and it came on offer during Amazon Prime so that swung it. 8-)

Ordered and arrived. The box looking a little worse for wear. Everything else looked OK apart from a small scratch on the grill. It looks like a tiny bit of the none stick has been knocked off. :roll:

The paperwork says any problems contact them, the manufacturer first. The phone number gives a message saying the lines close at 1500 but I sent them an email with photos.

Their reply was as its in the 28 day period it was up to Amazon to sort and gave me Amazon's phone number. Amazon say I can get a refund but not a replacement. :evil:

Although it's still for sale on Amazon but the price is much more, almost double. :shock: I contacted the manufacturer again and explained my situation but they say they don't have a spare part and it's still down to Amazon to sort and maybe offer me a bit of a discount. This thought is unlikely.

So what to do. Accept the damage and likely hood that it might it might rust and food might stick. Maybe this has been opened previously based on the box condition and extra wrapping and the prime discount is a way to shift it. The price is now almost double to rebuy a "good one" There were other providers that did it pre prime for approx 50% more but they have all upped their prices now too. :?

I feel frustrated caught in between the system that wants to force me to loose out on what was a good deal. I'm having underhand thoughts. :idea:

The question that comes to mind given that the price to buy one now would be double is... if you had not bought this one but today you saw one advertised at half price because it was slightly imperfect but otherwise in full working order would you consider it a bargain not to be missed or would you give it a miss?

servodude
Lemon Half

Postby servodude » July 15th, 2023, 1:19 am

Get back to Amazon
Do it via your account and the live chat (have photos ready - they might ask for them to be emailed for review at the time)
And push for a better resolution
- typically a gift card balance (I've had two from prime day purchases already)

Hypster
Lemon Slice

Postby Hypster » July 15th, 2023, 7:03 am

If I were in your situation, I'd return for a refund and wait until the price drops back. Amazon's prices seem to adjust dynamically - either by the number of people searching for that particular item or maybe their stock levels.

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Postby Itsallaguess » July 15th, 2023, 7:24 am

Gerry557 wrote:
I feel frustrated caught in between the system that wants to force me to loose out on what was a good deal.

Hypster wrote:
If I were in your situation, I'd return for a refund and wait until the price drops back.

Amazon's prices seem to adjust dynamically - either by the number of people searching for that particular item or maybe their stock levels.

I'd also perhaps expect the Amazon pricing of something like an 'indoor/outdoor grill' to be fairly seasonal to some extent, and using the CamelCamel price-history site linked below for a typical one from Amazon seems to suggest that prices dropped on that particular product from around September of last year -

https://uk.camelcamelcamel.com/product/B08FJ72KFV

It would certainly be worth the OP putting their own Amazon product code in the above link and seeing the Amazon price-history of their grill - with the Amazon code being the B********* reference at the end of above URL link.

In addition to that, the above CamelCamel site can also be used to set up automatic email alerts once a lower price is ever reached on Amazon, and so using the price-history as a guide for fairly high-cost stuff like this, and where I'm looking to take advantage of fairly regular price-dips, then I tend to pick an email-alert price slightly above the last couple of regular 'dips', from where I can then keep a closer eye on things when I receive that email alert, rather than thinking that I have to monitor Amazon prices all the time, so that's also perhaps an avenue for exploration if the OP decides to get a refund on this particular defected item...

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

Gerry557
Lemon Quarter

Postby Gerry557 » July 15th, 2023, 8:54 am

didds wrote:My 2p.

Get the refund.

Look for a 2nd hand good condition item (FB marketplace, ebay, etc etc)

didds

A second hand one won't cut the mustard unfortunately. I already have a gas grill but need to cook gluten free without cross contamination. Hence the brand new one that will be kept for just such occasions.

Gerry557
Lemon Quarter

Postby Gerry557 » July 15th, 2023, 8:59 am

Dicky99 wrote:
Gerry557 wrote:I ordered an indoor/outdoor electric grill. I'd been looking, well the boss was looking and it came on offer during Amazon Prime so that swung it. 8-)

The question that comes to mind given that the price to buy one now would be double is... if you had not bought this one but today you saw one advertised at half price because it was slightly imperfect but otherwise in full working order would you consider it a bargain not to be missed or would you give it a miss?

Dicky99. What you say is sounds perfectly reasonable but my brain says I have something good and it doesn't want to let go of that now.

Gerry557
Lemon Quarter

Postby Gerry557 » July 15th, 2023, 9:12 am

Itsallaguess wrote:
Gerry557 wrote:
I feel frustrated caught in between the system that wants to force me to loose out on what was a good deal.

Hypster wrote:
If I were in your situation, I'd return for a refund and wait until the price drops back.

Amazon's prices seem to adjust dynamically - either by the number of people searching for that particular item or maybe their stock levels.

I'd also perhaps expect the Amazon pricing of something like an 'indoor/outdoor grill' to be fairly seasonal to some extent, and using the CamelCamel price-history site linked below for a typical one from Amazon seems to suggest that prices dropped on that particular product from around September of last year -

https://uk.camelcamelcamel.com/product/B08FJ72KFV

It would certainly be worth the OP putting their own Amazon product code in the above link and seeing the Amazon price-history of their grill - with the Amazon code being the B********* reference at the end of above URL link.

In addition to that, the above CamelCamel site can also be used to set up automatic email alerts once a lower price is ever reached on Amazon, and so using the price-history as a guide for fairly high-cost stuff like this, and where I'm looking to take advantage of fairly regular price-dips, then I tend to pick an email-alert price slightly above the last couple of regular 'dips', from where I can then keep a closer eye on things when I receive that email alert, rather than thinking that I have to monitor Amazon prices all the time, so that's also perhaps an avenue for exploration if the OP decides to get a refund on this particular defected item...

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

I have used 3camels but the recent lower pricing was still much higher even the lowest prices were 30% more than I paid. Hence why I bit during the offer. I'm aware of Amazon's dynamic pricing. In fact I think it's worse than that as 3 camels is showing a price that is lower than the price I get when clicking the link.

I might have to play with a different device and incognito mode to see if it's a cookie related.

The other issues with waiting is that it was going to be used for a particular occasion so is a bit time sensitive.

I've bought a BBQ and a fan recently so I'm sorry I caused this weather we are having whilst the rest of Europe burns :D

didds
Lemon Half

Postby didds » July 15th, 2023, 10:51 am

Gerry557 wrote:A second hand one won't cut the mustard unfortunately. I already have a gas grill but need to cook gluten free without cross contamination. Hence the brand new one that will be kept for just such occasions.

aha! Got you ENTIRELY.

Brand new at "new" full price then I guess.

servodude
Lemon Half

Postby servodude » July 15th, 2023, 11:09 am

didds wrote:
Gerry557 wrote:A second hand one won't cut the mustard unfortunately. I already have a gas grill but need to cook gluten free without cross contamination. Hence the brand new one that will be kept for just such occasions.

aha! Got you ENTIRELY.

Would grill mats not work?

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » July 15th, 2023, 11:31 am

Excellent advice. I've always found Amazon to be excellent about refunds, which have generally been instant once the goods have been collected from you.

As for a replacement, I often Google the model number plus the word "cheapest" to see what's out there. If it's really the T14039BLK you're talking about, I'm getting prices between £89.99 (Ebay "new other", cosmetic scratch) and £139 perfect from Pricerunner.

BJ

Gerry557
Lemon Quarter

Postby Gerry557 » July 15th, 2023, 12:18 pm

servodude wrote:
didds wrote:

aha! Got you ENTIRELY.

Thanks servo dude. I thought that it might be too risky should a wayward sausage roll off. I don't want any cross contamination. I wasn't sure if they were sided as one side would be on the gluten griddle and I might mix it up.

Gerry557
Lemon Quarter

Postby Gerry557 » July 15th, 2023, 12:24 pm

bungeejumper wrote:Excellent advice. I've always found Amazon to be excellent about refunds, which have generally been instant once the goods have been collected from you.

As for a replacement, I often Google the model number plus the word "cheapest" to see what's out there. If it's really the T14039BLK you're talking about, I'm getting prices between £89.99 (Ebay "new other", cosmetic scratch) and £139 perfect from Pricerunner.

BJ

Well my cosmetic scratch is tiny compared to that ebay one.

I suspect a close family member might buy one, obviously more expensive that might have a problem and we might be able a good one between us. :shock:

servodude
Lemon Half

Postby servodude » July 15th, 2023, 1:09 pm

Gerry557 wrote:
servodude wrote:

Thanks servo dude. I thought that it might be too risky should a wayward sausage roll off. I don't want any cross contamination. I wasn't sure if they were sided as one side would be on the gluten griddle and I might mix it up.

True. I've used them in the past to give me a 'fresh start" on a BBQ when having a vege partition, but if there was a health component (such as serious allergy) I'd probably go a bit further to keep things apart.

gryffron
Lemon Quarter

Postby gryffron » July 16th, 2023, 12:20 am

Section 23 of the Consumer Rights Act 2015 says you have a legal right to a replacement for faulty goods if you so choose. Provided this is “practical” for the retailer. I.e.It is still in production, not a custom made-to-order etc. the fact the price has doubled is NOT a valid reason for Amazon to refuse to replace the item. It applies fully even to “sale” prices. Unless they made clear at the time the reduced price was for damaged/returned goods?

So yes, get back onto Amazon and push harder.

The manufacturer is correct that you should claim off the retailer, not them. Not sure where 28 days comes into it. Legal rights say that is always the case.

Gryff

AsleepInYorkshire
Lemon Half

Postby AsleepInYorkshire » July 16th, 2023, 12:39 am

Last year my parents in law informed me they were waiting for a refund, for a faulty wardrobe, from The Range. The Range told them that their contract was with the supplier.

Long story, short version, I had a refund in their bank in (iirc) 10 days.

I emailed The Range and informed tham that they had 72hrs to make a refund or I would open a County Court Summons against them. Standard scripted reply, which I thought was the best I've seen to date, was that I was waisting my time.

I wasn't.

You can open a County Court Claim online. If you haven't done it before it takes about 30 minutes. If, like me you use the facility regularly it takes about five minutes.

Try this link

AiY(D)

Gerry557
Lemon Quarter

Postby Gerry557 » July 16th, 2023, 10:17 am

gryffron wrote:Section 23 of the Consumer Rights Act 2015 says you have a legal right to a replacement for faulty goods if you so choose. Provided this is “practical” for the retailer. I.e.It is still in production, not a custom made-to-order etc. the fact the price has doubled is NOT a valid reason for Amazon to refuse to replace the item. It applies fully even to “sale” prices. Unless they made clear at the time the reduced price was for damaged/returned goods?

So yes, get back onto Amazon and push harder.

The manufacturer is correct that you should claim off the retailer, not them. Not sure where 28 days comes into it. Legal rights say that is always the case.

Gryff

Yes I don't understand why they won't do a replacement. Especially when they are still selling the same product, albeit at a different price.

I'm not sure if different traders are part of the issue. Ie there is no stock from the shop that provided it to me and it's on sale and in stock but from another different trader. Sometimes I note if it's provided by amazon or another "shop or trader"

Mine was provided by Amazon EU S.a.r.L.

Gerry557
Lemon Quarter

Postby Gerry557 » August 10th, 2023, 12:58 pm

An update just to close this down.

A family member ordered the exact same model that had a very similar fault and sent it back for a full refund.

Fortunately my fault "washed off" so now is fine and I have kept it as the price was half that of the other family member.

I shall be using it again today with said family member who must be upset not having a fully working BBQ.

Return to “Comfort Cafe”